Martial Arts conformity experiment

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Yohan, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I don't mind switching with Big mikey.
    I can be his disciple from childhood, with my parents being friends with him and having me train with him from a young age.
    That way I can be all "true to the style" brain washed crap.

*oh yeah im awesome at story telling*

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Ok Mikey, do you want to be the quite fancy master of this style??

3. jkd_si

jkd_si Valued Member

yeah sure i'll take a guruship, it'll be the closest i'll ever get lol. I think i'm old enough to be believable as a guru

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Of course you can
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshitsugu_Takamatsu
    Ive been basing most my story telling on this.

5. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I'm a fresh teenage black belt in the deadly art of *insert here*!

I have studied for a painstaking 6 years, and have properly learned the basics. I am now dwelling deeper into the art and beginning to understand it, to mold it, to master it.

*cue trailer music*

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

6 years to get a black belt in *insert style here*. Slow learner?

7. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Fine, I time travelled and it's 1 year now. Happy?

:)

8. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Hi I'm Jason Maclean, I first started training in Cobra Kung fu with the help of Guru Big Mikey, and make no mistake Guru Big Mikey is big, but his technique is flawless and he really helped me develope my style.

I originaly trained in a variety of traditional arts, but more and more I found it filled with big talkers who couldn't back up their facts. Let's face it most of the wimps who teach martial arts nowadays would get destroyed by your average street fighter who has way more fight time than most of those knuckle-heads put together.

Eventually I began training in Kung fu Cobra, and just as I was about to give up, I was opened up to a whole new world of effective self defence strategies that can be employed against anyone, I've seen 65 kilo students floor 110 kilo Muay Thai fighters, interestingly some Muay Thai guys do train at my gym and I have lots of respect for them, but they are missing certain techniques that they can only get from my instruction as I have extensive knowledge of Cobra Kung fu thanks to decades of training under some of the worlds top instructors in this lethal fighting style.

Recently I have helped adapt it for sport contexts, like Muay Thai fights, MMA and Sanda but it is usually to compliment fighters already existing styles. At the moment I am training a pure Cobra Kung fu fighter to enter some striking and grappling comps, and hope to see great success from him in 2012!

----
    Yohan is that the kind of Schtick you are after? Or should I tone it down a bit?

As for my record, at the moment the only competitive grappling fight I have had was with a european silver medalist (talk about a ringer!) and while I managed to hold on longer than anyone else in that tournament bar the final fight, I was still dominated through-out before being subbed at the end of the first round. So no real competitive record to talk of.... yet.... but there are some big plans for the end of this year and next so hold on to your seats ladies and gentlemen! :woo:

9. Yohan

No that is perfect. It's going to go on the website. Awesome!!

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As discussed Yohan I'm in

11. Yohan

Well we've got an organization. I'd like one more volunteer to be in the rogue black belt thing - I'll send out some info.

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

there are some old vale tudo films floating around somewhere. i can rummage through my old super 8s to see if i have any of the underground fight circuit films i filmed back in the late 80s and early 90s.

and i agree it has to be some old chinese fight-all-areas type art that migrated to some island or something.

i will look for the old vietnam tapes...

13. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I'll be the front man. But only if I can have silk robes and have people call me
    "MASSAH" :D

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i wanna be a blackbelt

15. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Are there still available spaces, cause this sounds interesting and I'd like to join. But it would probably be best if I pretend I'm a beginner, cause nobody's gonna believe I'm a 14 year old black-belt...

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Au contraire!

17. Aegis

We just had a thread recently where someone was complaining that their 10 year old had been given a black belt by their martial art style yet was unable to defend himself against another kid his own age. No-one doubted that all of this was true!

Trust me, junior black belts won't generally cause any extra skepticism about the existance of the style (though definitely about the quality!)

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

can i have a brown/ purple belt? rogue or otherwise. i can be some cool-aid addicted purple or brown.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  19. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

How can you give a 10 year old a black belt.....Thats just ridiculous

20. Aegis

100% agree with you on that, but it happens. Worryingly, it happens in a LOT of styles.