MARTIAL ARTS BELT DISPLAY CASE

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Owen Molloy, Nov 1, 2018.

?

How/Where do you store your Martial Arts belts?

1. Drawers

33.3%
  2. Bed side cabinet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Display case

11.1%
  4. Wardrobe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stored in loft/attic

33.3%
  6. Hung up

22.2%
  7. Martial arts holdall

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Owen Molloy

Owen Molloy New Member

I am currently part-taking in A-level Product Design, in my final project I have free rein on the whole thing. So, I have decided to design and manufacture a Martial Arts belt display case. Would be great to hear some responses and even suggestions to improve.

All of the possible responses are based on martial artists I have already interviewed. If your answer is different please say so. The more varied results the better.

Thanks for your time.
    Owen, :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have many belts in my garage. They are used as training aids (wrapped around my punch bag for attached hitting, hanging from for some back stretches, etc).
    The one belt I use to train in is either in my kit bag or round my waist. I think when I came up through the coloured belts they got recycled and handed on to other people.
    My daughter has her belts from TKD gradings and I've thought for a while about some sort of display or holder for them. I'd say there's more a market for a kids belt display than adults so maybe take that into account?

axelb, Monkey_Magic and pgsmith like this.
  3. Owen Molloy

Owen Molloy New Member

Massive help, thank you. I will definitely think about a specific age range rather than just general martial artists.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Some companies (like Century) produce a wide range of displays already/
    Rank Belt Display - 10 & 12 Level | Century Martial Arts

Some people make their own (a student made me a cool wood burned image of our logo on a slice of tree trunk and nailed old fashioned square nails in to hang belts from)... it's pretty cool.

I've seen people weave their old belts into a blanket type thing to hang up.

I think you'll want to look at 'who' would buy these. I think generally people who practice TMAs, so you will see a lot of kids. Maybe you'd want to do different sizes, like adult size belts and kid size belts, all with an easy way of affixing the belts that also looks good.

I think people would pay for the personalization - find a way to include cards detailing ranks or dates or event. Find a way to add pictures, flags, logos or titles and names to the display and maybe add a velcro section so people can add patches.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Belts!
    What are these strange things of which you speak?

Bozza Bostik, Hannibal, axelb and 2 others like this.
  6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Mine usually are in my bag or close to it.
    I thought about putting some nails in the wall and hang them there, but so far didn't do it, as I still need them all, aside from one.
    Plus: Right now, the dog would eat them.

7. ned

ned Valued Member

I keep my belt holding up my trousers:D

axelb likes this.
  8. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

That’s what I’ve been missing! No wonder my trousers keep falling down ...

9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Agree with @Smitfire more of a market for kids on the display.
    I have a load of belts through my time in martial arts, I have no idea where most are, my black belt hangs in my garage.

I've been looking at a rack for my kids collection.

10. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

axelb likes this.
  11. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Not sure what happened there, post is in the quote