Martial Arts and people with disablities

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Saz, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Billy,
    Ghostsuit speaks Garlic! Just don't get too close!

Sadly, a very small percentage of Scotsmen speak Gaelic.

About the same proportion of Ninjas who run about on rooftops at the weekend probably.

Tracy, take that vial of poison away! You know I was only joking!

No.....no.......aaaaargh!

2. shadowknight

shadowknight New Member

Yep,I know...And its really tough using a grappling hook to haul my w/chair up to the roof...LOL! btw..I asked b/c I'm traveling to the Isles one of these days.

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

You will be made most welcome Billy. we have a scene for every season. Oh, and a Dram to take away the chill, should you partake! In the Summer we go Haggis hunting, though they are hard to find these days!

4. shadowknight

shadowknight New Member

Go raith maith agat...I thank you most kindly. And I will gladly raise a pint w/you..ya know we celts love good fellowship.Some things never die...even in the diaspora.

5. shadowknight

shadowknight New Member

P.S. Hiya Rob.
    hope to see you again soon.

6. Doug Tweedy

Doug Tweedy New Member

Hey Billy,

This is Doug and Michelle from Richmond. Good to hear that you're on this board! This is my first visit here...Michelle and I were down in NC this past weekend when Thom visited with Tracy. We had a great time training. I didn't realize you were of Scottish Heritage! Michelle and I both belong to the local St. Andrews Society and do work with the Celtic Festival and Highland games....we're newbies but love it!

I have 24 years experience in MA, both as a teacher and student, but after researching the Bujinkan I decided to "start over". My wife and I now train with Tracy (Ninjabumon) for the past year, too. It is the most realistic art that I have trained in. Because it has roots in TRUE combat arts hundreads of years old (NO sporting aspects). It truly is a living art. It is SO DIFFERENT in all aspects of training and thinking...

BTW, good to hear from you Rob (waya)! It was nice meeting you and your friend at Papa-san's seminar. I am happy to hear you've been getting together with Tracy. Michelle and I hope to see you soon in NC again. Maybe you'll consider going to Tai Kai, too? It'll be a blast.

7. waya

waya Valued Member

Wish I could make Tai Kai :-(
    I had a blast that weekend though. Looking forward to seein y'all down here again for sure.

Rob

8. Doug Tweedy

Doug Tweedy New Member

Good to hear from you, Rob!

I'll try to steer back onto the topic, somewhat.

I have been diabetic for about 14 years now. I don't consider myself "handicap" per se', however it has affected my body and mind in different ways at different times. I developed adhesive capsulitis in my shoulders which DRASTICALLY reduced my strength, mobility and flexibility in my arms. I am a big guy and have always been fairly strong in my upper body and this had a massive effect on me. Even after surgery and physical therapy it has been a long slow road to some sort of normallacy.

Training with Tracy has been a real eye opener. I have learned to adapt what I do and have learned to apply more "natural" motions and movements. Using my entire body rather than rely on muscle only strength. Most of us have heard this before, but still too many people "muscle" their way thru a technique...

Understand, or am I rambling too much? LOL

9. shadowknight

shadowknight New Member

Hi Everyone,
    Good to hear from you,Doug! What a coincidence. My undergrad was St.Andrews college in Laurinburg, NC! It seems we have quite a few things in common. I won't clutter up the board w/any more cultural stuff. If any of you want to chat further on celtic matters, contact me via private email.(billymacfionn@webtv.net) I'm sorta an amateur celtic/european history buff. So, I love to talk! LOL! I'm glad you guys found taijutsu. It is definitely one of the most adaptable arts around. I'm still using too much muscle in my technique,though.Some habits are hard to change. I'm a good example of that. And I can defintely relate to physical therapy.I've been through years of it! Keep training folks, and remember to take care of yourselves. Tell Michelle I said hello. Slan beo, Billy T.Sullivan

10. ninjabumon

ninjabumon New Member

Thanks everyone for you kind words. I really don't deserve them.
    Country Ninja,
    Tracy Crocker

11. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

eveyone has some great advise but (speaking from experance) its one if not the most hardest thing to teach in the martial arts the best thing to start with is confidence and then go from there for the worst thing to do is teach lots of things that they can do, this is to much so teach one technique for 10 areas of attacks (ju jitsu is known for teaching 10 defences for one attack) and this will give her a good fondation.

12. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

I am another handicapped martial artist. If you wish to contact me please do so.

The beginning is to try and see how close what you can do matches what you are supposed to be doing. Then break it down and see how what steps you need to take to come gradually closer and closer to the move you are trying to move.

Low kicks are excellant self defense moves. So are distractions. And an arm that cannot be used to strike or block with can be used to distract with.

Flexibiltiy and ease of movement also increase with training. Another real power can be gained by learning how to harness the power of spasticity.