Mayhaps be moving.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by narcsarge, Apr 22, 2015.

1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

:eek: Good chance me and the Mrs. will be relocating to rural Missouri. I may be transferring my position and will relocate and work in Kansas City, Mo. Looking at property within 45 minutes of N. Kansas City. Wondering if we have any Mappers that are in the area? I will be leaving sunny, sub-tropical Florida for the country life. Would love to meet up with anyone who can help me get the "lay of the land".

:D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Good luck on your move!

3. narcsarge

Few more "ducks" to line up raptor. Mrs. needs to see if she can transfer or if she has to find a new position. We've family in the area but I don't want to be an hour and 20 minutes from work iN a place with snow and ice.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Will it be a bit like in 'Winter's Bone'? That was set in rural Missouri if I remember rightly. Didn't look very nice, to be perfectly honest.

Edit: I hope it'll be a lot nicer than that for you, of course!

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sounds like the temperature will be a bit of a shock!

Best of luck with it all :)

Mitch

6. narcsarge

@ Johnno; don't know the movie you reference but it is the central plains. More concerned witth twisters and damaging hail.

@ Mitch; the State is pretty much on parallel with Maryland where I grew up. When I attended my Mom's funeral in January 2014 the temps in MD were in the teens with 10 inches of snow for over a week. I could still drive in those conditions and stayed warm. Having 4 seasons, sounds odd for me to say this, will be nice to get back to.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You all going?

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

kansas city is a wonderful place. i'm sure you'll find lots of good people everywhere in that whole area. as you would everywhere and anywhere in these lovely united states. first thing you do is get some barbq at roseland. then try the barbq at gates, then brobeck's, then buy yourself a defibrillator. :)

@johnno, that movie is set in southeast missouri in the ozarks area. it's an excellent movie about poverty, despair and the very real problem with meth in rural america. jennifer lawrence is in it and i think a must see film.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Those red shoes of yours will come in handy:)

10. narcsarge

Thank you sir. Only BBQ I will be able to compare K.C. BBQ to is N.C. bbq. Thanks for the points-of-interest!

11. narcsarge

Well, it's official. I am transferring from sunny, semi-tropical South Florida to the central plain state of Missouri. I know when I have to be there to start work but not when I will be leaving. Back to 4 seasons, snow, icey roads, and possible tornadoes. Meh. I have survived 4 hurricanes.

I will coninue to train TKD but I am hoping to find a decent BJJ school to check out. I know our Mitch is relocating as well so my UK brother and I are sharing more then just love of martial art.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Good luck!

So I assume its going to be a massive difference?

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm only aiming to move half a mile, not as big an adventure as you!

Hope it goes well :)

Mitch

14. narcsarge

Not really Sir 'shroom. I grew up just outside of Washington D.C. so the temps and climate will be about the same. Might have to get use to farm life and more space then here but I like a bit of space and privacy.

A bit more distance for me Mitch but moving a whole house 1300 miles, or a few miles, is just $$ at my age. I'm going to make 2 rental truck trips North. My wife will have a full on moving company pack the rest so when she heads up, all she will have is her and the pooch. :evil: