martial arts: search for enlightenment or learning to whoop ass!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by James Brunton, Oct 13, 2004.

1. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Yes they are, or at least a decent class should be :p. There is nothing I hate more than a strict class where the instructor demands unthinking obeisance from the students and insists MA be conducted in total silence. Sure, interruptions are annoying, so there needs to be some discipline, but by the same token, a certain degree of social interaction is essential, for me at least.

2. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

That was the case when I was in kung fu...the instructors wanted it to be strict (everyone line up, get in horse stance, and practice hand strikes. Now get in bow-and-arrow stance and do kicks back and forth across the kwoon. Now do drills. etc.) and they didn't like it if we talked or messed around.

In the MMA gym I went to, we talked and joked around a lot, but we were also all serious about our training. Most of the joking around went on before the class, before sparring or grappling, afterwards when we were getting a drink, or after class. It's possible to joke around and socialize while still getting things done and training hard.

3. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

I didn't mean no social interaction full stop! There's nothing wrong with letting a little bit of fun into the equation - my sensei has a really witty and sarcastic sense of humour which he unleashes on anyone who's not paying attention or messing around which can be very enjoyable! I just hate people who use the dojo as a substitute for a social venue, it mucks up training for the rest of us.

4. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Thats why I made this caveat:

So yeah, I agree with that. :D

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Very well said.....

I train because I like to face off with someone, see if i can get their number, and beat it....its a game.....a copy of a real game where the rules arent just as tough, you **** it up, you not going to die (hopefully), and at the same time it prepares you for having to play that game maybe some day....

I like to think that I come away from training a little more enlightened each time....I want to learn more about myself and what makes me tick....and i think MA is my way of doing that to the best i am able.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Glad you liked it. I seem to recall it wasn't too popular at the time I wrote it. :)

7. wing chun

wing chun Banned Banned

Can martial arts lead to both? whoopass thru enlightenment or enlightenment thru whoopass? :yeleyes:

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not really sure how you'd whupass through enlightenment. It's possible, I suppose. Reading the "one hand clapping" thread made me want to beat myself unconscious with my own shoes. I guess that could be used as a self defense tactic.

9. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

I think it's not a bad idea for a separate thread actually Stuart.
    Enlightenment through whoopass?:ask Yoda.... Dogbrothers, higher conciousness through harder contact. Don't get it personally.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Enlightenment through fighting I get (ala the Dog Brothers). It's the other way around that doesn't make much sense. In fact, I think it was probably a joke.

11. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Could you please post a link for that? I'd like to read it

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

13. redsandpalm

14. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

lol....good video!

15. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

I believe the chinese martial arts in particular were created to assist people in living peaceful lives and be one with human nature and if the situation occurred where someone didn't like it, they had the ability to kick their ass. ...and rightfully so.

Yours in martial arts,

Kid

16. wing chun

wing chun Banned Banned

i'm serious just think of wuji (empty mind)

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I hear ya. Okay. Wuji. Talk about that a bit. How does wuji reflect enlightenment? (I think we're using "enlightenment" pretty broadly here, and I'm cool with that.) And how does wuji help with fighting?

I have my own views. But for the sake of discussion, fire away. :)

Stuart

18. redsandpalm

Have to be quick here, sorry..(and all IMHO)...

In terms of fighting;
    1]Better stance
    2]Heavier hands
    3]Increased ability to understand/feel the dynamics of your own body and of your opponent.

Very complementary to hard external styles.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Those things come from "wuji"?

Or from "taiji"?

20. redsandpalm