McGregor gone?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Regarding your last comment, I think but I'm not 100%, that he was saying it's diaz's turn to promote the fight as he didn't have much to do last time (promotion wise).

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Maybe, but he didn't come across very well in the way he said it IMO. If you give him the benefit of the doubt, it could be interpreted that way.

Then again, considering the other things he said about other fighters, I am not so sure he should get the benefit of the doubt.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Evidence or ban for this troll please - this is the same crap he trots out every MMA thread (and in fact predicted Connor would win due to a fix)

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Mod note:

Can you avoid the unnecessary ellipses in the future please mate. There is a rule about posting in plain normal english. Thanks!

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

6. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

Yes you are correct with what you said about me predicting that Conor would beat Nate because even if Nate could win the UFC would never allow it to happen. I think I said that even if the fight was legit, Connor would beat him anyway. So now I have egg on my face and you want an explanation. Look I don't have an explanation for Nate winning the fight other than to say maybe the UFC was confident McGregor would win and so didn't bother to fix the fight. This is what I thought to begin with, but as events have unfolded since that time I now do have a possible explanation for Conor losing to Nate. I will not be sharing it with you however because I have had a personal Email from a moderator warning me to stop with my conspiracy theories. One last thing though Hannibal, what you said at the start of your post "Evidence or ban for this troll please"

Yeah the whole evidence thing is kinda off

If you don’t have documented proof,then it didn’t happen?:rolleyes:

Come on Hannibal you know better than that.:D

7. Southpaw535

Mod note again:

Two no-nos here for calling someone a troll and for asking for a ban. You've been here long enough to know there's a report button mate, please either use that or PM me or another mod in future rather than posting things like this in the thread. Cheers.

8. Southpaw535

More mod notes!

And this one is to everyone in this thread. The talk about fight fixing stops at this post. Any replies to this one are just going to be deleted so don't waste time and bandwidth that could be spent looking up kittens sitting in boxes typing one out.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

UFC 200 has been on the BBC sports news twice in 5 days. I'd suggest Conor's doing plenty of promotion.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This is the acid test for me in terms of MMA's popularity outside practising martial artists - if the BBC is starting to report on it, it's becoming more wider-known.

11. aaradia

That quote is misrepresenting things.

The criticisms against Roussey were her being distracted by working in and promoting outside things besides her fights- like her movies. Pretty sure Sports Illustrated photo shoots aren't required either as she was the first to do that one.

Conor is talking about doing fight promotions that he is obligated to in his contract for said fight.

Not the same thing.

And no Greg, I don't have to read their contracts to know it is in there. No one is denying that fight promotion is part of the contractual obligation. I watched the UFC 200 press conference last night. All the other fighters were there.

They were doing commercial shoots when everyone was in for that press conference too.

Even though Macgregor said promoting isn't part of his job, he later talks about it acknowledging it is what he is expected to do and that he is asking for an exception for himself.

12. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

It looks like Conor is playing games again on twitter.:D
    Only time will tell.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Maybe not, but you do need to read it to know how clauses are worded. In Eddie Alvarez’s contract – the only UFC contract that has ever been disclosed to my knowledge so let’s I’ll use that as a reference point - the wording was that the fighter must “make appearances at a reasonable number of press conferences, interviews and other sponsorship and promotional activities (any of which may be telecast, broadcast, recorded or filmed) at times and places reasonably designated by ZUFFA, without additional compensation therefore. For such promotional activities, ZUFFA will arrange and pay for Fighter's reasonable travel, hotel and meal accommodations”. IF the wording on McGregor’s contract is similar, McGregor and his legal team can very well argue that putting a halt to his training camp, flying from Iceland to Vegas and back is not a reasonable request and that the number other promotional events he is doing for this fight make meets the criteria set forth by the contract he signed. Without insider knowledge of what the contract - which no one on this forum is privy to - everyone would be better served by refraining from making grand statements about what constitutes a breach or about him not signing if he didn’t like it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Source: http://www.mmamania.com/2016/4/25/1...-event-thanks-dana-white-lorenzo-fertitta-mma

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Lol@ late replacement. If he's in he has three months of training. Unless they mean "if someone else bails".

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That's what he means. If Diaz or his opponent get injured or some other welterweight on the card gets injured Mcgregor would be ready.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well Diaz was going on about how he wouldn't fight anybody but McGregor. Maybe it's back on.

18. aaradia

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He's making a point and he's making it really really well.

I'm a little flabbergasted you keep on missing it.

20. aaradia

I am not "missing it"- I am disagreeing about its effectiveness. Looks to me from reading other MMA news sites that his antics are starting to have the tide turned against him. A lot of people on MMA forums are starting to express being tired of his antics and that he is starting to sound desperate. It seems fairly evenly split, but I think the more he does stuff like this, the worse he will fare.

He has lied on tweets in the past. About retiring. About fighting other opponents. When fans start to feel they can't trust what he says, his actions are going to backfire. I see evidence this is already starting to happen. See this article about his false tweet history.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/04/conor-...-200-but-hes-the-only-one-saying-it-right-now

If he keeps tweeting false statements, people will pay less and less attention to them. Again, the boy who cried wolf syndrome.