Martial Arts over 40.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by namadesk, May 23, 2015.

1. namadesk

namadesk New Member

Seems like I constantly aam getting hurt or cut or brusied since I turned 40. I feel like I don't heal the way I used to. Has anyone else felt that way? Any suggestions for those who have gone thru this?

Frank
    Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015
  2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I don't think I ever felt any other way since I started training :D

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Please note we don't allow links back to personal sites.

Once you have enough posts you'll be able to add a link as a signature.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Once you hit40 muscle mass decreases as does bone density and T levels, its an ideal time to start weight training to of set this and concentrate on intelligent quality training over dumb quantity training.

5. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

I have returned to karate at 46 and I find that I need to adapt my stances and check my technique more these days. In my twenties I could punch badly all day but now it makes my shoulder and elbow hurt if my technique wanders a little.

6. kevets

kevets New Member

That's very well stated.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Make certain to take care with one's joints, which begin to make their introductions when you get older.

Besides the necessity of learning proper form and technique with respects to weight training - could you add any thing else that would benefit such as cod liver oil supplements, a particular diet, etc?

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've just started stretching daily, and so far its made a massive difference to my training.

Eat healthily, don't be overweight, don't be underweight, don't drink to excess regularly, do some cardio every week.

Simple things that make training and life more enjoyable.

9. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

External arts spend a lot of time doing conditioning drills and running into each other all the time, you might try to add some internal training to whatever you are doing. If you keep only doing external conditioning, you will not be bringing your training with you as you get older, it will diminish with age, while if you do the right internal training you will improve with age but it will not be from muscle conditioning.

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

When the body ages, it does not heal as fast. (Especially if someone becomes diabetic or obtains other disease-ailments) Also, any injuries in a youthful age become more apparent with aging

At this moment (if someone cares to help) I vaguely remember Bruce Lee training with a aging/older student/friend. Said friend told Bruce he could no longer do certain things like he used to

Anyway, here are a few links;

http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/TheAgingStudentoftheMartialArts.pdf

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/agingex/agingex.html

11. thanson02

thanson02 New Member

I noticed that my system didn't spring back like it use to once I got into my 30s. Injuries that use to take a day or two to heal now took a week. I am in my late 30s now and I am not looking forward to my 40s in this way.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  12. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

this second article is sad, some people just can't let go, the first is also sad.
    I think the mind gets better, or has more potential, as the body ages, learn to use it right and things will be better.

13. 47MartialMan

What do you mean? Please explain a little more

14. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

As you get older you learn that the mind has a lot more control of things than you realized when young and dumb.

Through doing the forgotten basics of most CMA systems you can develop this part.

15. 47MartialMan

But I do not think that this is "the mind getting better with age", as it is more of a maturity/responsibility level

Please explain further.

On friendly note; May I ask how old are you?

16. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

Yes, you need to do the basic training of standing to condition the mind to the body, takes a long time and must be done correctly, you should have a qualified teacher to guide you, or things can go astray or results can vary.

17. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Being over 40 sucks. I took up Judo at 41. Between HEMA, JSA and Judo, I hurt all the time.

First of all, don't overtrain. I am preparing to play hooky from Judo tonight because I am barely mobile. In my defence, I did HEMA demos (lots of sparring in full HEMA gear in an outdoor enclosure) Saturday and Sunday, did Judo Monday, and last night was two hours of boxing and cardio plus an hour of sword work. So I need a break. I have to teach a class tomorrow too. And I still feel guilty about skipping Judo.

Secondly, cold baths are your best friend. Seriously. After a hard night of training, have a cold bath. It actually feels REALLY good. It's like icing your whole body. It will reduce the inflammation greatly. You'll feel so much better in the morning.

Eat well. If you need a break, take a break. Stay hydrated during training. Injuries are more likely when you're dehydrated.

Eat things that boost your zinc, which boosts your testosterone. Some red meat, eggs, oysters, broccoli, etc.