Martial arts and the Law.

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by geves, Feb 18, 2005.

1. geves

geves Valued Member

On another topic there was talk about a martial artist's duty in the lines of self defense and i thought it would be a good topic.

After surfing the web a bit. I found this link:
    http://www.loyola.edu/maru/Martial Art Law.html

it's a long but interesting read that i think could be good for all of use to read, that can help us all think more about how we are viewed by the court system and how we should react when confronted with a potentially violent situation.

ENJOY :love:

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

There are some good points raised there - thanks for sharing.

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

It's interesting but as an essay, very poorly referenced. I have doubts about some of the facts as they are presented as a result.

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Great article mate.

Cleared up alot of points. Especially the "Castle Rule"

Thanks for sharing. :D

5. NaughtyKnight

I actually thought it was ratherly well regerenced. *shrug* not that I'm an authority on legal essays.

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

My wife is :p

I'll get her to cast an eye over it later :D

7. NaughtyKnight

Good work Silat.

Married to someone that knows the law. That could be scary. :D

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Bear in mind that the article refers to US law, so it doesn't apply outside the USA!

Of course, similar laws could apply elsewhere, but you'd need to check what the law is where you are.

Apologies if I'm just stating the obvious... :D

9. Sgt_Major

The obvious is often the first thing over-looked. You do right to mention it. Howevre, from my understanding of the law, a lot of countries have SIMILAR laws regarding the same offenses. But I'll get a legal opinion on THAT article regards where ever it relates to.

Knight> It can be! But if she gets too much, I ring my brother (He's a lawyer too) And let them argue it out! :p :D

10. Wax

Wax Valued Member

On NSW (Australia) laws.

Another thread mentioned that someone was challenged to a fight and then the aggressor announced that he had a knife. This passage seems relevant to these situations:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  11. NaughtyKnight

Your right Silat.

Most laws came from the English Common law. That means most of America's and Australia's are simular.

LOL.

Family get togethers must be great fun. :rolleyes: :D

If you ever get arrested, who are you going to call for legal representation? The wrong move could affect either your sex life or christmas card list forever. :D :eek: :D

12. Sgt_Major

My Brother, cos my wife doesnt do criminal law! :D

My Wife does more Company and Family law, liek divorce etc....so Im REALLLLLLY nice to her at the minute :p

13. NaughtyKnight

:D, your set from a legal stand point.

Divorce!!!! Make sure you make her a cup of tea every morning when she wakes up, should win you alot of browny points. :D