Maximizing weight loss/Minimizing muscle loss

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kikaku, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

I had a full body scan today at the gym. I'm officially 82 kg/14 % Body fat/6ft tall/22 years old/ Maintenance calories are 2200. I work out 3 times a week at 6am in the gym with a trainer. My average work out involves 4 sets in the 10-12 rep range, using moderate weights at around 60 % intensity. Normally we work on one muscle group for an hour during one of our 1hr sessions.

I'm a Martial artist, and train in Wu Shu Kwan Kung fu 4 times a week, which is very cardio based. This is where my cardio comes from. Occasionally I will get up at 6am and do 30 minutes of HIIT in the gym.

3 weeks ago I was at 15 % BF and I weighed 85 kg. According to the body scan read out, I've lost 2 kg of muscle, which I know has to be expected, but I'm not happy about this. I've been told I need to up my protein intake. My trainer and I also plan on starting to lower the reps in the weights and increase the weight, to counter this muscle loss.

My main concern now is my diet. I want to stay on this cut, but I don't want to loose gobs of muscle. What do you suggest I eat ?

I'm planning on having :

Breakfast : 2 non fat yogurts/ Protein shake with chopped banana.

Midmorning snack : 1 non fat yogurt

Lunch: Large stuffed Chicken breast (peppers and cheese) very small salad

Mid afternoon snack:1 non fat yogurt

Late afternoon snack: 1 non fat yogurt

Dinner (around 10 pm after MA class): Protein shake with Creatine.

I'm trying to have a high protein diet, with few carbs just until I get my BF % down. Any suggestions ?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  2. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Fack me with all those yoghurts youll turn into one.

Ok you seem very strict on your carbs, dont be!. You need them. Your going for a high protein diet, but i think more importantly is a good balanced diet.
    Have some potatoes with that chicken. Maybe you can cut a yoghurt out then.

Yoghurts are lazy food. For breakfast have porridge instead. Start doing some cardio too. Then you can up your fat intake and it will help your muscle gain.

3. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Im no pro in this whole diet thing, but replacing dinner with a protein shake and creatine doesnt seem like a good idea, they are supplements after all, not replacement.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Your diet plan is just plain stupid. First of all, 14% isn't even that bad.

Second, it's not about simlpy cutting calories, it's about cutting the calories that don't do much.

The standard body builder diet is boiled/baked chicken, brown rice, and steamed vegetables. Almost no fat, much protein, and vitamins. These guys are ripped for a reason. I'd suggest following that.

Doing what you planned will just make you throw up.

EDIT: Wait, I'm not done!

High protein low carb? You train frickin' 4+ times a week! You NEED carbs!!!!

5. Kikaku

I agree that my diet is extreme. I see it more of a temporary thing, untill my bf % is down to 10 %, then I can switch to a balanced diet with an increase in carbs.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

No, no. It doesn't work that way. The second you go back to "balanced carbs", your weight will jump up again. You know why? Because when you lose carbs, you lose a lot of water weight. Then, when you start taking them in again, you'll gain the weight back.

The only way to do this is with a balanced diet from the start. Hard work, dedication. Just like anything else in life. The only easy way out is lyposuction, but even then it will come back unless you change your diet.

7. Kikaku

What would you recomend then diet wise (which is easy).
    Bear in mind, that I work out 3 times a week. I train in WSK 4 times a week, I do TKD 2 times a week, and Ninjutsu 3 times a week. Weekends I do multiple classes in a day.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

What I just said. Chicken, rice (brown, it's more nutritious), and vegetables. You can throw in tuna, yogurt, milk, etc. But you need SUBSTANCE.

Go to www.bodybuilding.com

I am sure the people there can help you get cut.

The fact that you work out so much means you need MORE calories. Cutting them will make you collapse. It's about quality, not quantity.

9. illegal entry

illegal entry Valued Member

Like the others already said, you need way more carbs. When I was a wee bit overweight, I found it more usefull to eat plenty, but healthy mind you and just do alot more cardio instead of cutting the diet way down and do none.

Besides, loosing fat with minimal muscle loss takes time. I started in februari and I've lost 4kg so far while my lifts have gone up slightly.

And go ahead and read www.t-nation.com they have a load of really good articles on diet.

10. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

i'll second that, you really dont eat enough considering the workouts you do. you need a good balanced diet and then you can use supplements for convenience to up your quality protein intake. just eating loads of protein and not much else wont help retain your muscle, you still need carbs and good fats.

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Thirded, I'll agree with cutting fats and carbs when reducing calorie intake. But keep protein up. Which the protien supplement will be usefull for, but not a meal replacement.

12. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

13. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

your calorie needs will be much much higher than 2200. AT LEAST 3000.

start the day will good carbs (oats) and scrambled eggs (or protein shake)

try and limit your carbs to AM and post training. make sure they are good carbs too.

eat good fats PM

protein, fruit and veg with every meal

cottage cheese before you go to bed. cassein- one of the slowest release proteins- will stop muscle wastage over night (longest time without eating).

14. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Just keep in mind the amount of calories you posted is just your basal metabolic rate, this is just what your body needs to function, doesnt take into account the exercise your doing
    You shoudl check out blessed samurai's sticky to get the amount of calories you actual need with all that exercise (plus a lot of other useful info :) ).

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44335

15. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Stop weight training and you'll lose weight safely otherwise you'll just crash and burn like a lice-striken stray dog.

In a nutshell, your diet is insane. Just eat more and as Jamo says: eat a balanced diet:

1. Brekkie: porridge, fruit, avocado on toast

2. Pre-lunch meal: fruit and dried fruit

3. Lunch: whatever you fancy.

4. Afternoon snack: fruit, milkshake, sandwich (cheese, avocado, turkey breast, tomato, onion and a bit of red chillie. I love this one)

5. Dinner: Same as lunch

6. Before you hit the sac: peanut butter sandwich (healthy peanut butter not the Jif garbage) and/or milkshake.

I pour healthy fats in all my shakes (linseed/flaxseed/cod liver oil) and use extra virgin olive oil in my fresh salads (lunch).

Always bear in mind the carb/protein/healthy fat ratio (55%/35%/10%) in your meals.

Note: I am no advocate of the Atkins/The Zone kind of diets since these extreme diets are nonsense. If you study a bit of human energy systems and exercise you'll realise about how crazy they are. But hey if you are cutting down and not involved in a lifting routine they are very effective but ONLY as a short-term kind of thing.

DC.

DC.

16. Kintanon

Kintanon Valued Member

2200 calories? With your workout schedule? That's almost nothing! I'm only 135lbs and I need 3500 calories to maintain my weight with my workout schedule, which is about half that. I'm trying to put on weight so I'm eatting about 5000 calories on a good day. Mostly chicken and rice, which I love. With some protein shakes and some tuna sandwhiches thrown in. And a big bowl of Pasta to keep the carbs coming in. Even if you want to lose some weight you're better of hitting up 3000+ calories and just continuing to work hard and eat RIGHT. Your body will burn the fat away.

Kintanon

17. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

DC, while all of the foods you listed are great, the diet as a whole is not quite perfect. i would like to see at least one good protein source per meal and, at a minimum, one for breakfast. also cottage cheese (cassien) is better than peanut better before bed, but peanut butter is also great.

since the body cannot turn proteins into fat it is the most useful food source when trying to lose fat (rather than weight) and not muscle.

18. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Perfect for that user. Don't argue with me.

DC.

19. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

If someone is trying maximize fat loss while preserving LBM, why would you suggest they stop weight training?

Weight training is a critical part of keeping his muscle mass. If your diet is in order and you're getting adequate rest you will NOT crash.

20. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

LOL, that diet is terrible.