Master Jangs martial arts in Chicago

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by DGarcia86, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Most schools do charge for gradings. BJJ being an exception. I think it also depends on the school and who's instructing though.

2. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Really? BJJ is an exception, you need to check that one...there may not be a "fee on the day" but they do pay in other ways...

Edit, with a quick Google scan, BJJ has as many testing fees as anyone, and often just as silly - like having to take a private class to test - at $90 an hour...

Testing fees are implemented differently in different schools. The only thing I would advise anyone in Hapkido is to insure that the piece of paper you get is actually what is says it is. If you are told it only counts in that school, so be it, but if you are told you are being registered somewhere with an organization, make sure that is actually happening.

Unfortunately, and all too often this is not the case.

My only issue with some testing fees is "why" are they being charged? If my technique looked good Friday evening in class, why am I paying the same teacher $80 Saturday morning to tell me that again?? Yeah, I'm not a fan of that at all...to pay for a new belt and print the paper, sure...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. DGarcia86

DGarcia86 Valued Member

Well it's 40 dollars for testing For belts below black belt and it's like 200 for black belt testing since they bring in other instructors from different schools and possibly From an organization to do the testing that fee also includes a new all black uniform and belt.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

what do you mean by "pay in other ways"?

my bjj place has no testing, belt or promotion fees. basically, you get promoted, that's it. i don't know about other places. i also don't have a contract, which is how many bjj or martial art schools go about their business--unfortunately. contracts and testing fees fall under kind of grey area to me: on the road to mcdojo, or just trying to make money to stay in business.

5. iron_ox

OK, before you pay, you should know who and from where in my opinion. At least you get a new belt and uniform, seems reasonable enough.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. iron_ox

BJJ for that area, but I did a quick Google sweep, people paying for private classes, to enter tournaments, etc, may not be direct, but belts still are getting paid for in BJJ in some places at least...nothing wrong with making money to stay open, to each their own...just answering that "BJJ doesn't have belt testing fees" - that's all...

7. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

That doesn't appear to be unreasonable; however you might want to find out how many levels/belts there are that you will ultimately be testing for up to black to give you an idea of the overall cost.

8. DGarcia86

DGarcia86 Valued Member

Master Sogor how much are your testing fees?

9. iron_ox

No "testing fees" in the colored belts. Not really any formalized tests either - unless someone else from our association is in town and we all want to demo for that person... Students pay for the certificate from Korea, they are very nice, and they borrow the next belt, their old belt goes back into the box...saves that $3 for the colored belt they will probably just throw in the closet....
    SO I guess in the balance, there is a fee for the "paper" but not a formal test that comes with it...

Black belt testing fees are the same if they do them here, or come to Korea and test...

10. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

We just pay him back for the cost of the belt after we get it, which seems more than fair.

11. iron_ox

That seems very fair indeed, again, just responding to the notion that BJJ has no testing fees when I found lots of BJJ places that charge...

12. Giovanni

which places in chicago? i'm just curious so i can avoid them.

13. iron_ox

Are you asking about BJJ places that charge belt testing fees in Chicago? Didn't look where they were from...simple Google search for BJJ belt testing fees turned up a good number of responses - time to get back on topic or take this to BJJ section.........:topic:

14. DGarcia86

DGarcia86 Valued Member

Master Sogor what exactly is true Hapkido? Cause I'm sure there are variations within different schools across the US? and what are the major Hapkido associations? or the fake ones like in the case of Richard Hacksworth

15. Pretty In Pink

Hence why I said "It depends on the School and the Instructor".

To be fair, that's three/four people from different schools who have just told you that they don't have testing fees :p

Also, Googling things don't make it true. :)

16. Giovanni

flame war alert in 3...2...1...

17. iron_ox

Taking these things in reverse order...reading the first part, then the second, yep there is wiggle room that you said BJJ (some) might charge for belt testing, what I noted, for those paying attention, is that I found several BJJ schools that charge...OK? And if its listed on a schools site, I would assume that its true...

18. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, of course a few places charge and have tests. Gracie Jujitsu is bad for it now. The vast majority of BJJ schools however, as far as I'm aware, don't.

19. iron_ox

Did I mention any of that here?

No flame war on my part - but Hapkido as I have learned, practiced and taught it is the Art of Choi, Yong Sul Dojunim.
    Yes there are LOTS of variants/variations across the US and the world. Without trying to judge the merits of instructors, techniques, hand shaking etc, I look at the relationship that they have to the original techniques of the Founder, Choi Dojunim. As a simple example, if someone got a fourth dan from Choi Dojunim, then ranked someone to 8th dan, who then ranked someone else to 8th dan, I might find that variant somewhat suspect, as we know that Choi Dojunim had technical requirements through 7th dan...
    Just an example, hope it makes sense.
    My gauge is a simple and uniform one - basing rank from the origin to the current person. It is simply my method before someone jumps up and says that they don't follow lineage, etc, it is again my method of judging relevancy to Hapkido.

Major Associations? Hmmmm, that is truely in the eye of the beholder in Hapkido. Some larger organizations have little or no relation to Choi Dojunim, where some smaller ones have much closer ties. There are even Kwans within groups far closer to the Choi Dojunim legacy that the umbrella organization. So my answer is that it really depends on what you are looking to get out of an organization. Does that help?

The person and the name you mention has to do entirely with the Korea Hapkido Federation. There were several issues raised around 2003-2004, but honestly I was only an observer as I know some people in that organization very well but have no direct affiliation with it at all.

20. iron_ox

Nah!