Martial Arts Decorum

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xue Fang, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Firstly - apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I think it could be here but I'm not sure. Secondly - This is a bit trivial, but I'd like to know so here's the situation and question...

I'm already studying Tae Kwon Do, and have done so for four months (grading soon! :) ) But in January I'm about to start Judo. Now, we've been told to just come along in regular PE stuff, however, since I do TKD, I figure that wearing my dobok for TKD to the Judo classes (for the moment, until I get a Judo uniform) will be more functional and appropriate. Am I committing a major martial arts social faux pas here? :confused: Will my Judo instructor get annoyed if I turn up wearing the uniform of different martial art? :confused:

Also... if I do wear my TKD uniform, which belt do I wear with it? By the time I start Judo I'll be a yellowtag in TKD and therefore technically I should wear that belt with the uniform... however, I'll be a beginner still with Judo, so should I wear my old TKD whitebelt to signify I'm a beginner in Judo even though I'm yellowtag with TKD? :confused: Or should I wear the yellowtag belt? :confused:

Basically, do I wear my TKD uniform, and if I do, which belt do I wear with it? :confused:

Probably trivial, but anyone who can tell me the correct decorum for this, it's much appreciated. :D Thanks. :love:

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Wear the TKD uniform if you must and you don't mind it getting ripped off your back.

Wear the grade you are in JUDO i.e. White belt.

3. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

i second that,the tkd top is not made for grappling.thats why judo tops are a lot thicker to withstand pulling and ripping

4. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Ah... now I see... :p I thought Yoda was saying that my Judo instructor would be so affonted by my wearing a TKD uniform that he'd rip it off my back... :D :rolleyes:

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

First, I would ask the instructor.

Second, if I were going to a school of another style to train, I would wear plain workout clothes (or actualy I keep a medium weight traditional uniform with no patches on it for visiting) and would wear the rank that I earned in that style (unless prior arrangements were made). If you are planning to buy a judo uniform (with white belt), I would wear clean/tidy workout clothes until I got the new uniform.

Here's a goodd thread with some more debate on the topic and some great ideas:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4833&page=1&pp=15&highlight=visiting

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Maybe I was :Angel:

7. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

You'll want to wear something you can move easily in. You can get quite stretched out and wiggly in the ground portion of Judo (if it is being taught) from my experience with grappling and the throws look about the same too. The last thing you would want is a ripped out bottom. Even your heavy gis will rip while grappling because the seems aren't inforced and a TKD dobok might not even survive the first class. A Judo gi is the only thing that will really work out for you. And most instructors will want to to wear the rank you have in their school. You can ask him to be polite, but I wouldn't be surprised if he asks you to wear your white belt. I myself have to keep two belts in my gear bag, one for each style I attend.
    By the by, have fun. I start Judo myself in January.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

go in your tkd costume if you want, but dont expect it to last more than a couple of hours. judo gis are VERY heavy duty, a tkd dobok is not. and I would advise against wearing your belt, it will only make you look like an ass.

9. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

It is disrespectful to wear a uniform from anohter style/club so if i were you i would wear loose clothes to start with and so there is no bad first impressions. :)

10. The Damned

The Damned New Member

I don't believe that is true. I think its disrespectful, to turn up in another art's gi without consulting your new sensei.
    Its more sensible to train in casual clothing until given a green light to wear your gi from another art.

Always ask the instructor 1st.

11. tommy

tommy New Member

I also agree that it is not only arrogant, but very disrespectful to wear another style wear for your introduction to a new art.

12. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Listen to Thomas. This is the way to do it if the Sensei has been around long enough to bother with!

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think most people would regard it as arrogant to wear the dobok. The belt perhaps. You're not a rank in judo, so your rank in taekwondo is neither here nor there. Forget the belt. The dobok is just a practical consideration. It's designed for you to move easily. That just makes sense.

But in this case, as has already been said, there's no real question anyway. A taekwondo dobok wouldn't make the grade in a judo class. Heck, mine ripped in the course of regular standup sparring. Never mind hardcore grappling.

I expect most people don't have a judogi in the beginning. Don't worry about it. Just wear regular workout gear. Or your dobok if the sensei is cool with it. Just expect to get a judogi before too long if you stick with it.

Stuart

14. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Decorum

What he said..