Martial Arts Books

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by waya, Jun 10, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Nope - sorry. I'ts pretty hard to get hold of.

2. Ti-Kwon-Leap

Ti-Kwon-Leap New Member

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Cool - don't blame me if it's rubbish :D

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I know of one you can keep well clear of- John van Bloody weener and his crappy shotokan karate book. All unscrupulous mcdojo-owners everywhere recommend it and I HATE IT!!!!

5. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

6. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

The Gracie Way by Kid Pelgro. Gives an illustrated history of the Gracie family and BJJ.

The Way Of The warrior by Howard Reid and Michael Croucher. Discusses various martial arts and a little history of each.

Filipino Martial Culture by Mark V. Wiley. As the title states.FMA history of the weapons, religion and some masters and their styles.

Filipino Fighting Arts, Theory and Practice. By Mark V. Wiley. As the title states, Various systems, their rankings, training along with illustrated practice.

These books give great insight to the FMA and MA in general.

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Marku,
    I haven't seen a copy of that book, but have heard good things about his writing from people whose opinions I trust.

I don't have many books on Hapkido, but do have a copy of Hapkido (Practical Hapkido Textbook) by Master Choe.

Don't know if he (Choe) is rated as a practitioner, but the book is a good overview of the Basic/ not so Basic Techniques.

He's also done another book and a couple of Videos via his World Hapkido Association out of Washington State, USA.

Most of the other books I've seen on Hapkido are things like the Bong Soo Han book from twenty odd years ago, which are a decent enough overview.

If you buy the M. Tedeschi book could you let us know your opinion on it and whether you feel that it's worth laying out the money for?

8. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

the books im currently waiting for are 2 jeet kune do books, tao of jeet kune do and jun fan/jeet kune do - Scientific streetfighting :D

9. wuchang79

wuchang79 New Member

10. GigFuMan

GigFuMan New Member

Marc Tedeschi's book is excellent. I highly recommend it. (Other than the fact that he's my Hapkido instructor.. so, I suppose I am a bit biased.)

But he presents the material in an honest, open way. I have a few Hapkido books, and that one is the best when it comes everything from technique, history, philosophy, etc).. it's got it all.

He just released a Taekwondo book as well featuring a lot of really great TKD people.

That's another very good book. I highly recommend it for Taekwondo folks out there.

11. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Here are some that i like.

Martial Artist:
    1. Karate-Do - My way of like (by: Gichin Funakoshi)
    Great to read about what this great person went through.
    2. The Secret of Inner Strength - My Story (By: Chuck Norris)
    I me Chuck's #1 fan so if you like him you will love this book.

Martial Arts:
    1. Martial Arts Training In Japan - A guide of Westerners (by: David Jones)
    Talks about the different types of martial arts in japen, how they started, and what they were/are like

Mental and Physical training:
    1. Iron Body Ninja (by: Ashida Kim)

2. Complete Conditioning for Martial Arts (by: Sean Cochran)
    Many Many work outs that help martial artist get and stay in shape.

OTHER:
    1. Mastering The Art of War

2. Tao Teh Ching (by: Lao Tzu)
    GREAT GREAT Book

12. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I confess to being surprised to read Ashida Kim recommended.

I have the Steve Kaufman 5 rings which is good.

My Art of War is the one translated by Ralph D Sawyer and it's excellent; there is a large section on Chinese military history to set the scene before you get to the AOW itself.

After reading Way of the Warrior, I wished I'd seen the series and not bothered with the reading of it because it seemed a little shallow/hollow on paper

Not mentioned so far is Dr Jang Jwing-Ming's book on chin-na seems expensive at £18 but is actually fantastic as it catalogues (with loads of photos and instructions) a large variety of locks etc. I'd say it was a must-have.

One book I read over and over is Robert W Smith's Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods. It collects his training experiences (with plenty of anecdotes) from a lengthy period spent out in the Far East

Regards,
    David

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  13. littlebird

littlebird New Member

Some books that are out of print can be still acquired through Amazon or Ebay.

Likeswise WinMX, and other filesharing avenues exist.

I particularly like the PDF versions for their flexibility.

14. butterfly_knf

butterfly_knf New Member

>>posted by freeform
    If anyone still looking, try :

http://www.literatureproject.com

I've read it, it's pretty good.

15. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

The Comprehansive Applications of Chin Na by Dr.Yang

The Comprehansive Applications of Chin Na by Dr.Yang

This book is the BEST martial arts book I have seen or read. (I've read every single MA book at borders and barnes& nobles, It took 2 days but the crazy thing, is they let you!) Alot of people complain because they say. "It shows the same techniques for different situations of defence", well anybody that studies an art for REAL combat, NOT sport/show (same to me) would understand that learning a few techs that can be applied to many situations goes along with the K.I.S.S. theory. Keep It Super Simple! I personally found 10 techniques that I would study because of there relative ease of application. I will add these to my current training curriculm. I feel chin na is what I have been lacking. This a good book I can only suggest that you get the videos as well. They are next on my list.

16. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

Re: The Comprehansive Applications of Chin Na by Dr.Yang

BAD STUFF-
    I read this book further and is sucks to a certain degree. It was confusing somewhat and DR.Yang was unorganized to say the least. I t contains over 150 techniques, but I found only about 10 to be totally street effective because of there ease to apply or they were too traditional and "fluffy". It was incomplete to a certain degree.

PLUS SIDE-
    The pictures were relatively easy to follow and he had good insights that most books don't. It is still the best book I have read an MA techs.

If there are better PLEASE let me know.

17. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member