Master Yang video

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by SsangKall, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

http://youtu.be/OCDGo4sYtdg

Better watch out, 47MartialMan might just find a way to debunk a concrete block with an elbow and a punch. What is your martial art background again? Troll-Jitsu?

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Technically, that is NOT cement, it is concrete. Cement is much dense and harder

And with the spaces, as with ALL breaks, only the top has to break first.

And concrete is actually easier to break than wood

Wanna impress me? Take the SAME thickness of that "concrete" let me substitute "cement" or "oak"

*Yawn* demos are show and tell to increase student enrollment and procure more instrique/fascination to the gullible

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Why is it always sandstorm? It's a good song, but seriously there's been like 20 years of music since that came out.

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Or just get rid of the spacers. Any break with spacers receives the automatic downgrade.

5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Incorrect, yes they are concrete blocks, sidewalks are concrete, roads can be concrete, bridges are concrete. Cement is a powder used in the production of concrete. Concrete is made up of aggregate (usually sand and stone), cement powder, and water.

The manufacturing process, mix design, and placement process dictates the denseness and strength of concrete. Typically blocks are made using a dry mix that is hydraulically pressed into forms, this process results in porous matrix that although has high compressive strength has relatively low flexural strength.

Concrete mixed for sidewalks, garage floors and other structural uses is made with a far denser matrix and is usually further consolidated by vibration, or by virtue of its viscosity with added reinforcement to increase the flexural strength.

So dependant on the type of product, you are correct, certain types of concrete would be near impossible to break with a MA technique. That said, concrete blocks are still a good material to use to test your technique with proper instruction and preparation.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

No.:cool:

7. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Anybody else want to join the betting pool that I have going? It's that 47 Martial Man is actually some lazy out of shape youtube-jitsu practiconer. He's never once claimed rank in any style or as an educator of a martial art. This is why I left MAP: trolls like him.

Ssahngkal, call me sometime! We need to talk about the future, my brother.

8. 47MartialMan

Portland cement is supposely stronger-denser than concrete, therefor cement, although more expensive is harder to break

And, shall we dig up the threads about breaking?

9. 47MartialMan

You are only sore that I disagree with you.

Breaking is not a true test of skill and it is a demo sham

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Cement is a binder that goes into making concrete. Concrete is a composite material comprised of cement amongst other things.

11. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Not all cement is portland cement. that is a specific type of cement.

Agreed that breaking isn't a test of fighting skill. It does demonstrate some power and technique. Doing breaking in no way means you are automatically a fraud or that your art is a sham.

12. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Breaking is a way to test commitment, that's all. If you have good technique then the body part you're hitting with won't be injured. Example, leading with the back two knuckles during that punch instead of the front two, or allowing the wrist to bend, or not commiting to striking through the concrete would have resulted in his not breaking the blocks as well as (more than likely) an injury. Since he broke the blocks, it can be stated he has good technique and will make good connection without injury during a fight. With luck, of course. But knowing GM Yang's students the way I do I can almost assure you that he can pull off that strike during a real confrontation. Just my opinion.

13. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

What does Martial Man's physical fitness level have to do with this conversation about breaking?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sod all

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I'd disagree with that, breaking whilst not the sham martialman claims doesn't indicate the above.

It might show certain attributes are there but only under ideal conditions.

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

The only way I've seen it done that I respect was watching Shinjo Kyohide do it in his 70's with four thick boards without spaces. 99% of the time tameshiwari demonstrations are riddled with ridiculous tricks to make the break easier and appear more dramatic.

In any case, your analogy doesn't work. You don't need to break boards or concrete to hurt a person. And boards/concrete do not move or attack you back. You can still do lots of damage with little to no breaking practice ever. For example, I don't need to put my fingers through six inches of boards to know that poking someone in the eye damn well hurts.

Tameshiwari can be used as a test of courage and focus. But 99% of the time, what most people practice isn't that.

17. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I don't think anyone is saying you have to break stuff to hit well in a fight. No one has said all breaking is meaningful to fighting ability.
    Mostly it has just been countering to MM47s view that all breaking is somehow faked, totally useless, and any practitioner doing it is a sham or fraud. Just an outright silly view to have.
    I have seen two examples on MAP of some impressive breaking. One was a coconut with a palm heel and the other was several concrete slabs with no spacers. Both were Kung Fu practitioners but I can't remember screen names at the moment.

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It's just the way I read Hyeongsa's comment I quoted, that's what he seemed to be implying (to me). I admit though, I'm frazzled, I could probably read anything into nothing right now.

Fair enough. To be fair though, sometimes demonstrations are just hilariously bad.

19. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I already told you that portland cement is a powder, and if memory serves me powder is far easier to break than concrete. Don't believe me look it up. I'm the foremost expert on concrete East of the Mississippi, the only reason I'm not on the expert on West of the Mississippi, is cause I ain't there. ;)

On second thought I look it up for you- http://www.cement.org/cement-concrete-basics/how-cement-is-made http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Concrete-Block.html

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  20. 47MartialMan

I did not say ALL breaking is fake or TOTALLY useless

That said, we could link up the breaking threads and let people read the posts in those