Martial arts is cheesy???

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Flinty, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

Hiya MAPers
    When i've told people how im going to be involved in martial arts, some people giggle or say that its dumb, or whatever, you get where im goin with this. Well, sometimes people mock me by making those "kung fu movie noises" or any martial arts cliche.

Trust me, they in no way influence my decision to take up martial arts.
    I'm just saying, what the *&$# is wrong with people? Has anybody else gotten any types of these reactions from ignorant people before?? Does anybody understand where im coming from?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I think a lot of people have heard that at one point or another. I think the best thing is to keep it to yourself. Avoids that problem entirely. Most people are rather insecure about themselves and will take a chance to big themselves up at your expense. If you get sensitized to that then it's hard not to let people wind you up.

Just keep it on the lo-lo... you know... the hush-hush and go on about your business.

3. Sarge

Sarge Wing Chun / MMA

I agree with Slip..and that should be a surprise you preserve and reserve for your own personal satisfaction when it might have fun application, if ya catch my drift. ;-)

4. Nii

Nii Valued Member

I don't get that problem here. I tell many people that I do martial arts and they seem relatively unsurprised. I try not to mention it when I meet girls though, it makes you seem like a person who likes to hurt people when the turth is rather the opposite...

5. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

what im thinkin is that most peoples mentality is that the only people who do MA are 10 yr olds, asians, or "nerdy" people. i guess MA isnt as popular with 16 yr teens

regardless of what people think, i enjoy it and thats all that matters

6. Nii

Nii Valued Member

Ah that explains it. The fact that I'm Asian I mean, and that noone is surprised by my learning of Martial Arts =P

I find the martial arts that are more sport oriented have a great deal to offer. I prefer them over 'regular' sports because I like the self improvement aspect and the capacity for learning. Also personally I hate team sports because there's always so much pressure! Better to play sports where I only rely on myself =P

7. Sarge

Sarge Wing Chun / MMA

Well, I know lots of teens who say they are interested in learning, but never want to compensate their source of knowledge, (seemingly) and aren't really committed to the harsh training it can involve. Most kids I know may boast about it to pump up their own ego or show face, but haven't a clue really. I never trained because of what I thought other people might think at all, and kept it as my personal favor to myself as "need to know" information. Most don't need to know and would only use it against you if they are that type. To those who've never dealt with this, I say... Lucky you I guess. Most of us used to watch "Kung Fu Theatre" every weekend. Finding a real kung fu teacher was a golden opportunity for me, as well as a fortunate one. I didn't want to share at first. :) But then, that's what Kung Fu is really about. Helping and sharing.

8. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

Just pick who you tell!!

I know the kind of people who will make fun of me so I don't tell them. :D

9. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

haha Nii i hope you didnt take any offense to that statement, i wasnt trying to be racial

10. Nii

Nii Valued Member

No worries. You are right of course. The majority of Asian parents make their child take some sort of martial art when they are young (including mine). No idea why. In my case, said child grows up to make Martial arts their hobby and passion.

An interesting point actually, Asians don't seem to be as sensitive to comments about race as other ethnic minorities. You rarely see them stirring up a media frenzy about whatever public figure saying whatever comment. I notice that it happens much more often with some other minorities.

11. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I usually just tell them football is played by a bunch of women and I have far too much self respect for myself to follow it.

12. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

The worst thing that can happen is when someone at a party finds out you do MA.

People start asking you to show them stuff. You try to politely say no, so you don't feel like some circus act. Some drunk idiot always tries to grab you from behid and choke you.

Then towards the end of the night some guy that didn't manage to get laid comes and tries to start something.

"Hey, Jet Li, I have a friend that's an ultimate fighter/bodybuilder/alligator-rapist, think you can beat him?"

"..No, just came here to have a few drinks with my friends"

"...I'm gonna call him now..."

13. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Personally, I just don't mention martial arts. There's no need to lie, but there's no need to tell the whole world either. It's none of their business ;)

14. Victoria

There's also a lot of idiots like this :D

I've had a guy want to spar on the desks at work before now.
    I've also had male friends send me home/out for supplies alone in the middle of the night because apparently having done some martial arts means you're invincible.
    Another male friend said people who do martial arts just want to kill people and get away with it, and that no innocent people get hurt so martial arts isn't for self defense at all.

You do get a lot of mixed reactions, so as I said above, need to know basis :)

15. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

ROTFLMAOH
    You all do martial arts!!!???
    Are you all nerdy, teen ager, Asians?

Oh, wait.....

As stated, don't pay attention to people who say stupid stuff, keep it to yourself or pick whom you tell. You'll end up saving yourself a lot of heartache and trouble from the idiots and from getting the wrong impressions from others.

16. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

As ive said before, it's hard for people not to know im a martial artist...i just oooze martial prowess...

Id say get used to ignorant people, and get used to them fast. You should see the dazed stares of disbelief from middle aged dog walkers in the park when they see me sprinting about and doing burpees, Christ you’d think I had two heads or something.

Don’t go around telling everyone your doing martial arts, but sooner or later it's going to come out. So expect to be taken the **** out of, expect even some of your (so called) mates to get slightly hostile towards you. It's because they are insecure, don’t understand and they most probably are jealous that you have the balls to go training and you appear to be making something of yourself.

Take some deep comfort in that, and learn to live independently.

17. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

Me too, I often walk around without a shirt on and my black sash around my waist, at odd and unexpected times I break stuff or do some crazy hip MA stuff to show my extreme power, deadliness and coolability.

18. righty

righty Valued Member

You could always ask them what their hobby is.

19. Victoria

Heh, that should keep them quite for a while just wondering if they have one or not :p

20. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

I have a friend that just calls it ballet

"oh ok your off for ballet training, cya" etc etc...