Martial arts shoes

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by waya, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I'll have to check them out. I'll see if my dealer has them

2. darlph

darlph New Member

I got the Addidas shoes. I can't wear them on the floor to work out in because we have carpeting and I have a bad knee. They drag when I pivot. I bought them initilly for support, but alas, living here in Florida and when not at my real job, I'm barefore anyways. So now when I have a test to sit through, I wear them for warmth. A/C. $$$$ wasted.
    For those who think I'm spoiled, At home I'm on the patio in the sun working out. Grass is good too. I have dark tan on my shoulders and shorts tan on my legs.
    I'm checking out the Discipline shoes also. Thanks for the info, guys.
    By the way, sometimes if you turn your toes in on slippery floors it may help keep your feet from slipping. Thay's what I do on the cement patio.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Darlph, much envy going on here, being Scottish I get very excited if I even get a little bit of colour to my skin ;)

I've seen the new Biltz range of shoe, there made of a kind of felty material which is very tough with a rubber sole. The shoe comes up to just below the ankle, its supposed to give a bit more support. Don't know if they'll help with sidekicks though.

Thanx

4. darlph

darlph New Member

YOu know what is really niceif you wear shoes? You actually cankick someone and they get hurt:) The only real problem I've found so far, is that some of the shoes restrict movement so you have to practice and break them in.

5. HKD

HKD New Member

i have some sliders by otomix, they don't slide :O) there very good and don't cost to much $30 i think. i like them alot. i had some pine trees they suck it's like working out on ice. i was busting my butt all over the place, ask waya

HKD

6. waya

waya Valued Member

haha, yeah, you were slipping alot on the wood floor lol. I am happy with the Discipline shoe though, at least I have some support for my foot that the Adidas didn't have. Those Otomix are sharp looking shoes though. I am trying to decide between a white pair of those or another pair of Discipline to go with White uniforms.

Rob

7. Pyry_Uotila

Pyry_Uotila New Member

yeah, i've heard of them.

one of my friend has a pair, i must say they're pretty cool. The thing is, that they don't make these in finland, so i have to order ones if i need to....

i myself like training with bare feet, because it hardens the feet.

8. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

personally i like training barefoot, i mean my feet are so tough now that i dont even wear shoes period unless i have to. Its a more natural feel for me. evey once and a while ill practice at home with actual sneakers on though, just so that should i need to defend myself ill be more familiar with the situation.

9. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Ide much rather be without shoes. The only time i have them on is when i go out somewhere. The only down part to hardly ever have shoes on is that your feat and toes can get all beat up. But oh well. I dont like feat anyways *LOL*

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

A little insight to the Discipline Hi-top shoe. I've had mine for at least a good 3yrs. The cool thing about their Hi-top design is the little cut out in the back for the achilles area. This allows the foot to have a fuller range of motion when throwing roundkicks as you strike with the top of the foot.

I've worn the Otomix Sting Ray, and did not care for it too much. I found it more restricting for a Hi-top MA shoe. Just my 2cents!

11. waya

waya Valued Member

How is the high top as a street shoe? I am debating between that and another pair of Asics

12. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I only wear it for training and haven't ventured out on the street with them, but in my opinion, I think that it provides good ankle support without being too restrictive.

You know how they run a size smaller than your normal size, so you'd normally buy a size up. If I were to get another pair, I'd probably just go up a half size for a more athletic fit.

13. waya

waya Valued Member

I'm just wondering about durability. My lowtops are pretty soft

14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

The Hi-tops is constructed with a combination of leather on the sides, toe and heel areas. The rest of the shoe is a nylon/cordura type body. I've have wear & tear on mine from training, and it's still in good condition, so it may hold up well for street use. Depends on how hard you are on shoes too I guess.

15. Holgate

Holgate New Member

unfortutanly having bad circulation in my feet and lower back problems I have to wear shoes at all times for training, the only time they are ever taken off is for gradings, even then the floor has to be swept because any cuts to my feet take along time to heal fully.

being a member of the TAGB the association do their own shoes (at 30 quid cheaper than the adidas ones!) and I have to say they are the most comfortable shoes I own...to the point where I have one pair to train in and one pair for more every day use!

16. TKDad

TKDad New Member

Yup, they are VERY nice. They're even better since there is a guy on eBay selling them for $33 + $7 shipping as of 10/1/03. (You'll have to search the "completed auctions" since I just bought the pair now up on auction. He has other sizes.) That is about half of the best net price.

17. yeesack

yeesack New Member

i think we can all benefit greatly from training with shoes appropriately.

i consider sprinting and running as a big part of my endurance training. and as well as skipping and various plyometric training. i agree that the surface medium in which we train in is crucial for condition but it doesn't mean that every moment of your training should include condition of your feet especially if it hinders the theme or essence of that particular workout.

for example, if you do skip-rope training, i bet you know just how much longer you can go for with a good pair of shoes on. this is important as it is an endurance exercise, and not so much a foot conditioning exercise. this means you can really go until the point of exhaustion which is the essence of endurance and stamina training.

plyometrics is also another example, especially with jump training. because if you land that many times and as high as you could possibly jump, i bet you will feel your feet begin to scream or ever bruise.

i also know that flat-footedness is usually caused when you walk barefoot on hard flat surfaces. "flat" is not natural, it is man-made. know this and you will understand why flat-footedness will cause a rolling of your feet (walk like a duck) which will cause knee and hip alignment problems, and eventually cause nervous disruptions which in the world of martial arts, means, energy flow disruptions. your stretch will improve if you fix this, your foot coordination as well as your speed and power will also improve.

recommended footwear: a good running shoe, good martial arts shoe, good feet and a good brain to be self-aware without too much fear. so read those books my kungfu buddies!

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i prefer training bare foot. it's a completely different feeling than having the shoes on. when i started training, there wasn't a tatami in the dojo, but still i didn't use any shoes. a while later, the new dojo was finished, it has tatami, and is fully equipped.
    the dojo at which i teach now does not have a tatami, but a wooden tile floor. sometimes i train with my shoes on, when i've got a bit of a cold or similar.
    some people mentioned that they did or didn't wear the shoes on the street. i am a bit in the dark here. the shoes i have are tkd shoes. they are meant only for training in the dojo, and not for wearing them on the street or every day outside. some mentioned that their shoes were slippery or uncomfortable. can't say that about mine.
    Chazz, you said that when u go to tournaments, u fight on hard floor. is it always like that?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  19. ammai

ammai New Member

Unfortunately I have to wear my shoes since I have a deflated heel cushion on my left foot from teaching on hard surfaces for many years now. It comes with the territory I guess?

20. TKDad

TKDad New Member

The seller that goes by the name "chajonshim" has 3 pairs on ebay (6/17/04) in 6, 6.5, and 8.5 for less than $35.