Maximizing weight loss/Minimizing muscle loss

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kikaku, Apr 28, 2006.

1. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

unless 'whatever you fancy' is 2 steaks, eggs and greens :D

2. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

At least that would make 2 good meals. ;)

3. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Good you all got it.

DC.

4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Right then. Thread closed, everyone go home, see you tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Durk, you recommended keeping the C/P/F to 55%/35%/10%, but the meal plan you suggested doesn't even follow that. There's hardly any protein present, especially in the first 2 meals of the day. And it's verrrrrry dangerous water to tread by suggesting 2 meals of "whatever you fancy", because every once in a while, I'll fancy a plate of nachos. Also, as Raisen mentioned, a peanut butter sandwich before bedtime is a great way to prevent weight loss, it's a hefty dose of carbs, fat, and calories. It'll taste awesome, especially washed down with a bit of cold milk served in a warm glass (oops, don't mind me, I'm drooling a bit now), but a meal like that will not help Shinobi reach his goals.

Shinobi, I'd consider checking out Dan John's Meat, Leaves, and Berries plan. It's low-ish carb, high protein, high fat. Definitely interesting reading. Generally speaking though, if you're training intensely, you'll want to include carbs. There are different ways to go about it, and most of them can work for most people.

5. Vita

Vita Valued Member

i can highly recommend Dr. John Berardi's (sp?) articles on nutrient timing.

i didn't really read through your post, but you'll be able to eat more while losing more fat. i went from 165 to 150 in a few months and got pretty cut doing so. essentially, fat and protein, or fat and carbs. fat and carbs only near workout, fat and protein everywhere else. simple as that. it's just harder finding fat and protein meals than protein/carb.

6. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

To BWMF:

1. It does. Porridge required milk. Wholemeal bread and oats combined are a good source of protein.

The total amount of calories per day is what counts

2. Don't fall into the protein trap mate. Not even the most reputable exercise scientists and nutritionists agree with what are the protein requirements for weightlifters. 2 grams per KG of bodyweight? Maybe, some say up to 3/4. Well that's way too much. I have taken below the 2 grams and lifted heavy and mate I am still here I haven't lost my hair yet ;) (just cut it to bald cos I love it!)

3. About those two meals. I was too lazy to write about them.

Well here we go to keep everyone happy (two examples)

Lunch: Sirloin Steak, baked potato, and fresh salad with extra virgin olive oil

Dinner: Chicken breast/salmon steak, brown rice and steamed vegies (broccoli, eggplant, cabbage, Chinese veggies like bok choy, etc.). Sprinkle the veggies after cooking them with extra virgin olive oil.

DC.

7. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

Bread and Oats are not good sources of protein. The amount of carbs vastly outweighs the amount of protein. And I've never liked milk, and never recommend it to anyone. Thats my personal preferrence, but anything that has more sugar per ounce than protein, is also not a "good source" for someone trying to lose bodyfat.

Not true at all, thats just over-simplifying it. Total caloric intake is very important but that doesn't mean you can neglect food choice and meal timing. WHEN you eat is just as important as WHAT you eat.

8. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

If I saw those in the first place, I would've done backflips. All's well that end's well. :)

And about the protien issue, I never called for 2g./lb. bodyweight, I agree that that's a ridiculous amount. I actually like Dr. John Berardi's work regarding the difference between an athlete's required intake versus optimal intake. As seen here.