Max effort lower body conundrum

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Prophet, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I am currently designing a strength and conditioning program for a highschool volley ball player.

I am baseing it around "West Side FSB"

Everything is looking good, I have all the right exersises chosen, good GPP work, its pretty specific to volley ball. But I have one problem.

He doesnt have a barbell. He only has those nautilis adjustable dumbells that only go up to 50 pounds each or something.

What can he do for the max effort lowerbody? This is certainly a problem, because hes looking to increase his verticle jump.

Any help appricated, thanks.

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Well considering the weight will be limited, it'll have to be something nice and explosive. Like a DB snatch or DB C&J.

3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I am considering those as well as DB power cleans.

I would like some opinion on which to choose and why.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT:

I have attached the plan so far, so you can give me more quality information. The GPP work is not listed on here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

When does the season start?

High pulls and depth jumps I would add into the mix. Depending on the position of the player, I would spend more time on RC (rotator cuff) and shoulder work than chest work (yes, yes, I know that most chest movements will include part of the delts).

Another aspect that I would concentrate more on is the posterior chain, quads, and calves. Volleyball players are known to wrench out their knees and ankles. It's important to take potential sites of injury into consideration.

How often are you guys spending time on the court. In order to make this training specific to the sport, you have to spend at least a bit of time on the court to allow for strength adjustments.

My advice-watch a volleyball game. See what muscle groups the players use a majority of the time and then rewrite the program around that.

5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

For equipment-limited Max Effort lower body movements: Overhead DB squats, 1-arm DB deadlift, car pushing, wheelbarrow walk (if you've got one), car pushing, spend a few bucks and buy a 1-day pass to a local gym, car pushing, piggyback-partner squat (you hop on his back), car pushing. That's what I can think of off the top of my head. ;)

I'm guessing you've seen Defranco's list of the 15 best moves for a higher jump?

I'm definitely with Samurai on the prehab work. Barefoot farmer's walks are great. If he won't go barefoot (girly), at least do them on grass, to have some uneven element. Overhead walks would be nice too.

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Why dont you use bags of rocks, i seam to recall that somebody uses them?

Single leg squats are nearly a max effort for me. Try them you wont require as much weight and seeing as max effort are taxing on the heart using one leg you should get more bang for your buck.

7. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Its been solved, thanks guys.

We decided not to use a max effort lower body exersise acctually. Instead, we went for a moderate intense bunch of sets of overhead DB squats.

Reason: He is doing this "jumpsoles" thing which is basicly two intense pylo days, and we wouldnt want to put that much strain on the legs.

Thanks for your help.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

hmm by the sounds of that jumpsoles he wont be sitting down much. ouch.

9. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

So.....no car pushing? :cry: Fair enough, make sure you let us know how it turns out. ;)

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Check out my reply on HLS. The lower body day is important and there is only one in the program so it specifically does not interfere with conditioning workouts. Surely you could split them up and re-organise enough to work it out? The whole idea of the ME day is to get that first exercise bigger, the other lifts are more for assistance on that ME lift.

11. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Well, It would be really hard to find an exersise that he would be able to max out on. Basicly it comes down to lack of barbell. But I think we agreed he would really try and push himself doing the overhead squats. He still might reach the limits of his dumbells really soon.

Hes in the market for an oly set tho :)

I totally understand what youre saying, but its still a connundrum haha. I guess well treat the overhead squats as a ME lift without the same set/rep protocols, yet still go really heavy.

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Uh, why don't you just max out with a dumbell exercise?

13. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

His dumbells only go to 50 pounds :eek:

DB over head squats are decently hard, but I bet hell be maxing out very soon. Probably even have to throw rocks in a backpack or something to make it harder.

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The poor guy. I think it's standard bar with 50K of weights time if he only wants to spend about 50 quid...

15. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Can I just say that the link to De Franco's website is great!! Its so hard to get realistic advice for increasing strength for an (ahem) older man who does a lot of MA. Thanks guys.