Martial Arts Complaints - Governing body

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tai Sabaki, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

Is there any governing body or authority that a complaint can by made to? Issue is the complaint would be against a governing body senior person. So can't complain to them and they don't belong to any higher governing body. With so many associations/organisations/federations. Is there any one overall standards agency that has any power?

Thanks!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If it was not an illegal action then the best you can do is air your grievances to the community. (Assuming here isn't someone higher ranked you can talk to)

You could also try talking to other senior officials about the issue.

axelb likes this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Nope.

Depending on the grievance, it can be either a civil matter or unlawful based on each individual incident.

Poor/bad business practice (which may include falsified qualifications) > trading standards or similar.

Assault/threat with intention to harm > Police.

pgsmith, Dead_pool, axelb and 2 others like this.
  4. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

Thanks both. Some good advice there!

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

The martial arts world is full of varied governing bodies and senior people ...

There was the martial arts commission ...I dont know if it still exists ....or who is affilliated these days

Smurf

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Twitter? The media sure makes it sound like Twitter is god.

Van Zandt and Knee Rider like this.
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The MAC lost its powers and closed late 80's I think.

Alansmurf likes this.
  8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Blimey I AM OLD AND PAST IT !!

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, they were a thing of the past when I started in 93.

Alansmurf likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yep, we learnt about it at school. In history...... On iPads...... Whilst playing with fidget spinners...... And talking about Pokemon go and pogs........

Alansmurf and Hannibal like this.
  11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The Governing Body may have an established complaints procedure, so you can still raise a formal grievance despite it concerning one of the top bods

I don't know what the chances of success are, but if it is a pattern of behaviour from this person and other people come forward, then eventually it will become impossible to ignore.

Mitch

Alansmurf likes this.
  12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

If the complaint is about sexual harassment I recommend speaking to the police right away.

If the complaint is that you feel unfairly treated in some way, i recommend speaking to the individual first. The problem could be due to a miscommunication. If this does not resolve your problem then I recommend putting in a formal complaint through your organisations complaints procedure. If this is unsuccessful I would recommend looking at outside bodies to complain to.

The organisation may be affiliated to a wider body, for example my club is affiliated to the BCCMA. The British council for Chinese martial arts. If you club is affiliated to such a body, you might be able to complain to them.

In addition the building I rent my teaching space from requires me to have policies for safeguarding students in place. If your club operates out of a sports hall or church hall you might be able to complain to them.

axelb likes this.
  13. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

Thanks all. The advice is very much appreciated and has given me some avenues to explore.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

the media? not mr. tiny hands himself?

i knew all social media was junk as soon as sarah palin got on facebook. which is when i deleted both my twitter and facebook accounts. harbinger of things to come from both platforms frankly, in that anyone can get on and anyone can say anything, no matter how false.

15. aikiMac

LOL, I like you even more! I never twittered in the first place because I saw it was too much trash, and a couple years back I stopped logging onto FB because it's 98% trash. :mad:

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You mean tweeted. :p

17. aikiMac

Ya, that. Thanks. :p:p