martial arts 'PET HATES'

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Swimming Dragon, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Wax

Wax Valued Member

- People who refuse to find the happy medium between their and their partners prefered training level. There are a few older dudes in our class that just don't want to be punching each other like the younger of us do. Respect that just as they respect you and train a little harder.

- People who whinge every time they get hit. Guy's, we are training to fight, it's part of it.

- People who refuse to try different things during an excercize. If we are doing something for 40 min I'm going to want to try variations of it. We all move differently so we all need to find the best way to do it. And SiHing isn't going to get upset about it so there is no need to glance fearfully in his direction every time you try something.

2. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

People who think they're ultimate bad-asses and aren't, and people who think they're ultimate bad-asses and are (never good to be conceited).

3. benkei

benkei Valued Member

*The whole McDojo phenomenon
    *Practitioners who quote "history" (yes TKD ppl who claim a 2000 year heritage I'm talking to you!) just because their instructor told them it's true
    *People who always want to spar (because its always point sparring they want to do)
    *Lineage frauds
    *Practitioners who dismiss others for being thuggish just because they themselves can't fight and can't/won't step into a ring.

Outside of martial arts:

*You do martial arts? Do you have a black belt? (and then the look on their face when you flat out say no, as though you suck but "you'll get there one day", like they're in a position to judge. morons)
    *How's your taekwondo going? It's jujutsu or judo! Either get it right or don't bother asking!
    *You do martial arts? My son/daughter's bf/uncle/brother is a karate champion
    Wow, like I really care

4. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

McDojoers coming into your school and acting like they know everything, not listening to tips, being cocky, and being one of the worst martial artists you've ever seen! :woo:

5. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Excuse the imagery, but I think it is key to my point.

Ever wonder what it would be like to be having sex with your wife/husband, and he/she keeps telling you to stop just when it starts really going? And every time it starts going, you get told to stop. This happens several times.
    Personally, I've never experienced that, but I think I've met up on equal frustration in the form of point sparring.
    With that said, I do not like point sparring.

I feel the same way. I started MA to kick ass and hit on girls, and hit on girl at parties, not at the dojo.
    Also, the fact that you can do 50 pushups is very impressive. I can't.

6. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

- Kicking the air for a half hour in class for a warm up (what ever happened to jogging or skipping... they're more effective and take less time), especially when it takes 1/4 of the class.
    - Instructors not displaying what they teach, but claiming if you keep working you'll learn form applications, etc. but you never do.
    - (Mostly young) Instructors not telling you when they've taught you all they know.
    - Inviting your "tough" martial arts friends over to train and all they do is stand there and watch you. :bang: Then when they ask you for something to do, and you help them out, they put a half assed effort into it. :bang:
    - "I can do 50 push ups!" (Does them with their ass in the air, bending their elbows a quarter of the way)

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We have one woman in my dojang who takes summers off because she doesn't like to sweat.....oooooooookay.

8. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

*Punches Medi in the face EVEN HARDER*

What? What did I do???

thanks SM:)

I am a bit of an adrenaline monster though:)

Yup, I agree:) I despise people like that too.

I've thought of 2 more, both popular ones:

Point sparring -used to hate that at TKD competitions. I'd be there launching an attack on someone, getting really into it, then I'd score, and suddenly these idiots were telling me to stop. So unnatural.

Politics between styles - YEEELAAAAGH!!!!! ANATHEMA!!!! That was another one I used to put up with at my old TKD school (McDojo, rather. I'm not judging all TKD by that dung-hole, don't worry). I was forever hearing about how karate was rigid and useless and lousy and how I needed to get out of all my karate habits. ****ed me off.

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

XMA. gymnastics anyone? Plus what's up with flinging around katanas and the steel whip butt-hop?!?

Inside Kung Fu magazine. It's an entire mag devoted to Tiger Claw Media, Inc.

Ditching your school's traditions to jump on the latest MA bandwagon.

10. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

More times than I'd like to count. I think it's an American phenomena growing out of the Martial Arts school as babysitting program.

It really, really irks me. The most recent was at the original Pizzaria Uno here in Chicago. Plus the kid was obnoxious. My GF and I opted to leave before I got to aggitated by the whole thing.

- Matt

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I sometimes wear mine going through a drive thru, does that count against me? :)

12. Hui Lai

Hui Lai In the end, just pretend

1. People who get ****ed because you hit them a little too hard when you're sparring.
    Drop the ego. It's one thing if you get a bit crazy when you’re in a real fight. But don't be dumb and get upset with me in class. I'll just hurt you more.

2. I hear people all over the place thinking that they should be telling themselves how good they are. You have a teacher so you can learn from them. Your teacher will let you know what level you're at. Don't step on toes and raise yourself up on a pedestal. You're probably not as good as you think you are.

3. Martial Artists who study 3 different styles all at the same time and expect to be proficient in all of them.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

People who mistake me for an elk! Curse them!

14. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

People who think MA is like the movies, especially that you can take a full pelt kick/punch to the head, and it won't hurt and the trickle of blood from your mouth will actually make you fight better, and let you win even if you have taken a beating for the last 2 minutes.

15. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

Here are some things I frown on:

-What style can beat this style?
    -That style doesn't work.
    -That technique doesn't work.
    -TMAs are outdated
    -Eastern ways beat Western ways
    -Western ways beat Eastern ways
    -Partners you have to chase when sparring because they aren't aggressive enough

I still think a lot of alleged "MAists" are too religious with what they do. My old sparring partner, for example, would be really uncomfortable when I suggested he tried practicing a movement or two from western boxing...and he'd act like I was trying to "convert" him from his divine-pulp-Kung Fu. I mean, the guy literally fought me in the horse stance, and completely ate punches. ;)

16. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

I have seen this with even adults, they are wearing the belt and all. This was considered very poor educate in the dojo’s I attend and have taught at. I know parents are in a hurry but have the kid take off the belt and top at least. This was the rule we had. The pants were OK but you were required to remove the belt and top before leaving.

17. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

very clever.
    -people who go to the dojo to 'challenge', then never come back after a beating.
    -people who cry to the instructor about your going, "too hard," instead of talking to you about it.

18. hitsuzen

hitsuzen New Member

hello

people still do challenges?? where?

-bad instructors
    -going somewhere new, and the students treat you like you're a n00b
    -kid students that just joke around all the time
    -condescending black belts
    -mcdojos where, after you kick the instructor's ass in sparring (multiple times) still pretend to be much better than you, and want to make you learn/pay more $$.
    -protective gear, but this is just personal

i hate being mistaken for an elk, too ;)

shotokan, i think you would enjoy sparring with me. and likewise.

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well i'll take that. but who has done that?

i certainly am a hard core fan of MMA and the UFC, i'll admit that, but i've never said that its the only way to train realistically, thomas does TKD and he sounds to train very realistically, and i think you are confusing every day training for actual event bouts.

20. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I have no issue with the pants thing.

And to explain my issues, it comes down to three:
    1. Wearing a martial art uniform (or any uniform for that matter) immediately marks you. So you are not only represnting your school, but also your art and martial arts in general. So, not that this applies to anyone here, but if you do something bad in uniform then it's reflecting back on all of us.

After seeing a child, for example, acting out of control in "X" school's uniform, lowers my expectation of that school. It may be unfair, but it's the honest truth.

Let alone there are people who will hassle someone because of the uniform.

2. I think it reflects poorly on the practitioner as well. I once saw an adult drop a burger down his gi front. I'm sorry, but again, I'm going to judge the individual on that. Especially when I compare it to other japanese stylists who I've seen make a beautiful ritual out of folding a hakima (sp). In my opinion, it's those little things that speak world about someone's discipline and self-respect.

- Matt