mat substitutions

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jordan, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

what is a cheap alternitive for gymnist mats. it's for a throwing/ grappling art. :confused:

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Usually some 2nd hand mats on Ebay. I'd steer clear of the new stuff there but I've seen plenty of bargins if you can pick them up yourself.

3. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

carpet is decent (if available). I've been falling on it for the past 2 years, and i think it is an o.k. alternative to mats.

4. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

how much carpet padding do you use; type and thickness?

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Cuz, falling on carpet is a necessity, not a choice. If you are going to spend money on it, get a mat.

6. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

The jigsaw mats I found the most reasonable in price, usually come in packs of four. They're not the most bouncy of mats but they're better than carpet. The best I think are the mats you have in leisure centres, but I haven't found any yet that aren't expensive.

I wouldn't advise big fluffy gymnastics mats for grappling, you may end up fighting the mats as much as your opponent :p

Or, just be a man and use the floor. Will do you good ;)

7. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

no,it's not an excuse!

I can fall on the floor, but my students can't all that well at a really fast rate of impact. :D ;)

8. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

used wrestling mats can be had surprisingly cheap from time to time - insurance dictates that schools replace mats somewhat before they're truly worn out. the ones i roll on every day went for an incredibly small fraction of what they cost new - we'd be unable to cover the same area with puzzle mats for the same price, and they're way safer than puzzle mats to boot.

failing that, refurb and factory second wrestling mats are available at higher, but still reasonable prices.