Matt vs. Royce[Spoilers}

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by cloudhermit, May 28, 2006.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

wow, was Royce only that good in the early UFC's :eek:

Not that hes not good, just the difference between himself and Hughes..

At least the earlier fights of the night were more exciting!

2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I think we learned that a lot changes in 10 years.

3. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

not really; great graplping beats poor grappling. we have always known that.

4. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

and strong beats weak...and well rounded beats one-dimensional...and aggressive beats passive...

5. cloudhermit

cloudhermit New Member

Sorry I really screwd up.

Sorry guys. I got way too excited at the end. I have completely overlooked the fact or missed that this broadcast was'nt live like the Boxing.

6. cloudhermit

cloudhermit New Member

KMGUY8,You are right. I am a Moron. Next time I won't do this after jumping up & down front of the T.V after a Matt hughes GNP clinic. Sorry again.
    Question: Was this Royces first no Gi fight?

7. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

Did anyone notice Royce tapped twice with his right arm at the end of the match? It happened as soon an big john mccarthy stepped in you can see it through his legs.

8. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Looked at it on YouTube, couldn't see what you are talking about.

9. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Me neither.

10. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zrCTLW3aOw&search=royce"]Royce Tapped? - YouTube[/ame]

found this link on you tube, sort of looks like a tap with the right hand but very hard to tell with the ref rushing in

11. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Thanks for the link. The higher the pedistal the farther the fall.

I was wondering the same thing. The Gracie grappling legendary status seemed to need the Gi, in the past.

12. Bhattman

Bhattman Valued Member

I personally don't think it looked clear enough to be a proper tap, but it is very difficult to tell.

As for the fight showing a lot has changed in 10 years, I think that was obvious from earlier fights - ie. how Tito beat up Ken, how Tank got owned by everybody etc.

13. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

The fight was interesting but I don't think it means much in the grand scheme of things. Royce is to old and fighting at the wrong weight, his stand up was poor and his takedown defence was no where near being up to par, these are all things sensible people should allready know, the fight just confirms it.

14. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

No, that's what they said!

I was trying to work that one out too. Maybe that was an octagon record and excluded any ring fights in Pride or K1?

Edit: Nope just thought about that and even his non-fight with Harold Howard was officially a loss.

Hmmm

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  15. stump

stump Supersub

And they didn't take into account his draw with Ken Shamrock so it wasn't even his UFC record....very strange

16. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Royce isn't too old, Couture was older when he was winning...

I don't see why so many people say his stand up is so bad, Hughes didn't dominate on the feet. I'm not saying he is a great striker, or even a good one, but what in this fight made you think it was so bad?

Takedown Defense- He didn't even consider that, why defend a takedown when you would love to have it on the ground? If I was him I would just lay on my back from the start of the fight and hope the other fighter would go along with it.

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

No. His second fight with Yoshida, his match with Akebono and I believe the fight he had for K-1 on New Years Eve were all no gi as well. This was his first time in the Octagon without a gi though

18. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

My dumb VCR broke the day before the fight, so no recording:(

20. cloudhermit

cloudhermit New Member

I have been watching the replay over & over. I am not a Royce fan but Is it me? or Royce looked out of it from the start of the fight. And Matt Hughes hardly broke any sweat. I've been watching his old fights, including throwing the towel with Sakuraba. All his set up's were very different then this fight. I think this fight was one of the easier fights for Matt. I am no fan of Matt either. wanderli Silva is my fav Fighter. I still believe Royce fights better with his GI on.