Matvei's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by matveimediaarts, Apr 19, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

They're called "Z-Coils":
    [​IMG]

2. matveimediaarts

9/18:
    Leg press, double and single leg. Pushing for ever higher weights at mid-low rep count. Got up to ~250 lbs, two legs for a set and worked my way down for a few more sets. Single leg started at ~100 lbs and worked down a few notches.
    Calf raises, machine and body weight
    cardio-elliptical machnie. Sprint for 1 minute, walk for 30 secs, sprint for 30 secs, walk a moment
    Hip induction and abduction, as heavy as possible (~150 lbs or so) for 1 set in each direction
    leg curls, double and alternating singles
    Pushups-standard variety, bosu ball, and lat pull
    Pullups-1 set on the vertical grips, 1 horizontal
    various strikes on the heavy bag for 2-3 minutes
    dumbell shrugs, standing and front squat variety. Made it up to 50 lbs on the standing shrugs :)
    deadlifts, various weights
    bicep curls, various weights. Still maxing out @ 30 lbs. :(
    Lat pull down
    More bag work, high intensity for 2-3 minutes. Experimenting with high back kicks, with poor results. :( Something to work on!
    side raises with both grips, 1 set each. Didn't get to the bent over flyes today. :/
    tricep press-standard press and shrugs at various weights
    one last round of bag work. Wished I'd had more time for kettlebells. :(

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I would be surprised if you could do something like high kicks after intense leg exercises and cardio when strength gains with limited range movements like leg press and cycling would encourage the muscles to contract as they build and repair. Maybe better to do these earlier, or to separate out strength, conditioning and technique

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

nah, it's no problem at all, i do it all the time. doing strength after MA training, on the other hand... bye bye gains.

5. Fish Of Doom

high back kicks, however, are the devil. work on front splits and get absurdly power glutes would be my suggestion.

6. matveimediaarts

I just started working on those high back kicks today, now that you mention it! :) (only able to get up to ~low chudan/gadan-ish height) I've been doing all kinds of squats and leg press stuff for many moons (a few years before I started this log), but I'll be more disciplined in the future. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I'm pretty sure I have reasonably powerful glutes, but I don't know how to objectively measure that. :/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. matveimediaarts

I organize it that way just because that's how I learned it. I'll experiment with your suggestions. :) Thanks. What do you think of dividing the workout into halves-one of weights/resistance stuff and the other cardio/bag work/MA type stuff?

8. Fish Of Doom

the glute thing is to be able to lift your leg rather than arch your back to get height in the kick. the rest you get by flexing the other leg's hip, hence the suggestion for front splits (which allow you to be physically able to get in that position, where the glutes are a big part of being able to do it with one leg off the ground, by lifting said leg and holding it up).

note: it's not just the gluteus maximus, the other two are a bit more active in adduction, and the hammies play a role in extension as well, plus the hip flexors need to be suitably stretchy.

9. matveimediaarts

Busy night. :) In karate, lots of practice with block/counter and basic grappling stuff. In sword-started with the various batta ho patterns and toyama ryu (I'm getting to like that toyama stuff :) ). Then some bokken games. My body and mind are having difficulty coordinating with those. grrrr So much fail in my controlled bokken sparring! :p I'll get it one day, though.

Hey fish-good thing you suggested those high back kicks to me. We started working on that more seriously tonight. I'll be drilling on that more for next week.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  10. matveimediaarts

9/20
    New routine I'm toying with today.
    Started with ~30 minutes of cardio. Sprints on the elliptical, bosu ball skips, etc.
    Leg press-single and double leg. I'm pushing my double leg weight to 220+ lbs now. :D
    Calf raises-first on the leg press, single and double leg-about 150 lbs then body weight raises on a short step
    leg curl
    Pushups-standard generic plank pushups and several variations, including lat-pull with 25 lb dumbells, bosu ball-both sides, pop-ups, and "clockwork" pushups (do a pushup, move with the hands either way a body's width for another pushup and so on until the upper body has done at least one rotation around the feet)
    pullups-vertical and horizontal bars. 2 sets on the verticals, only managed to eek out 1 on the horizontals. :/
    Shrugs-standing and in alternating deep forward stance
    deadlifts
    bicep curls maxed at 30 lbs :/ and worked down from there
    lat pull down
    side raises-up to 15 lbs dumbells today
    forward raises, also with the 15 pounders
    tricep press (and shrugs) followed by pulldowns
    kettlebell swings.
    Not bad for my first day at this routine. :)

11. matveimediaarts

Heavy on kata (kihons), Tenshin Happo, and sword today. Couldn't get a ride to staff class. :( My notebook is MIA, so I had to practice sword from memory as best as possible. grrrrr...

12. matveimediaarts

9/22
    Found my notebook. :) Too hot to practice this morning. I got it done at night, though. All my sword forms, staff forms, and katas. Then a round of chudan tsuki advancing and retreating and one of jodan tsuki. 1 round of solid mae gaeri, advancing and retreating-chudan height. Finished off with sledgehammer swings. :) Started a staff kata...not so pretty yet. :(
    Washed up my wraps, so I'll have a nice clean start to the week Monday. :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  13. matveimediaarts

Busy busy busy at the gym today.
    Still experimenting with doing my cardio first, about 30 minutes. Started with some interval sprints on the elliptical machine.
    On to bag work. Started with 30/30/30 type drills, punching and elbow strikes. Mae gaeri and mawashi gaeri drills as well. The left mawashi is way weaker than I thought...needs much more drilling. :/
    Jump front snap kicks seem to be in good order and improving.

Then on to resistance stuff.
    Leg press, single and double leg. Got my double leg press up to ~230 lbs :D
    Hip induction and adduction. Weight was pretty high...~150 lbs or so.
    Leg curl, single and double leg
    Standard pushups and several variations (didn't have time for as many as I wanted)
    pullups, vertical and horizontal grips. The horizontals still give me trouble. :/ I'm still doing 3 sets of 2-3 reps on that
    dumbell shrugs, standing and advancing in low forward stance
    deadlifts
    bicep curls at various weights, standing. Then some concentration curls @ 25 lbs
    lat pull downs, weight at 140 or so...as close to my body weight as I could pull properly.
    side raises-15 lb dumbells today. :D
    forward raises with the 15 lb-ers
    kettlebell swings
    Finished with some more left mawashi geri because I was irked about sucking earlier. :/ Fared a bit better, but needs work.

Starting a new multivitamin today, opti-men high potency. Aside from a lot of vitamins and minerals at high DV%, an interesting blend of supplemental nutrients, enzymes, and such.

Finished the days with
    *kihons
    *Tenshin Happo
    *chudan Tsuki, advancing and retreating
    *a few jump front snap kicks
    *Mae gaeri, advancing and retreating
    *batto ho 1-5...still struggling with 3 for no reason. :/
    *Happo Giri
    *all staff forms
    *sledgehammer swings
    *jump rope

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  14. matveimediaarts

Pretty typical day. Got in some karate- 1) All forms 2) all punches and kicks advancing and retreating
    Staff-assigned patterns
    Sword-batta ho patterns, happo giri, and swingin' for fun

Jump rope skips for a minute or 2.

15. matveimediaarts

Hit the gym this morning.
    Started with interval sprints on the elliptical.
    Bosu ball skips
    bag work- 30/30/30 drills, also drills for all major strikes...but I forgot back kick. :/ oops! :(
    Leg press, double leg-up to 270 lbs now. :) and single leg, about half of double leg weight
    Calf raises, on leg press and a step with body weight
    pushups and several variations
    pullups, horizontal and vertical grips
    dumbell shrugs, standing and in alternating zen kutsu stances
    deadlifts
    bicep curls, maxed at 35 and worked my way down to 15s
    lat pull down
    side raises, did okay with 20s today
    forward raises, had to move down to 15s. :/
    tricep pulldowns and press. Also shrugs while I was at the press
    kettlebell swings

16. matveimediaarts

karate and sword day. Kihons and other basics in karate. Basic bokken sparring in sword class. Getting better, but still occasionally get my footwork/block backwards in bokken sparring/batta-do (2-4 times over 20 minutes, I think). :/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  17. matveimediaarts

9/28
    Staff class this morning. We drilled the basic techniques and started sunakake no kon. :) Planning on doing more tonight, but we'll see.

18. matveimediaarts

10/1-had to pay bills today, so no morning work. :( Planning on practicing some things tonight. Will update if it happens
    9/30
    Half hour of intensive cardio (esp. elliptical and plyo type stuff) and bag work. The rest was pretty same oldish.
    Leg press, double leg-up to 270 lbs now. and single leg, about half of double leg weight
    Calf raises, on leg press and a step with body weight
    pushups and several variations
    pullups, horizontal and vertical grips
    dumbell shrugs, standing and in alternating zen kutsu stances
    deadlifts
    bicep curls, maxed at 35 and worked my way down to 15s
    lat pull down
    side raises, did okay with 20s today
    forward raises, had to move down to 15s. :/
    tricep pulldowns and press. Also shrugs while I was at the press
    kettlebell swings

19. matveimediaarts

Good times at the dojo. Karate-reviewed fundamentals of strikes and blocks. Then partnered up for block/counter practice (techniques from tenshin happo). In sword we did some light block and counter stuff with bokken, advancing while attacking, retreating while defending. Finished with real basic iaito stuff. I made several mistakes-which made me feel very silly. :/

20. matveimediaarts

Karate-kata review and kumite. Essentially competition prep. My sempai thinks I'll be ready to compete in kumite as well as kata this year. Sounds fun. :) My kata needs a bunch of work, though. :/

kobudo-basic staff forms and kumi-bo.