Martial Arts in New Zealand.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hongkongfuey, May 12, 2005.

1. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

In September I'm moving to New Zealand with my family. I'll be moving to the New Plymouth area, and am looking for Martial Arts clubs in that region. My preference is for Kung Fu styles, but will give anything a shot!

Anyone know of any decent clubs?

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the only club I know of is, as you can guess, a kickboxing club ;) my mate trains there. they had two fighters in the latest k-1 oceania tournament and they both won (one by ko, the other by totally dominating his opponent) so they must be doing something right. I can get some more details if you like.

3. hongkongfuey

Thanks Ikken - is that in the New Plymouth region? I did Thai boxing for a short while, and really enjoyed it - it suited my 'less subtle' nature! Will check it out if it is in the right area.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yep its in the NP region, im not sure where though- I just sent him a txt, I can give you the exact location whenever he gets round to txting me back. so why the move to NZ,work or just for a change of lifestyle?

5. TheHeianKid

TheHeianKid New Member

Here's the Martial Arts section from the New Plymouth 'yellow pages' phone book ... Don't know what any of these schools are like though ...
    Combined Martial Arts
    83 Eliot St New Plymouth
    0-6-759 1198

Shaolin Kung Fu & Tai Chi Centre
    0-6-752 1016

Karate - Do Goju Ryu
    New Plymouth
    0-6-753 5433

Samurai Karate
    0-6-759 9934

6. hongkongfuey

A bit of both really - NZ for the lifestyle, New Plymouth for the job! :D

7. hongkongfuey

thanks for the info. I'll look into those when I'm over.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

If you don't like what you find, then start your own! :D