Marvel's The Avengers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Fu_Bag, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Looking forward to this movie!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrNdBpGMv8"]Marvel's The Avengers- Trailer (OFFICIAL) - YouTube[/ame]

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, me too! Loved the recent Ironman, Thor, and Captain America movies! :D

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah saw this commercial during the Super Bowl. :p
    I just always have trouble reconciling the movies with the comic books that I grew up with. And perhaps to a larger extent the written version of anything compared to the movie. I'll watch it no doubt... but it seems to me they never quite live up to the the comic book for one reason or another. I should just start trying to look at them as entirely different in order to enjoy them. :(

4. aikiMac

You speak as if there is only one comic book version of superheros!

But yes, you should just look at these movies as a different way of enjoying superheros. :cool: Like, I never had any interest in Ironman until these movies. Now he's pretty cool to me. (I think it's the way R.D. Jr plays him.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Check this out...

Original Avengers comic for 12 cents! I don't think I usually paid more than 25 cents for my comics for a while.

[​IMG]

I can see where Slip's coming from, though. You definitely can't capture the same feeling, draw, and appeal in a movie as you can when expert artists and story people work with a kid's imagination.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Itll be an interesting mix of how theyre going to get everyone together, Captain America is supposedly the leader but Iron Man/Tony Stark is clearly going to be the ring leader.

I'm excited, but the only thing (very minor) thats a gripe is they seem to have gone back to the smooth, green ball look (Eric Bana), I much prefer the Ed Norton version of rippled 0% body fat version.
    Granted the green ball look is closer to the comics (even with the long bridge between the mouth and nose), but the grittier version was a lot cooler and knew Parkour and BJJ :)

7. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

It's easy to draw a movie that needs a 800,000,000 dollar budget, not so easy to produce one!

Been following the production on this since day one. Anyone belong to Superhero Hype? They have a good thread that's full of pics and vids from the set. Seen lots of good stuff. Personally though I'm still peeved that there's no Wasp or Antman in the first movie but Black Widow and Hawkeye are already on the team! I thought when Marvel started producing their own films stupidity like that was going to be a thing of the past! I won't not see it or hate it for that reason but I will already be thinking they got it wrong before I even get in the theatre. So now they have to work even harder to impress me with this film.

8. aikiMac

I had the same thought. I enjoyed the Edward Norton Hulk very much.

Does anyone know why he's not playing Bruce Banner in this movie?

9. Mushroom

Its basically was a dispute between himself and the original movie and the Producers. He was essentially an Executive Producer himself, with the amount of work he put in on it...playing Hulk himself was his idea, as well as lots of other script ideas that they filmed.
    If you look at the making of..documentary you can see how engrossed into the character he was and also the storyline.

Unfortunately, the studio thought that his story driving ideas that were filmed (now deleted scenes) were too "story driven" and wanted a more action movie feel and told him to do one.

He didnt even do any publicity for it as he felt very slighted.

Its a shame as everyone tends to forget that its Incredible Hulk that starts off everything. (Tony Stark turning up at the very end)

10. aikiMac

Sure is. In my imagination, I can see Norton and Downey playing beautifully off each other in this new movie. Take that line there in the trailor, about Downey loving the way Dr. Banner turns into a green monster of rage. Norton's facial expressions and mannerisms would have played off that so much better than the new guy does.

:cry: I want my Hulk!

11. Mushroom

I want my Hulk too :)

However Liv Tyler or Jennifer Connoley is more than welcome to return in anything....please....come back.... :love:

12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Looking forward to this, good to see Loki wanting to rule, but who are the ships? Skrulls?
    Also loved Starks reply to Captain Americas comment "Genius, billionair playoy, philanthropist".
    Dont let any man think he is just a man in a suit.

13. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Can't keep my excitement in any longer...

I saw 30 minutes of this movie on Tuesday just gone. Absolute action-joy-gasm!

Also, the new Spiderman looks epically-spentacularific.

14. boards

I'll be interested to see how they work the dynamics of the Uberpowers in Thor, Hulk and Iron Man vs superhuman but still much weaker Captain America and the Hawkeye and Black Widow. Will it be like Iron Man 2 where Widow is essentially limited to fighting humans and cracking the code? Can even Captain America realistically keep up with Loki's forces?

15. aikiMac

Well, they do have Hulk on their side! :) There's a recent cartoon where Loki somehow brings Bruce Banner to Asgard for the purpose of turning him into Hulk, and magically taking control of Hulk's mind, and this for the purpose of conquering Asgard.

Hulk single-handedly defeats the entire planet. Absolute crush-fest. Hulk smashed them all, and then, through his rage, he broke Loki's unbreakable mental spell.

So maybe that's how they'll win in this movie? :dunno: :)

I'm hoping for a lot of Hawkeye. I don't know much about him, but archers are so totally cool. I geek out over swords and bows & arrows.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

First NEVER EVER BRING UP THAT ABOMINATION OF AN ANIMATION AGAIN!!!!!! Marvel needs to realise that ever time that slant things so ridiculously in Hulks favor to apease the mindless drooling Hulk fanboys they ****off most off the rest of their fans. That animation was almost universally panned. If they do something that stupid in the film I doubt if there will be an Avengers 2!

While I agree that archers are cool and I always liked Hawkeye a lot (Green Arrow is far better though) So many people are upset that Hawkeye and Black Widow are on the team in the first movie instead of Wasp and Antman if they over use them it could fuel that fire. I'm sure he'll get his cool moments though!

17. aikiMac

Wow, touched a nerve, aye? ;)

Maybe they thought it'd be too much super-power stuff for one movie. You know, Ironman super-power suit plus Wasp's super powers of wings and laser beams plus Ant-Man's super power of growing and shrinking plus Thor plus Hulk is a lot to swallow. It's fine in a comic book because that's what comics are, but, :dunno: I don't know. I completely understand the desire that movies match the book, though. I have a unbreakable cardinal rule: "If it's not broken, don't fix it!"

E.g., I was heartbroken by (1) the abomination that is the Aang The Avatar Airbender movie (not to be confused with the blue aliens on another planet Avatar); and (2) the way Harry Potter killed Voldemort. These were not the same as the original forms! :mad: :yeleyes: :fight3:

At least Hawkeye is not wearing that stupid purple costume with the pointy mask. Green Arrow wins just on costume alone. Sheesh. Seriously, that's why I never read Hawkeye comics. I saw "Robin Hood" on the left and "Huh? Purple Guy?" on the right, and I always picked Robin Hood.

Now that I think about it, a hottie Wasp fairy babe would be pretty cool. Ya, why didn't they do that! Now you've got me crying about it! I want a fairy pixie hottie in the movie! ;)

18. boards

Green arrow is definitely cooler than hawkeye, plus he has that whole goatee of awesomeness thing going for him. The Green Arrow DC Short was pretty great as well.
    Hawkeye in the new avengers cartoon was pretty cool with his comments however.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Have you read "The Ultimates"?

This will probably be more "Ultimate Universe" and less Canonical

20. boards

No. I dont read the comics, I just watch the cartoons and movies.