Mass Exodus of the U.K

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I haven't heard that. Is it from the Daily Mail?

2. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I got it from FB, don't read tabloid trash lol

Bozza Bostik likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'm not sure "Facebook groups" count as not tabloid trash.....

But anyway....

What is it about democratically elected MPs you "have no idea off"?

4. Dead_pool

It's actually a american political phrase....

Hence the turtle, which arnt indigenous to the UK.

So literally it's an american right wing Facebook meme.....

And when have those ever caused anything bad?

#trump

Bozza Bostik likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Southpaw535, David Harrison and Mitch like this.
  6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

We're also wasting a couple days voting to change a deal we've already agreed, and that the EU have already said a hundred times they're not renegotiating, so that's fun.

And I've had yet another day talking to people who really seem to think that when they read "Eu says..." they think its just Juncker sitting in his office rather than 27 other sovereign countries negotiating with 1.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Did you not notice the lol at the end

8. Dead_pool

Well this was no suprise!

EU takes less than 10 minutes to reject MPs' demand to bin Irish backstop

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If Brexiteers are so keen, why not give Northern Ireland back to create a unified Ireland? No border issues :)

Dead_pool and pgsmith like this.
  11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

According to Lord Ashcroft's polls, 63% of leave voters in GB would be fine with breaking up the union if it were a choice between that and not leaving the EU.

Brexit, the Border and the Union - Lord Ashcroft Polls

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Not sure about arrogant, if you like Mrs mays deal or not, she did conceded too much too early, yes I know it would be better to have a deal, and the EU, and the EU is a large export market for us, but does the EU really want effect it's biggest customer?
    The automotive industry, private and commercial, the risk of vehicle finance, and the legal costs involved. we are Holland biggest customer in the Horticultural sector from February to October 20 million plants and flower stems are imported daily, how much European wines, spirits, and beer, food, French cheese, pasta, fruit and veg, I agree we have to get a deal to protect our industries, but we got to play a bit harder, because even though the EU say they are United on the exit deal, I think the cracks will now start appearing, and I think it will start with the Germans.

13. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Because most of NO wish to remain part of the union.

14. David Harrison

I admire your optimism.

Southpaw535 and Bozza Bostik like this.
  15. David Harrison

It's very tight, and while most want to wait for a referendum on reunification, most do want a referendum.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Seems like there's a glimmer of something, at least the party supposedly in power are starting to gel around an amendment.
    I did say I didn't have confidence in the politicians, but I do retain some hope, I mean you have to right..

For a while I was the optimist thinking May would somehow pull it off against the odds. In recent weeks I did however become more pessemistic, sealed by the crushing defeat when the deal was put to a vote.

As things stand I don't think it's particularly right or helpful that the noises from the EU are at the moment sounding so inflexible.

It will take good will allround to pull this off, but all in all it has to be the best way forward; for everyone. I don't see why this back stop issue should derail the course that lies ahead. The alternatives being proposed to the backstop sound perfectly reasonable from what I can tell.

17. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Who does, the worst thing about the whole of the brexit is the British politicians.

Mitch and cloudz like this.
  18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I can think of a few reasons though.

Realistically, not many of the alternatives sound great. The EU have already offered not having a border and doing customs checks in places that will be less border-y, but the UK said no. This is an issue the UK very much wants all the cake in existence and to eat it until it dies.

May has been messing around for a year and a half and I'm sure that's been quite exasperating. Combined with how insulting and combative the campaign to leave was, combined with comments from politicians, and some high ranking ones at that, and I very much feel the UK has squandered whatever good will the EU had to be nice. Now I think they're quite happy to tell us to shove it and I don't blame them. This is yet another example. The EU has spent a year telling the UK they're waiting for us to suggest alternatives. May asked for a vote to tell the EU we don't want a backstop but, apart from a few vague ideas being kicked about, the UK still doesn't have a solid position on what we do want.

From an EU-centric position, they need to play hardball with this deal to make leaving unattractive, although I personally (and biased I admit) don't think they've been unreasonable throughout this process at all.

And tying them all together, we're leaving the EU, yet somehow there's been this big expectation that the EU basically sort out all our problems for us. May not being able to unite her party is her problem, not the EU's

Dead_pool and cloudz like this.
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's almost like...and I may be off here....this whole "leaving the EU" business is a LOT more complex than the leave campaign lead us to believe.
    I thought we'd leave one week and the next week the NHS would be getting 350 million extra?

Mitch, Dead_pool and Southpaw535 like this.
  20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I thought we were getting our empire back and all those undesirables from foreign countries would instantly disappear.

#freetommy
    #Iamtommy
    #Notonmywatch

Mitch and Dead_pool like this.