Martial Arts Books

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by waya, Jun 10, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

Anyone have any suggestions on books or authors dealing with the arts?

I like Lao Tse, Sun Tzu, Miyamoto Musashi, and the books written By Masaaki Hatsumi personally, there is also an excellent book on the samurai Ryu by Karl F. Friday called Legacies of the Sword : The Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial Culture.

Rob

2. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

The last book I read was The Mindset of a Martial Artist by Dean Clerc.

A friend of mine has an impressive personal library so I just borrowed...
    Okinawan Karate,
    The Secret Art of Tuite
    by Javier Martinez

3. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

One book of many that I recommend is 'Zen in the art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel'

Cooler

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've heard the Steve Kaufman translation of 'The book of Five Rings' I think its gonna take me another ten years to fully understand it.

Anyone know of any good translations of Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'?

5. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

Yep! I've got a copy here in my flat. Bought it while I was on holiday in Thailand last year. Quite an indepth read so I'll give it to you for when you go to Wales.

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Kaufman has a translation of "The Art of War" also. I started reading it and then I moved and it got lost in the shuffle. What I had read was very good.

For my 2 cents, I'd *highly* recommend "The Unfettered Mind: Writings from the Zen Master to the Sword Master"

It's a compilation of 3 essays by Takuan Soho (a contemporary of Musashi). It is *excellent*

Mike

7. Chris from CT

Chris from CT Valued Member

I enjoy Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching and Sun Tzu's Art of War. If I had to recommend other books they would be...

Zen and the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
    It's and easy read and a great entry book for martial art philosophy.

Living the Martial Way by Forrest E. Morgan
    Gives the reader a understanding of developing the proper martial art mindset in today's environment.

Martial Art Teachers on Teaching by Carol A. Wiley
    It's a collection of essays from martial art teachers form different styles on teching more efficiently and making a positive effect on the student and yourself.

Ladyhawk, how was The Mindset of a Martial Artist by Dean Clerc?

Take care :)

8. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Chris,
    Mindset of the martial artist was very good. Definitely worth reading. I got it from amazon.com I even bought an extra that I gave a friend for Christmas. If I remember correctly they have sample pages from that book that you can read online.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Anybody recommend a good book for groundfighting, locks etc???

10. Ti-Kwon-Leap

Ti-Kwon-Leap New Member

The Essence of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is packed from front to back with locks, chokes and gi-less fighting techniques:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0865681945/103-4948523-5546265

Another great book I recommend is "What The Masters Know by Paul Maslak It's about the science and psychology of strategic fighting. its out of print but you may still be able to order it through Amazon or possibly Barnes and Noble:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0865680019/inferroveritaint

If money isn't an issue the Gracies (Renzo and Royler) have a couple of good BJJ books available through Amazon as well but be prepared to spend $30-40 US.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  11. Cain

Cain New Member

The art of fighting without fighting

Just got it a few days ago, deals with the phsychological aspects of a fight, am enjoying it rite now :D

|Cain|

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Sun Tzu "The art of War"
    Lao Tze "tao Te ching"
    BL "Tao Of JKD"
    "the Book of Five Rings"
    Gen Choi's Encyclopedia(my bible/koran/gita :D)
    Farmer burns books on wrestling forget the name tho.
    rex applegate's books on Self Defense
    i hav other books on survival systems/information, camofaulauge(sp), and lot other books which i hav read n forgot :D
    -TkdWarrior-

13. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

"Zen in the Martial Arts" by Joe Hyams is great evry time I read it.
    Also i can vouch for "The Essence of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu". The tecniques taught are easy to understand. I liked its chokes/submissions as wrestling contains none.

14. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

If you do a search online you'll find lots of versions of the old classics like the Tao Te Ching, Art Of War, etc. available as e-books, free for download.

Worth hunting around.

:)

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Is there any good public sites for the e-books, or is it a case of hunting them down?

16. Jim

Jim New Member

Freeform said...
    You should try the Andy Kaufman translation (he he)

If you want a link to Hagakuri try this... http://www.chez.com/220665/hagakure.html

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ah - Hagakuri - haven't read that for a LONG time.

Has anyone read "The Embossed Tea Kettle"

18. Ti-Kwon-Leap

Ti-Kwon-Leap New Member

What's it about, Yoda?

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It's a collection of "Zen writings" by Hakuin Zenji - 1685-1769

20. Jim

Jim New Member

Gotta link?