Martial Arts styles that are better for women for Self Defense? {Split from Stories}

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Jesh, Oct 22, 2005.

1. BocaDeCalca

BocaDeCalca New Member

Disregarding the dorkiness of that name in itself, you've pretty much proved now that...

..You're unable to backup your above claim, or your claim of 2 MMA championships. Sherdog and Fcfighter list no "lucy o'malley" in their databases, and a google search for Lucy O'malley AND MMA OR Vale Tudo turns up nothing.

2. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

So by advising people to consider the possibility of a knife in an attack is somehow seeing them around every corner....get a grip.

And at what stage did I say that was what I done?

I have been doing martial arts for 12 years now and I am not bored yet. How could I get bored when so many entertaining people like yourself pass by so often. :D

I get the feeling you are just trying to pick arguments wherever you go...now that needs some serious looking into.

Read what you see, do not try to evaluate further and deeper into it and make character assumptions.

What you see is what you get with me.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

3. Lucy O'Malley

Proved what exactly. And somehow you think Dog Brothers sounds much better. Don't diss what you know nothing about. Perhaps you should speak to Marc Denny first before throwing insults at me.

When did I say 2 MMA titles? :confused:

So if it is not listed in Sherdog and FcFighter it obviously did not happen then.
    Why don't you just ask Peter McQueen, he was there with some of his fighters, fighting for British Titles too....so tell him their titles don't exist too.

And anyway, I am sure you know him personally, so just pick up the phone and ask...it will solve all this petty BS. It is not nice trying to take away a hard earnt achievement from someone.

I fought my heart out to have you tell me I was not there. I don't think so.

I hope once it is confirmed to you.....you come back and apologise, because if you are any kind of MMA fighter, you know it is not easy fighting in the ring with limited rules under pressure and then to be told you are lying and it never could of happened.

So who the hell are you and what authority do you have to say I did not gain the title I was presented.

Easy sitting behind a pseudo name on a keyboard spouting out BS and insults and attempting to strip people of titles because it does not suit you or your point of view.

Perhaps you should stop for a sec and consider the fact you could actually be wrong.

I look forward to the apology.

Lucy

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Wow. So nice ad homium. Especially considering you've already mentioned the Dog Brothers. Let's see there are also the Manilla Pitbulls. Do me a favor and talk crap about the dorkiness of their names. I can recommend a few people. Start with Poidog (make sure to point out how dorky dog brothers handles are).

The Black Eagles are an internationally known group.

She's no more able to than you're particularly able to back up that you've ever attended a Blauer class.

Look Lucy said she won a title in what I'm willing to bet was a small UK promotion in 2001. Ok Sherdog isn't the be all and end all. Considering that I've been to small promotion events here in the states as late as '02 that didn't register on anyones radar, it's not difficult to believe that what ever event Lucy fought at didn't make it to the net.

Lucy and Pat have a heck of a lot to lose by lying here. Both are well known and well regarded martial artists in the UK (so much so that I've heard about Pat from totally unrelated sources here in the US).

So basically you don't both to refute arguements that violate your closely held views and instead take this route. Don't say much for your arguement.

- Matt

5. oosh

oosh Valued Member

"Originally Posted by Lucy O'Malley

It was a Black Eagle Society meeting....

'Boca'
    Disregarding the dorkiness of that name in itself"

lol that comment pretty much somes up the sort of person you're dealing with Lucy, absolutely priceless :D Ignorant on so many levels.

6. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

In case you missed it, this is a martial arts website, a self defense forum, and a thread about women's self defense. It is not paranoid to assume that a person should be prepared for knives or weapons in such a discussion. It is reality. According to various sources, weapons such as knives are used in up to 25% of attacks in schools and in over 5% of all school fights. Those are places that are supposed to be weapon free. Or how about that 53% of victims of assaults with injuries had a knife used against them? http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/books/chapterfiles/Jun05ffmauser.pdf Although you may not be living in the land of paranoria, it doesn't seem like you are living in the land of reality either.

But you on the other hand should dictate the progression of a thread?

Troll baiting is basically trolling. Which is against the rules here.

I agree with Lucy's statement.

7. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

You people have positively killed this thread.

8. BocaDeCalca

BocaDeCalca New Member

I don't care. You could do hours of knockdown karate in your back yard every day, "The Black Eagle Society" would still sound like the syndicate that puts on the secret fighting tournament some 3D Beat-um-up on PS2 is based on.

I offered to PM you relevant details, and it's not an extraordinary claim to have attended a sample class.
    Winning 2 MMA titles and one of your students beating up a "high profile" BJJ guy is.
    And that's really all that needs saying about this, and from this point on, anyone who reads can tell that neither O'Malley can provide any evidence of their claims.

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

10. BocaDeCalca

BocaDeCalca New Member

Something involving grabbing the bottom of the foot and tipping them back that way. It was a long time ago, so my memory may not be accurate.

No.

A tiny bit, with the pads.
    No.

There was a drill where the instructor swung a pad at you from your peripheral vision.

Some of it.

Let me make this clear, I have a generally positive opinion of blauer. The high gear suit is great and he advocates aliveness.
    It's probable that this class, they were just waiting until the students were "ready" for noncompliance, which I personally have no patience to wait around for.

11. BocaDeCalca

BocaDeCalca New Member

Salty, Lonely and Crafty Dog's highlights say otherwise.

12. BocaDeCalca

BocaDeCalca New Member

Now, back to the original topic.

The reality of fighting ("physical self defense" if you prefer) is that there is thrashing, grappling, struggling for position and use of...wait for it...STRENGTH. It is an athletic activity that often leaves you winded, and I say this as someone considered as having good endurance.

The point of training is NOT to learn how to win "without using strength". Such an idea, if not in itself a non-concept (like "antigrappling"), is at least very impractical.

The point of training is to learn to use your strength more efficiently.

An athletic delivery system is essential for escaping bad positions (which is in turn, essential for women's self defense).

Questions about knives and pre-conflict escalation, while technically true, are irrelevant to my point, which concerns PHYSICAL ability.

13. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

OK enough squabling,
    Women come in many different sizes and tempraments, as do men,

what style's are best for Women, it depends on the woman, personaly some good ground skill ie BJJ everyone woman should be taught some of these.

apart from that a lot comes down to your personality and what type of training you enjoy,

14. Lucy O'Malley

BJJ is a good martial art for women and I also believe FMA to be a great martial art for women also. These are both arts where size does not matter and you can have as much effect as the next man, if your technique is correct.

However, which attributes would you consider important and how would you teach them in a short self defence course for general public to learn and take away with them?

Lucy

15. Lucy O'Malley

I love that first punch.

I think you should put it in the natural movement thread :D .

One because it is natural for women to swing handbags in such fashion and two, because it requires no training whatsoever. :D

The natural movement of a windmill. :D

Lucy

16. Lucy O'Malley

If you get a chance go to www.dogbrothers.com and view the clip for knife rumination.

Not to watch the knife part unless you want to, but if you go straight to the end of the clip there is a head butt.

Earlier in this thread there was mention that the head butt did not work for that lady, but if you see how effective even an almost accidental head butt is, you can see why they teach it as an option. When it does land it can be very effective. :bang: :cry:

Like all good techniques though, sometimes they fail you for different reasons so you need back up techniques too. :eek:

Lucy

17. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

She provided contact names for her title. And I'm sure that she would give you the BJJer's name if you PM'd her. She just didn't want to make it public. Just like you.

Sigh. Again she said one title, not two. And she never said that the student "beat up" a high profile BJJ guy. In fact they said the BJJ tapped the student. It just took him a bit and he got hit in the process. So clearly your not reading carefully enough.

As far as grappling in the DB clips, note that in most cases (at least with Denny) he rarely was the person who shot in. Usually it was his opponent, crashing-and-bashing through a number of head shots (again something not possible if the helment and gloves were not in place) and then Denny would roll. But even when Denny rolled he was typically stick grappling (ie using the stick to submit and hit on the ground).

Boca, you're predisposed to see from one perspective and I really question your willingness to step outside your current lens to look at other perspectives. I'm not saying this to be cruel. Rather, it just seems like your so entrenched in one view that we're all just yelling back and forth rather than having a conversation about these subjects.

- Matt

18. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Yes, but they only speculated that it might be the aftermath of a fight between inmates, nothing about the man being a police officer himself. The people at Snopes tend to be pretty good at finding things, but I am willing to accept the possibility that they failed to acquire the information from your legitimate source. They've been wrong before, just not very often...

I didn't say that.

I didn't say that either.

I thought you just said you were sure that this was a policeman.

It looks like it COULD have been someone that tried to fight barehanded when his opponent had a knife. But it could also be someone that was attacked from behind with a knife. Or it could be one of two guys in a knife fight, who actually had a knife himself. The picture alone is not enough to say exactly what happened. And the Snopes article didn't confirm that it was a police officer who had tried to tangle with a knife-wielding miscreant. They didn't claim it couldn't have been either. If you insist that a legitimate source confirms it, I'm perfectly willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

But that was my only reason for posting "probably not." I made no statements as to whether those wounds were caused by a knife (sure looks like it to me, but I'm not an expert) or whether knives are effective.

19. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

To ignore knife defence is just plain stupidity.

Or would it be more senisble to know it and not need it, as opposed to not know it and need it?

Just thought I would pop this on this thread for you as you seem to think that attacks on the street with a knife is a rare thing and only the stuff for other people get paranoid about.

Have a read and see what you think.

Now tell me again about not worring about a knife being used in a street situation?​

Just a little something to re-evaluate when it comes to being attacked on the street.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006