"Matis Kung Fu" - How to check how good?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by sn11, Jul 3, 2008.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Hi everyone, After taking a break from forums and concentrating on life and work I have decided to come back. I feel I am now at a time in my life when i could add something to it without taking anything away.

During a bike ride with a few friends i noticed a "Mantis Kung Fu" class just starting at my local community centre. Not knowing what this style is like or what to expect i thought i'd make my return with a few questions.

What is your opinions on this style?

Is there any particular thing to look out for in regard to its authenticity? (I have been to a few "kung fu" classes which in all honesty made a sham of the name)

Does anyone have any decent websites or information regarding "Mantis Kung Fu" as i said earlier this is the first I have heard of it so would appreciate links sent by people who know about it and can recommend reading rather than reading something myself which may turn out later rubbish.

Thanks everyone :cool:

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

3. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Me neither ! Damn!

5. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I fixed it by typing the thread ID into the search function, but thats the only way i could do it.

Have you heard of mantis kung fu?

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Northern or Southern? There are many sub styles?

Is there contact in every class or not?

You need to go check out a class or 2 and report what went on.

There is a 90% chance of crap in TMA classes, so bear that in mind. If there's no contact and no sweat, you aren't going to learn anything applicable. period.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yep, have a look through the forum, there is probably info on it around somewhere

8. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Right-o, will do I'll get the number and phone up about a class and report back with what happened. Thanks

Will do, Thanks

9. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

After a bit of searching i found they have a website!
    http://www.sevenstarmantis.co.uk/1.html

To give people a bit of a gist of what it is i thought I'd take some key points from it:

Instructor: Sifu Andy Riley

Lineage: * Wong Long - Founder

* Sing Sil

* Lee San chine

*Wong Wing Sang

*Fan Yuk Tung

*Low Kwang Yu

*Chiu Chi Man

*Lee Kam Wing (Hong Kong) --------- United Kingdom

*Sifu Derek Frearson

(Disciple of Master Lee)

* Various Instructors throughout UK

under Master Frearson

Taught: Seven star mantis & Lion dance

Forms: Boxing forms?

Weapons used: Red Tassle Lance (Spear)

Gwan Dao (Knife Of General Gwan Gung)

Three Sectional Staff

Single Broad Sword (Willow Leaves Single Knife)

Big Knife (Horse Cutting Sword Knife)

Nine Section Steel Whip Chain

Double Broad Sword (willow Leaves Double Knife)

Tiger Head Double Hooks

Fong Tin Lance (Snake Headed Lance with Crescent Moon attachment)

Double Seven Star Cane

Double Seven Star Hammer

Seven Star Single Sword

Long Stick (Staff)

Single Tiger Hook

Double Daggers

Hopefully this will give more of an idea as to what's what.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

For goodness sakes man, stop dithering and go along to an ma class won't you!!!! :D Best way is to try it.

11. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Yes but going to it , isnt the only way i mean u can go along to it and be taking in by the crap , if it looks good then dnt stop there , u need to find out all the other details which have been previously mentioned .

all so talk to the sifu , u often find out alot about the MA he teaches and his style of teaching.

12. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I am doing! I'll be attending the total beginners class next monday as i couldn't get in touch with the guy until yesterday at about 6pm. So ner! :D heh

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Good for you! Be sure to report back. Hope you find something you can actually settle in soon :D

14. CFT

CFT Valued Member

I thought it might be a school in Derek Frearson's organisation. I used to practice Wing Chun in his org. Used to spar with the 7* Mantis guys. Fun! They had very good footwork, very fast and able to cover distance very quickly whether in attack or retreat. They also "change the level" (attack high then low, or vice versa) a lot more than in Wing Chun.

There is a lot of material, i.e. forms, to cover if you get into it.

15. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Thanks for the info - I managed to find the forms: http://www.itswa.co.uk/7star_forms.htm and you're right there is A LOT.

Lessons are only £5 per session. Private lessons are £25 per hour. Regular Classes run from 7.30pm - 9.00pm, twice a week. Which for the amount of time you get i thought was really quite good.

Although 8.30-9.30PM (INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED - FORMS, WEAPONS, SPARRING, LION DANCE PRACTICE) so I'd be doing the hour to start with - which at my current level I'd deem more than adequate lol, i am considering private lessons though....

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The father of one of the guys you used to train TKD with teaches some good Kung Fu, heavy contact taught primarily to doormen and police. If you're interested I may be able to put you in touch as we're trying to arrange training sessions together.

Make sure you only post enquiries in one area dude:)

Mitch