Martial Arts Beginner's Goals

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by G.Razvan, May 6, 2011.

1. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Hello.I almost have 1 year of Martial Arts, taekwondo. In the 2-3 months I've worked hard trying to improvise my strenght, resistance, speed and of course flexibility(I have reached my first goal, a split). Now I'm trying to combine these factors with more technique. As I dont get any help from my trainers, just some techniques( I really have to study the internet too because their advise isn't everytime correct),motivation for hard training during the classes(it's another thing in team training) and some bag kicks I want to educate myself of course with some help.
    So, as a beginner in martial arts what goals I should have? And I dont want to work just on TKD style, I want to be an universal martial artist. My flexibility is very improved and speed too. I dont know...how many push-ups or pull-ups I have to do, what techniques I have to learn? SOme advises for a very good basement. Have a nice day!

Thank you very much!

2. french fri25

french fri25 Valued Member

One of the most important goals you should have as a beginner is to build a solid base. Learn the basics and become proficient in them. By building this solid foundation you are setting yourself up for success. If you have good basics it becomes a much easier and smoother transition once you move towards the advanced techniques.

What worries me about your post is the way you describe the views you have on your instructors. You say you dont get any help from you trainers. This is not good at all for obvious reasons. It is their job to teach you and help you progress in your martial arts journey; thats what they get paid for. You also say their advice isnt always correct. Since you have studied Taekwondo for under a year, how can you know if their advice is correct or not? If they are legitimate, licensed instructors there is a good chance they know a little more than you do. It sounds like you either need to start putting more faith and trust in your instructors knowledge and advice, or you need to find a new instructor.

You also state you want to progress in the martial arts outside of taekwondo. Thats great but if you want to learn another martial art you are going to need another teacher as well. My suggestion is you just practice what you have learned at your taekwondo school. Get a heavy bag and practice your kicks and punches. Come up with combinations. Make them flow. Make them come naturally.

Other than that I suggest to simply be healthy. Eat well, drink plenty of water and get rid of soda and crap like that from your diet. Exercise and run regularly and you will see a direct correlation between your physical fitness level and your taekwondo skill. Being stronger, faster, lighter, and smarter in your everyday life can only improve your taekwondo.

Good luck and whatever you do, dont stop training!

3. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

I agree with your opinion becuase , my bad, I did an incomplete thread(I'll try to fix that on future). But, in 1 year I got an complete image of my trainer, he's training me just for money. During the class there , usually, is a totally mess, everybody screaming and talking what they want => no discipline.
    About techniques. I veriffied my sayings at a seminar where I met the greater practitioners of Romania. And there an 4 dan instructor saw a lot of problems in my moves( I surelly asked my trainer about every technique and I saw that I'm the only one who does. He never told me move per move a technique). And the list can go on... And I feel bad becuase I'm an Martial Arts lover, I really do. This is why I don't want to stop at this TKD knowledges that I get from the classes. This is why I'm trying to get some help from you. I want to know when I can do the next technique (and I can verify myself with the videos, my books and I'll ask the isntructor too). These are my posibilities, I live in a small town, other martial arts classes dont exist. I love martial arts and I started to understand them.

This isn't a problem. I the last months I really emphasised on this. I'm really serious telling that at the moment I feel in the most great physic form that I've ever been. I can say that I have an average experience about this as I did fitness before Martial Arts.

Yes. I agree. Every day I'm practicing some beginner techniques(what I consider that's for newbies). Here is my main question. I want to expand my techniques aknowledge. Here I have to be much exact. I'm doing everyday the Poomsae Tae-Geuk Il Jang(I know it very well). For hands I do the are maki and jireugi,momtong jireugi and maki and a oelgul maki and jireugi. And for legs I started with the most easier techniques : ap chagi, mireo chagi, dollyo chagi and yeop chagi. I can handle them very good. What do you think when I should go to the next Poomsae and technqiues?

Thank you!

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Find a club that'll earn the hard earned money you're giving them

5. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

As I said I live in a small town and the only Martial Art style is TKD. Thank you!

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I doubt that - even in the remotest locations you can usually find a mix of styles...where are you?

7. Moi

Then once a week or once a month you travel to a better club and use tge one you're in now for the basics & practise. Sparring sessions are often held on weekends, seek one out

8. Mofan

Mofan Valued Member

Not all clubs just want to make money. Where I am learning is a good place. I can get what i need. It is worthy. You can just judge that which one is best.
    www.chenpeiju.com

9. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

I found out that here are some MMA classes. I don't know if it fits me becuase I don't consider an Martial ART, it's just a sport like boxing. It's MY opinion. But I'll try those classes after the exams. I'm living in Romania, region Harghita, city Gheorgheni, in the middle of nowhere :)).

Thank you!

10. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

I trust your sayings as you live in China, home of martial arts. Here, in occident I think you agree with me that are some jerk trainers too. This is why I dream to study MA in China. It's kinda of purpose:p

11. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

I will think at that. Thank you:)

12. Mofan

Mofan Valued Member

Yeah, there are some bad trainer in the world. As we all know it is inevitable. And welcome you to China someday.

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Trust me, there is indeed a real art form to MMA and Boxing. The art form lies in its sparring and technique. ;)

You'll be surprised.

14. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Thank you:)

15. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

I would like to discover that:) Thank you.

16. Moi

If you've got an MMA gym close to you then I think you'd be doing yourself an injustice by not at least giving it a look, if not a try for a couple of weeks. Your fitness and flexibility will stand you in good stead and whether you do both or make a choice then at least you'll be in a more informed position
    If you do give it a try, treat it as completely new, it's that 'empty your cup' phrase so very often quoted, this time it's in context:)
    The training will be completely different, after warming up everything taught will be in an alive manner with a partner, the thing you seem to be seeking??

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  17. Moi

I well aware of that but if they are taking money and not teaching a complete art but in fact a very small part of it then it amounts to much the same thing. No value

18. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Yes, you're right. Yes, this is what I'm seeking, because I've chosen MA for Self-Defence and Self-Esteem , besides of it's philosophy and art part, and I think this is a direct way to my goals (without the art part because I still do not think MMA is an art.) But HEY! I'll give it a shot:)
    Have a nice day!

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Opinion noted

You are wrong - completely - but your opinion is noted

20. Moi

In a way you're right as it's a ruleset but over the years it's becoming an art in it's own right. Very flexible art :) good luck!