Massage

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Stevebjj, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Who here gets a regular massage?

A few months back a co-worker of mine got me down to the local massage school's clinic where you can get a 1 hour massage for $30. After the first one, I was hooked. I try to go in every other week, and as far as I'm concerned, it's part of being healthier. The massage is done by a student, and the table is in a large room with curtain dividers, so you don't get a cozy "spa" feeling as you would in a really high end place. You'll almost always get an instructor in there at some point, too, just checking on the student and answering any questions that she might have.

But that said, the massages are top notch, and if you're not shy and don't mind hearing some muted activity in the background from other people, it's fantastic.

After my massage a few weeks back, I was talking with the instructor and mentioned that I train in MA. So, as a result, the massage this morning really targeted stretches and some wicked deep tissue.

I'd never done a massage before and have to say that I'm completely addicted. I've seen benefits in muscle recovery from training, increased mobility in my lower back and legs, and it just feels really good. I'd go weekly if I could manage it.

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I normally get deep tissue massages. They are great and painful at the same time :D Healthwise I find them to be an overall benefit. I find it reduces my stress greatly. Although I've missed a few sessions since being on holiday, I have to call my therapist soon. The last session I had, she used the hot stones, and that was by far one of the best deep tissue massages of all time :D

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you guys are lucky, i wish i had the extra money to throw around :cry:

but my cousins gf is a massotherapist and when i get a good tear or pulled muscle she will fix it

4. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I've never actually had a massage. I'm sure one would feel amazing after a good workout or a shift in work!

Something I will have to look into over summer.

I'll have to find one with a selection of girls a lá Rush Hour 2 :D

Me like mushu! ;)

5. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Like I said, G, I go to the massage school. Around here, a good massage at a nice spa is easily $100/hour. I couldn't afford that more than once every couple months. But at $30 a pop, it's doable. Especially since I've been watching my food. I've pretty much changed my entire way of eating over the last 6 months, and as a result I'm spending far less money on food, particularly fast food and other junk.
    All of the people at the school are trained in deep tissue, but as with anything else, some are better than others. But now that I'm getting to know the instructors who are running the clinic, they're giving me to the students who want to work more on deep tissue. It's working out well. The lady who worked on me today felt like she was going to break me in half... in an excruciatingly good way! :eek:

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Had a couple recently for a neck/shoulder injury. It wasn't deep tissue though and she was only a slender little waif. :) I really wanted her to apply a hell of a lot more pressure as she was doing it. However, she did help the problem, so I can't complain.

I don't get them regularly though - too damn expensive.

7. Pu jin

Pu jin Banned Banned

I love massage - can't recommend it enough, the deeper the better for me. I do loads of massage on others but rarely get one myself, so I tend to self-massage a lot.
    Aikido creator Morihei Ueshiba had a massage every day after teaching and I reckon given the extremes of MA training everyone should learn it and have it too if they practise MA. In Kalaripayit it s considered a prerequisite for training too...

8. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I love a massage and have one whenever I can. Unfortunately, I cant find anyone who practices rolfing....I could soooo do with a few sessions. :bang:

9. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I've heard of rolfing, but frankly, it sounds way too extreme for me. Of course, I'm relatively new to the massage thing, so who knows?

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We have a message therapist here on the island now so I get one about twice a week.

11. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i only like massage with happy ending

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol @ mai tai

Here in Hong Kong massage runs the gamut from expensive to cheap. And you can get the happy ending... in fact that's the biggest problem. I need a massage that's going to work out all my problems from training heavily. The happy ending doesn't do that.

We often used to go up to China and get massages done as it's much cheaper by far and it makes a good weeknight trip up there if you've got to be there the next day anyhow for a bit of work or whatever.

But recently I figured the best thing to do is hire a maid and get her trained in massage. In Hong Kong maids are a reality for many people... so I figure it kills two birds with one stone... I get my massages almost daily and the maid gets free tuition for a skill that she can continue to use long after she's left my employ.

The only catch is the missus... there was none of that 17 year old Thai girl as a maid nonsense...:( ... we have one that's as old as my granny and strong as an ox... she cooks good Thai food and gives a proper massage.

I can't complain.:)

Massage is an investment in your own longevity... you're more productive... more relaxed and clearer headed. It'd be silly not to. If people really take a look at their schedules and budgets they usually can manage to work in one or two a month. But it all depends on if they see it as an investment.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

For those who have to pay for that. :)

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol - you make it sound like that's a bad thing.:D

15. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Haha. There are those who pay because they want to, and those who pay because they have no alternative. :D

Reminds me of my highschool career aspirations. I wanted to be a gigilo, but I soon learned that you can't sell what you can't give away. :cool:

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I have a lesbian friend who is a massage therapist, and has made me an offer in the past that I would like to take her up on . . . if I come over there with a "subject" she will teach me some stuff, if I will give her a massage as part of the deal. I would like to take her up on it sometime, but need a subject.

17. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I often visit the local health club for a late night massage...

My Bro is qualified in sports massage...boy does that hurt...think elbows digging deep into your butt cheeks and fingers in your calves! ouch! feels good after though! i should know ive been his dummy for 3 years!

18. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I'm really going to be naughty lol.

:Aegis: , I give out plenty of massages lol,

You see I'm a therapist which does massage, aromatherapy and other types of holistic stuff.

Where else would you get paid for dishing out pain :D :D :D ,

Now you can tell why I love the job so much (with a evil twinkle in her eye lol)
    lisa xx

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  19. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

LOL... I've got one scheduled for next thursday with a petite little thing who inflicts more pain than any of the guys I roll with at my BJJ school. She's vicious. But it's very, very good.

20. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

This is a family site lads, please keep it clean (so we can keep the thread open ;)).