Martial Arts "not so dangerous" for knees

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by fedebotti, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Dr. Petulant

Dr. Petulant Valued Member

Sounds like you might be best served finding someone in your area who really knows about movement and speaking to them. While you can't do Aikido, you could maybe do some of whatever your knowing-about-movement person teaches, so if they know yoga or Alexander technique or whatever you could be practicing that. My point is that knees shouldn't break, and however well you're using them now I bet you could do better; we all could. If they're your weak point then you need to make them stronger, and exercise guided by someone who knows about them in terms of exercise seems like a good idea. I'm not specifically recommending yoga or Alexander technique - I hardly know anything about either - just that there are coaches and therapists from all backgrounds who are really good at teaching, assessing and improving movement patterns. Look around the internet and the area, talk to people you know and try to find one. Get a good pattern then gradually load it and you should be able to get back to where you want to be. Good luck!

2. roblen

roblen Valued Member

hi

I too have knee problems and unfortunately knee injuries never really go away. I have some BJJ mates who have had multiple surgeries. I also have a good mate who plays football to a decent level and once they suffer in a similar fashion.

the doctors will tell you to simply stop your training9they did for me).

a stand up art with natural (i.e.tall) footwork would be ideal. wado is a good idea. most southern styles of kung fu. all the FMA and jkd of course. krav maga would suit too.

after looking at some different clubs following a hamstring injury (on top of the knee injury) I would avoid silat etc.

good luck