Mass protests & riots happening over murder by police officers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aaradia, May 31, 2020.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

As you can see in the paper I linked to earlier, it is a thorny constitutional issue.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  2. David Harrison

An effective opposition would be good at this time.

Anyone see Joe Biden's idea for solving systemic racism and healing the divides of a nation? Teach cops to shoot people in the legs instead of the body! The problem can be solved with marksmanship, apparently.

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

This is apparently how they got the military involved in the wake of the Rodney King riots in 92.

ned likes this.
  4. David Harrison

The big difference is that federal assistance was requested in that case.

Trump is talking about sending the troops into states that refuse to call up the national guard. He is effectively threatening states with invasion by the federal government.

axelb, ned, Mitlov and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Remember all the who ha during the Obama years when Texans thought Obama was gonna do in that.

Isn't it wierd that there not as upset when trump is actually going to do that.

6. David Harrison

It shows that the divides in America aren't even ideological, they are based on raw tribalism. It does't matter if my side do the things I was just shouting at their side for doing, because if my side do it, it's okay.

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

I agree, bit I wouldntsay it's equal on both sides, one side is definitely more unhinged from rationality, but that's the issue with FPTP voting systems.

You end up with two voting blocks who are both unhappy with the status quo.

Flying Crane and David Harrison like this.
  8. David Harrison

Absolutely. The fringe has taken over the mainstream Republican Party.

I'm sure that most Republican politicians hate Trump, but almost all of them sold their soul for power. Now it is no longer about individual liberty, laissez-faire capitalism and Christian ethics, it is about conspiracy theories, smear campaigns and propaganda.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

They had their chance to get rid of him. He was impeached. They did not remove him. That was their choice.

It is amazing to me how people like Ted Cruz, who Trump insulted so deeply and insulted his wife as well, has turned into Trumps bootlicker. These people have no spine and zero ethics.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's the American way.

Southpaw535 likes this.
  11. David Harrison

Police in Boston unloading what looks like bricks.

Lots of bad language in this video.

12. David Harrison

Fact check about the video above:
    Video does not show Boston police officers planting bricks at protest sites

13. Dead_pool

George Floyd death: Defence secretary opposes using troops - BBC News

Looks like it was an empty threat! What a surprise!

"
    US Defence Secretary Mark Esper has said he does not support deploying the army to end protests over the death of George Floyd and racial injustice.

It comes two days after President Donald Trump threatened to use the military to quell the demonstrations.

"I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act," Esper said, speaking at the Pentagon.

“The option to use active duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort, and only in the most urgent and dire of situations. We are not in one of those situations now," he said.

"

14. David Harrison

That in no way means it was an empty threat.

Esper will be gone soon. Trump only likes yes-men, not ones who show a bit of backbone and contradict him. Esper also apologised for using the word "battle space" in the leaked call to governors. I guess he figured it was better to be fired by Trump than go down in history as the man who organised the US military in attacking its own civilians.

Trump is commander-in-chief, so he calls the shots, not his secretary of defence.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

That's a very good point.

At least in order to do that, it will take a few more days, and trump has a very short attention span....

Hopefully the poor 5g reception in the bunker will reduce his tweeting less often too

David Harrison likes this.
  16. David Harrison

Didn't you hear? Trump was only inspecting the bunker for a very short time. Pure coincidence that people were protesting him outside!

Flying Crane likes this.
  17. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I give it a day.

David Harrison likes this.
  18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

As a slight aside, I've seen a lot of posts on the book of faces wondering why we Brits are protesting what's happening in the US and saying that we don't have those problems (yeah, I know, IQs are rarely into the double digits in my area). People don't remember that the UK has had riots and police brutality in the last 30-40 years (ironic part - those in my area who are short of brain cells are from mining areas and their grandparents still don't trust the police after the strikes of the 70's and 80's) so here is something I posted on Facebook.

And for those of you who are close to the protests - STAY SAFE!

hewho and David Harrison like this.
  19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

UK Police has something called "Within 24hr of Police contact"
    Meaning that if someone passes away, via any reason (bar it a terrorist attack or a building toppling over), after being with Police. Whether it was a stay in custody, a caution or even a stop and search...and its within a 24hr window. It gets investigated as potential Death in Custody. And everything is looked into. From initial contact to point of death.
    Officers involved in that contact are immediately brought in for interview, statements and also if body worn cameras are available.

ned, Anth, Southpaw535 and 3 others like this.
  20. David Harrison

Wow, only one spine to be found among them. Well done to Senator Murkowski.

Unbelievable cowardice from so many Republicans.