Martial Arts Thug

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by funkymonk, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Yeah, I can kinda agree with that. He shouldnt have been learning MA to begin with perhaps? Is that agreeable? Which i think IS the instructors fault.

2. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Course it wouldn't, martial arts (traditional and otherwise) can and do have a positive effect on people but sadly it's not failproof. If people are that determined to be thugs then it's not the fault of the instructor. And no, just to get this straight before you start, his kickboxing instructor wasn't automatically like the Cobra Kai in the karate kid.

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Spiritual side of martial arts has nothing to do with this - it is just an irresponsible person the same as in any other thing on the plannet - bad drivers who are coach drivers etc.

One thing in this world you can not do it take away people rights to be ass %&^*£'s. It is a tragic thing that happened and it happens a lot just not all that often a martial arts person does it. This however in my mind does not make it any worse or better than a non martial arts person doing it.

It is just a sad factor of life

4. Timmy Boy

I agree that we shouldn't be teaching brainless thugs like him to fight but what can you do apart from check their criminal record, or chuck them out of the class if they exhibit violent behaviour (and by violent behaviour I don't just mean sparring before someone points that one out).

5. Timmy Boy

If they want to treat all their students like kids, yeah.

6. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Like Tim says, some people are just thugs. No amount of preaching from anyone will "save" them, so you can't blame the instructor for the actions of one stupid, violent person.

7. Banpen Fugyo

lol @ cobra kai.

You guys are right, Im not a fool, I know an irresponsible person is to blame, Im not doubting that. And yeah, I'm sure his teacher wasnt an ex-marine with tatoos on his head and 2 felonies, but can you honestly say the instructor has nothing to do with this? His student just killed someone using the technique he learned in his class, you dont think that it has anything to do with the way he was taught? Sonshu, your an instructor right? What if Tim, who you just met i think, got in a fight at a bar, and killed a guy. I mean, Tim isnt much of a thug, ( i dont think ), maybe he just got in a fight at a bar like most guys do. But he took what you taught him and killed someone using it, whether it was accidently or on purpose, you wouldnt feel the slightest amount of guilt? You wouldnt feel like it was your DUTY, as a martial arts teacher, to make sure what your teaching is being taken the right way.

8. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

I don't think that it should neccessarily be patronising. If students respect their instructors then they should look to them for guidance and appreciate it as well as follow it.

9. Banpen Fugyo

I dunno Tim, I mean, maybe its just cuz Ive always been able to read people well, but i can pick up on peoples tendancies and mental prowress pretty easily. I would assume a teacher, no no no wait, a MASTER of an art would recognize they are teaching a person like this.

10. Banpen Fugyo

lol, as I spell mental prowess wrong :rolleyes:

11. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Masters are still human beings. They don't have super mental powers. I'd say the instructor had nothing to do with this situation. Unless he encouraged the student to attack old people. My instructor teaches us lots of damaging techniques, bu8t he doesn't need to tell us to use them in extreme circumstances because it's common sense.

12. Banpen Fugyo

OK, so using what you learned in a class and using it to kill someone will have no effect on your teacher. K got it. What are other peoples opinions?

13. Timmy Boy

Well, if I'm not a violent person and I already conduct myself well, why do I need someone to preach to me about how to not be violent and conduct myself with respect?

14. Timmy Boy

I can hardly believe that someone who uses the cobra kai as a credible example of sport martial artists can claim to be an excellent judge of character :rolleyes:

15. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

It doesn't hurt though.

16. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

It might affect them but it won't be their fault

17. Banpen Fugyo

lol, god that makes me mad. It seems like your just saying things just to say them. Hows this, goto a bad part of town, give a guy a gun, show him how to use it, show him how to load it, shoot it, make it so he can hit 3 people with 2 bullets, show him how to hit people with the butt of it, and then show him reload and do it all over again. Dont tell him anything else, just techniques. Then when he kills someone using everything you taught him, dont feel bad because, hey, you didnt know he was gonna do that. Give me a freaking break.

18. Timmy Boy

It's insulting.

19. Banpen Fugyo

haha, wow, saying some sport guys remind me of a movie i once saw, big deal, get over it :bang:

20. Timmy Boy

Most people understand that they're only supposed to use martial arts in self defence. If you want to make sure that there's no chance of one of your students being a thug, just don't bother teaching martial arts. You simply can't judge people that easily.