Master Gracie Jiu Jitsu in 3.5 years!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Topher, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Topher

Topher allo!

I saw this link in my Gmail:

Fishy!

Even if the guy is a good fighter, why the emphasis/sales pitch on getting the black belt as quick as your can. That it the type of thing you see in McDojos.

2. Stalkachu

Stalkachu resU deretsigeR

This gets brought up a lot. Basically, what he's offering (so I hear, I've never bought it myself) is a guide to both techniques and particularly to competitive psychology, thus maximising your potential for learning and making it easier to attain your black belt. He's just using the black belt as a measure of progress, he himself isn't going to give it to you, it's just like saying 'BECOME A KARATE MASTER IN 3.5 YEARS!'. But, uh, more credible. Or something.

Check out his mailing list if you want to see the kind of stuff he puts out. Nothing particularly striking, but hey, if a man can get a BB in 3.5 years...uh...respect to him, he might have something to teach. @_@

Take care,

Stalks

3. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Isn't it somewhat ironic that BJJ took out a lot of techniques to 'simplify' fighting strategy and it takes longer to attain BB level skills than JJ?

It reminds me of an exchange with a Wing Chun instructor that said it takes 20yrs of training to attain a black sash in WC (nevermind that he didn't have 20yrs of WC training) though one of the reasons (according to 'history') that WC was developed was that people didn't have 20yrs to master shaolin kung fu and would be up against trained combatants. So it was a 'simplified' system that would allow one to defend themselves against trained MAs in a relatively short period of time (a few years).

4. Snake+CQC

Snake+CQC New Member

I saw when I was looking for a gi. Buy two gis and get a black belt free.

5. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

His page also has an irritating "can you tell us why you're navigating away?" feedback screen that pops up if you try to close the tab. I usually only see that on the very worst of the worst sights :mad:

6. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

This is the Lloyd Irvin thing isn't it. I used to be signed up for one of his emails. They were a bit annoying in a salesy sort of way, but they did have a few useful things in them.

As far as I can tell, there are no 'special techniques' or anything in his stuff, its all based on doing lots of training, but using his guidelines to improve your progress.

The basic rules for progressing quickly in BJJ are fairly generic, though:
    1) Pick a good school
    2) Ask questions
    3) Write stuff down
    4) Drill basics
    5) Analyse your training
    6) Roll lots and lots and lots

7. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Do you want the money in advance or can I pay you monthly?

8. Stalkachu

Stalkachu resU deretsigeR

Well, I think you're taking that whole example a little too far. Yes, BJJ took a lot of techniques out of Judo (not Jujutsu, really), but then in its development, it invented or adapted a lot of those it kept. So the amount of material to learn is unlikely to be much less. Also, a black belt in BJJ takes longer to get but is also much more highly regarded. A BJJ black belt is generally considered the equivalent of, say, a 3rd degree black belt in the majority of classical TMAs. Maybe more, depending how progression goes. So, uh, there.

As for WC...that's just the way a lot of arts have gone these days. Although 20 years at 2 or 3 sessions a week is very different to training full time, as it would seem likely those training to fight would have been. So it would take less than that. But hey, it's a valid point, that can be equally levelled at Aikido, some other forms of Jujutsu, Tai Chi...etc. etc. S'just how things are, although they at least don't claim to teach you quickly.

Ramble over. ^_^

Take care,

Stalks

9. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Monthly, by direct debit. Sign up now and get a free fluffy frog. :D

You can probably get as good advice off Grapplearts for free in their articles section. For example:
    http://www.grapplearts.com/Black-Belt-Acceleration.htm

10. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Lloyd Irvin did earn his black belt in 3.5 years (while the average earns it in 7-10 years) from Brazilian Leo Dalla who endorses him. Lloyd's fight team consistantly does very well and yes, he is definately A SALESMAN. BUT he is a proven trainer and does not sell belts.

Mike Fowler is one of his top students and he took over 5 years to get his black belt. Lloyds program is pshycological based, an angle used by professional athletes but used not as effectively with martial artists but he incorporates it well.

As you see here. http://www.grapplers.com/zone/news.cfm

Overall Combined World Grappling Ratings 2005
    1st Marissa Talley (Team Odyssey/Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Network) U.S.A - 12064 points
    2nd Alex Taylor (Team Odyssey/Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Network) U.S.A - 7812 points
    3rd Bill Cooper (Paragon Jiu Jitsu) U.S.A - 6900 points
    4th Ryan Villogram (Lloyd Irvin) U.S.A - 6475 points

RATED's 2005 Official No-Gi Grappling World Ratings
    Children (13 yrs. and younger) No-Gi Advanced (12 months+)
    1st Ryan Villogram (Lloyd Irvin) 3150 points - $500 College Savings Bond Winner 2nd Aubrey Thoede jr. (Texas Bounty Hunters/Rickson Gracie) 2562 points - $200 College Savings Bond Winner
    3rd Nicholas Page (Team Odyssey/Royce Gracie Network) 2412 points - $100 College Savings Bond Winner

Children (13 yrs. and younger) No-Gi Beginner (Less than 12 months)
    1st Aarae Alexander (Lloyd Irvin) 700 points - $250 College Savings Bond Winner2nd Dylan Hairfield (Team Odyssey/Royce Gracie Network) 625 points - $100 College Savings Bond Winner

Children's (13 yrs. and younger) Advanced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    1st Ryan Villogram (Lloyd Irvin) 3025 points - $500 College Savings Bond Winner2nd Aubrey Thoede Jr. (Texas Bounty Hunters/Rickson Gracie) 2500 points - $200 College Savings Bond Winner

Masters No-Gi (40 yrs. and over)
    1st Mike Atkin (Lloyd Irvin/Julius Park) 3800 points
    2nd John Rozzi (Saulo Ribeiro) 1900 points
    3rd Barry Griefer (Alex Wilkie) 1550 points

Women's White Belt Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    1st Julie Kedzie (Lloyd Irvin/Mario Roberto) 1900 points
    2nd Melisse Ilhan (Richmond BJJ) 950 points

Executive Purple Belt Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    1st Justin Montano (Lloyd Irvin) 750 points
    1st Donald Achnick (Lloyd Irvin) 750 points

Men's White Belt Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    1st Taylor Dixon (Capital JJ) 1000 points

BJJ Men's Blue Belt
    1st Ryan Hall (Lloyd Irvin) 2100 points

BJJ Men's Brown Belt
    1st Mike Fowler (Lloyd Irvin - TheGrapplingBlueprint.com) 2950 points

QUICK RESULTS: SportFighting 3 - Best Show to Date!!!

Mike Murray (Jerry Jones) vs. Kevin Roddy (Rhino Fight Team)
    RESULT: Roddy by armbar at :47 of Round 1

Thomas DeNicola (Full Circle) vs. Leandro Hernandez (Alex Wilkie)
    RESULT: Hernandez via Referee Stoppage :40 of Round 1

Tracy Taylor (Rodrigo Vaghi) vs. Doug Gordon (RIO BJJ/Robson Moura)
    RESULT: Gordon via Referee Stoppage 2:40 of Round 3

Travis Roesler (Balance Studios) vs. Chris Harding (Real Combat Martial Arts)
    RESULT: Roesler wins - Harding Unable to Answer Bell for 2nd Round

FEATHERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BELT MATCH:
    Michael La Duke (Empire MA) vs. Bill Pounds (Philadelphia JJ)
    RESULT: La Duke via Knockout due to Devastating Knee followed by the finishing Two Punch Combo- La Duke wins the U.S. Featherweight SportFighting Championship

Tom Galecio (Rhino Fight Team) vs. Marc Stevens (Tai Kai/Streetwise Fightwear)
    RESULT: Galecio via Judges Decision

David Kaplan (Lloyd Irvin) vs. Rich Swawola (Real Combat Martial Arts)
    RESULT: Kaplan via Referee Stoppage at 1:27 of Round 1

Julio Cruz (Renzo) vs. Scott Argott (Bare Knuckle)
    RESULT: FIGHT OF THE NIGHT - Absolute War - Cruz wins via split decision

Andre Gusmao (Nago Capoeira Head Instructor/Renzo Gracie) vs. John Swangler II (Hamilton Martial Arts)
    RESULT: Gusmao via Knockout at :21 of Round 1

#1 LIGHTWEIGHT CONTENDER MATCH:
    Brian McLaughlin (Rob Kahn) vs. Khristian Geraci (Real Combat)
    RESULT: McLaughlin via Rear Naked Choke at :34 of Round 1

Glen Sandull (Planet JJ/Cornerstone) vs. Sherman Pendergarst (Team Raw Dog/NEMESIS)
    RESULT: Pendergarst via Knockout 1:10 of Round 1

Justin Garcia (Jungle Gym) vs. Mario Marin (Red Planet)
    RESULT: Garcia via Knockout from strikes in Marin's guard

I'd say he's doing a good job.​

11. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Didn't BJ Penn get to black belt in 3 years?

OK so he hasn't mastered it but do you ever really master an art like that 100%

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

There are guys who can do it in that time... BJ Penn from what I know focused in the extreme on training BJJ... and the results speak for themselves. It may sound outrageous to someone who actually has to pay bills and has a 9-5 job and a social life and a family.
    But if you're rolling every single day and focus hardcore then it's not really that impossible.

13. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

LLoyrd Irvin is a marketing genius first and foremost IMO.

But, I guess you can't dispute his legitmacy.. Mike Fowler and Brandon Vera are both students of his - but, mind you.. they're using the same marketing 'stuff' Lloyd is to make money too, so I take them swearing by Lloyrd Irvin with a grain of salt.

I have a mate who got to purple within 3 years... no doubt if he was in Brazil or somwehere training 2x a day, 5x a week he would be a black belt prodigy like BJ Penn too.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  14. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I've worked it out! Train for 3 years in judo, get balckbelt. Spend 6 months watching/reading Gracie vids and books to learn those special moves and you have then become a lethal BJJ BB :D

15. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

It's actually not ironic, and your analogy is completely off. The reason it takes longer to get a black belt in bjj than some other arts is that the standard for black belts is so high, not that it takes people 10 years to get something out of bjj. Don't get confused by all the pretty colors.

16. Raminator

Raminator New Member

Took me around 12 year to achieve my second degree belt and to be honest, theres no achievement if all you dont work hard for it. No martial art should be done quickly.

17. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

If you are a pro and BJJ is a full time job, then you are working harder than ayone else, and as a result your skill improves faster. This is not "MA done quick", it is the natural result of working harder.

Same with anything that is your full time job, if you are a bartender you will be juggling bottles faster and better than anyone else, it you are a secretary you will type faster with no mistakes, etc :)

18. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

My club started allowing some bluebelts to teach twice a week. Instead of a class of 20, with 75% of them white belts, It's only 5-8 people, 75% blueblets! Instead of spending an hour in class, I'm averaging about 2.5 hours!

I've been doing this for about a month--the results are incredible.

One of the bluebelts is a real advocate of this grappling blueprint thing that Lloyd Irvin does. I don't have the DVDs, but what this bluebelt teaches is you find just a few techniques you can pull off.

Then you just do it over and over for months, 1000s of times.

My key is the half-guard. I used to know nothing about it, or understand why it was so important. Now, most of the time, I'm either going into half guard, or staple escaping form someone else's!

My half guard has become really dangerous, according to my instructors. And now my butterfly guard has taken wing very naturally.

It's so much better to have a game plan and drill just a few positions instead of what usually happens, at least in our club, where you look at mount for a week, then guard, then this or that, and you never get a chance to "own" it. I learn by dumb methods. I just have to do it over, and over, and over, for weeks and weeks.

Then... violla! I'm sweeping bluebelts my size and crushing yellow belts (we use colors instead of stripes at my club). Once my toes heals, I'll join the regular class again so I can test myself against new people.

I'm just saying, if you're struggling, write out your gameplan, and really limit what you're practicing. List your escapes, your sweeps, your submission. Keep it real tight and stick to it for 3 months.

I think that is Irvin's method--hey, it's working for me, give it a go!

19. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Neo-Ninja

You can't argue with his results, even if he does seem very Gimmicky.

**** look what Ryan Hall has done in less than 3 years of training...