May Armageddon, York Hall, London-Fight Report

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by SoKKlab, May 17, 2004.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello All,
    Last Night (Sunday 16th May 2004), myself and my girlfriend went to see the Muay Thai fights at York Hall, Bethnal Green, London 'May Armageddon'.

here's a brief fight report for anyone interested:
    Firstly, I missed fights 1-8, due to being, er, late and also knowing full well that the seats in York hall are rock wood solid and your bum goes numb if you sit on them for too long....Fights 8-15 were about 3 hours worth as it was.

Fights 8-15:

Fight 8 between Sak Nayagam (KO gym, London, UK) vs Trevor Smandych (National, Canada) for the WMTO Intercontinental title, full thai rules, 5x3 rounds at 67kg.

Sak was quite technical in his punch/ elbow combinations, but he had nothing that could stop the stocky, muscular Canadian, who pretty much walked through everything that Sak threw at him. Also the Canadian's basic Punch/ Kick combinations worked better, they had more impact and were more telling. Most of Sak's elbow strikes did very little, even though it was nice seeing him throw the occassional spinning back elbow and even better sok kratung (Levering upwards with the back of the elbow point whilst driving forwards). Unanimous points decision to Smandych and deservedly so, although it wasn't a popular decision with the partisan local crowd, as the KO gym is just up the road.

Fight 9
    Errol Tapper (Nemesis) vs Lee war (Cobra/ Tim Izli Gym) (listed as such, although I don't think that was his name) . 3x2 min rounds at 75kgs.

The Cobra Gym fighter was a bit out of his depth but fought gamely, if a bit wild, if he'd kept his chin down more, worked on his clinch work and was a bit less ragged, the decision would of been a different one as when his punches conected they looked like being able to knock the lanky tapper over. But Errol Tapper won the unanimous points decision in something that resembled a pub-fight. Tapper was so over-joyed he celebrated like he'd won the lottery and a world title all at once and one of the Cobra Gym trainers got a bit affronted over it-which was fair enough as E. Tapper's over-joyedness could well of been seen by some to be on the point of humiliation, although I doubt if there was any malice in it, just over-exuberance.

Fight 10
    WMTO European title Full Thai Rules 5x3 min rounds at 63.5 Kgs.

Michael Showers (Nai Khanom Thai gym) vs Seamus Cogan (Ireland)
    The Irishman Cogan came forward from the first bell, M. Showers fought a very technical fight on the Counter-attack, with some very crisp Clinchwork skills and some excellent kicking. Cogan was also a good fighter but got clobbered alot due to his taking the fight to Showers. The First three rounds were fairly even, during the fourth however, Showers started to break Cogans rhythm, but again the Irishman showed his metal, sucking it up. Unfortunately at the end of Round Four, Cogan fell right on the bell and twist his Knee (Inside Cruciate?) badly and couldn't continue (TKO). Michael Showers wins. Overall Showers would of won it anyway, as he had the upperhand in terms of skill and fought a very tight counter-attacking game.

Fight 11
    I think that this was the first Women's Fight of the Night, 4x2min rounds, International Prestige Rules, between Jamie Ricketts (Russ Williams Gym, Wales) against Erin Linley (National, Canada). 50 kgs.

It was obvious from the bell, that the Canadian was technically the better of the two and her techniques were crisp and skillful, good Kicking and Clinchwork. As the fight progressed, Erin gained the clear advantage, with all-round Muay Thai, Jamie for the most part hung in there, but didn't have any answers to the Canadian's superior clinchwork and looked a bit out of her depth, which is a shame, because when Jamie connected with punches, she really gave the Canadian Something to think about as they had power, the problem for Jamie, was that she couldn't keep the Canadian girl at bay and utilise said punches to any great advantage. Unanimous Points decision to Erin Linley, Canada.

Fight 12
    Richard Fenwick (Keddles gym) vs Richard Jones (Beastmasters/ Pele Reid), 72.5 kgs Prestige Full Thai Rules, 5x3 min rounds.

These two were fairly evenly matched and knocked lumps out of each other, until a clash of heads in the third round saw R. Jones go on the defensive, as R. Fenwick tried to press home his advantage. despite his bleeding eyebrow R. jones battled courageously and looked like he was just going to nick it, until he was caught by a flurry of strong punches in the corner in the fourth and went down. He got up again and looked like he could easily continue, but the Ref stopped it on a TKO at the end of the Fourth. winner R. Fenwick.

Fight 13
    Leon Chevallier (Ko gym, London) vs Jesse Saunders (Woking Muay Thai). 5x2 min rounds 67kgs (No Elbows). Okay, i admit, we wanted Jesse to win, as he is a mate of my Girlfriends...

Leon was shorter and more powerfully built and wanted to fight in close. Jesse kept him at bay with some good evasion and some solid basic punch kick combinations, he even knocked Leon down in the second round with a punch that didn't seem to carry any power whatsoever. Unfortunately Leon was just stronger than Jesse and everytime they clinched, Jesse was having a hard time of it. In the Third Leon Chevallier knocked Jesse Saunders down in the corner with some strong punches and the Ref stopped it. Speaking to Jesse later, he said that Leon had hit him the cracked ribs that hadn't long ago healed and after that he couldn't do much. (Have a rest!). TKO Winner L Chevalier Rd 3.

Fight 14
    Leo Elenor (Minotaur, UK) vs Giedruif Gracaeveiuf (Lithuania) 3x2 min Rds 95kgs.

Alright, people my sort of size, instead of these tiny wee folk. The Lithuanian was not having a good day, I think this was probably his first fight and one he will remember for all the wrong reasons. Firstly he jumped over the ropes, caught his foot on the top rope and splatted himself into the ring face first, like a nob of butter-not a good start but it did produce the biggest laugh of the night. Frankly he looked unconditioned and he couldn't really do Muay Thai very well, as he kept chambering his Roundhouse kicks and covered most punches with his face. Leo Elenor looked to be a decent fighter and is quite an amazing looking guy, as he's Albino and his skin is pure white, amazing to look at and not bad at Muay Thai either, as he dispatched his Lithuanian fooe inside the First round with a decent three punch and Roundhouse to the head combi. Giedriuf didn't fancy continuing and who can blame him, as he was completely outclassed. Result TKO. Winner Leo Elenor in the First.

Fight 15
    Tricia McKeary (Beastmasters/ Pele's Gym) vs Rayelene Kellock (National, Canada). 63.5 kgs International Prestige. 5x2min rounds.

The stocky and powerfully built Rayelene again had the Forward drive and wanted to Clinch and Knee, Tricia countered very well and was technically very crisp, she managed to cope with the Canadians Clinching assault and turned the tables on her a few times, with excellent sensitivity in the Clinch, throwing the Canadian a few times. Rayelene jsut keep coming forward though, mostly punching, clinching and kneeing, Tricia used her kicking skills to good advantage and fought very technically. Points decision to Tricia.

Any comments, questions????

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  2. SoKKlab

I'm not letting all that typing go to waste. Back to the Top! :p

3. chupasart

chupasart New Member

Seamus coogan

Seamus is a grand lad and a tough enough opponent as far as I know Martin Horgan was supposed to fight adn seamus took his place in it, fair play.

I know seamus from the irish scene, sokklab, I heard he got 18stiches in his head, any truth in that? any elbows catch him?

Jesse saunders, I was supposed to fight him last year but i was too heavy :D

any pics to go with it ?? thanks for the write up.

paddy

4. SoKKlab

Seamus did get a Cut, I think (all the fights have blurred into one)...Yes an Elbow to the temple/ Brow area I seem to remember.

I didn't take any Photos, I was too busy watching the fights. I'll see if I can get some next outing.

Jesse's a slippery customer, once he has let himself fully heal up, I'm sure he'll be back to full strength. You should definitely have a match-up with him
    (Lay off the pies! :D ).

I'd like to see him fight Leon Chev. again, as it was an interesting match.