MAs taking a backseat.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pseudo, Apr 20, 2014.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Well, just got the news this morning, I'm being sent out for work to Iqualuit on Thursday. I'll be gone for 6 weeks, and home for 2 weeks, a really crapy turnover. This project is supposed to be for 2 years. I'm a bit gutted, I was really enjoying my training, I felt like I was progressing well and now, I leave.:mad:

Im not sure what the Internet situation will be like or if I will have time to jump on map, sounds like 12 hr work days. So my favorite online hangout might also be taking a seat as well. Ah well such is life. I guess this will give me the opportunity to focus on bodyweight training.... ei push up and sit ups :p. I'll see what kind of MA, gyms are available in Iqualuit but im not holding my breath.

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Not sure what style of school you'd like to find in Iqaulit, or if any will do, as long as you can Train, but below is a list of contact details, and 1 website, for a few clubs that may be accessible to you...

Inuksuk Karate Club:
    Fee: Less than 100 annually
    Ages: All ages
    Gymnasium
    Adult – Atii Fitness Centre
    Times: Juniors - 6:00-7:30 pm
    Adult - 7:30-9:30 pm

Judo Nunavut
    Fee: 6-7 $50; 8-18 $100; Adult $120
    Age Groups: 6-7; 8-18; Adults
    Times: Saturday: 6-7/8 1:00-2:00 pm, 8+
    2:00-3:00 pm;
    Tuesday: 6:30-7:30 pm.
    Adults/Higher Belts: Saturday: 3:00-4:00 pm;
    Tuesday: 7:30-9:00 pm;
    Thursday: 7:00-8:30 pm

Iqaluit Taekwon-Do Club
    Ages: 10 and up
    Times: Adults - Monday: 6:30-8:00 pm;
    Wednesday: 6:30-8:00 pm;
    Friday: 7:00-8:30 pm (higher belts).
    Youth – Monday: 3:30-4:30 pm;
    Wednesday: 6:30-8:00 pm (higher belts);
    Friday: 3:30-4:30 pm.

Inukshuk Ju Jitsu
    http://www.jujitsuedmonton.com/Inukshuk_Bushido_Kai/Home.html

I hope these will help keep you and your training, off of that 'Back seat!' ;-)

Travess

Email addresses and phone numbers removed - see the ToS

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I know the feeling. The wife is now living in a state far away and I've 2 kids to be mother and father to and its taking its toll on my health and ability to get to classes just at the time when I really needed to relieve stress.

Not getting any younger, either.

Travess posted some links to some places - you should check them out, even if they are not what you thought you wanted in MA, sometimes an Oasis is found where we expect it least.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Forget everywhere else and go here! Even if the karate sucks it's taught by Peter Frampton for rock's sake!

Mitch :D

5. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Hahaha! I didn't even clue in until you pointed that out!

6. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

These two clubs, I will probably check out. I'm most interested JJJ club, however I noticed it has its own place at bullshido( not good) and I can't seem to find any information on its roots. All I know is its ketto ryu JJJ, but again nothing else, seems to have a large fallowing in Canada, but again where did it come from!

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

How you gon' send me a friend request and then be gone from MAP pretty much forever, hmmm? :mad:

8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

You never know, I am looking at getting my Amurican passport, maybe you'll see me standing at your front door one day in my Gi and a tub of Crisco in hand. I remember you saying your in the Seattle area, I've been known to cross those lines.

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Lol. Look at what my profile says, and then consider the two places known for being called Washington in the U.S.. :p

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

This is too much, LOL

But, one has to consider that it isn't everyday that a MAP member hails from inside the Beltway. (Ya really ought to move down the pike to New Jersey, somewhere...won't mess with peoples' heads nearly as much, lol)

So naturally, a casual look at the word Washington would conjure up images of...:thinking: ... Nirvana...:confused: ... Da hell is that teley programme??..."Seattle Land"?...