Martial Arts and people with disablities

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Saz, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'm posting this because I need some advice on how to teach some self defence to a friend of mine who is physically disabled (cerebral palsy) The other night she was attacked by some d**k in a nightlub, and want me to help teach her some self defence in case it happens again. Kicks are pretty much out of the question, apart from maybe very low kicks, and she only has full use of one arm.
    Does anyone here have any ideas about what I can show her, or have any experience in this field? I'd be really grateful for any advice

Osu

Sarah

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Thats a hard question cause as we keep sayin' everyone is different. You said low kicks right? Stomping the toes, kicks to the knees and anckles, and shin scrapes (the edge of her foot down his shin) works well. Simple thinkgs such as her using her knee to parts to his body. Keys can be used as blades. Simple things can be the best of all.

If you dont mind me asking, how was she attacked?

-Chazz

3. waya

waya Valued Member

It's extremely difficult to put together a program for somone who is disabled, but I feel it's also more than worth the effort. I think Tracy Crocker (ninjabumon) would be a good person to ask and hope he sees the post since he has experience in that area. I have seen his student in action, he's quite capable of defending himself beyond where I thought possible. One thing I would keep in mind is that the wheelchair (assuming your friend uses one) can also be an extremely effective defense tool. If she doesn't, then I would suggest stressing making use of her environment to defend herself, as well as what Chazz has already stated. Looking helpless to lure the attacker is a good tactic once she is confident with her own skills.

Rob

4. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Teach her to scream if she is attacked she has to draw attention to herself most attackers dont like this.

Go for the attackers eyes and stick your nails right in there, bite his/her nose off.

Basically get down and dirty.

Cooler

5. waya

waya Valued Member

I agree,
    It is hard to seriously contemplate doing that kind of harm to another person before you have had to. But the question remains to everyone, disabled or not, is their well being worth your life or safety? I don't believe it is. Just make sure whatever you teach her, she knows it is real and not something that's just "flashy".

Rob

6. Chazz

Yeah tell her to be MEAN. Go for anything that will save her. Tell her not to wait till what she might think is a better time for her to get away, cause there might not be one.

7. ninjabumon

ninjabumon New Member

Hi,
    Regardless of all we say and all we know about Martial Arts, if you don't have a disability, you honestly cannot understand how they feel. I have had to spend countless hours working with a friend of mine named Billy Sullivan. He also has CP. Billy will be in a major martial arts publication soon talking about just this thing. What a disabled person can do with Martial Arts. I invite you Kyokushin Girl to send me a private e-mail. We can E-mail as well as speak with you privately on the phone about these matters. Billy has also elected to speak with your friend as well as yourself. Billy also has a Masters Degree in Counseling and Psy. He really, honestly can help you out. Maybe, I can too. My E-mail address is Ninjabumon@aol.com. My name is Tracy Crocker. I am a Shidoshi (5th Dan)in the Bujinkan. Billy Sullivan is a 5th Kyu and has been studying Ninpo Taijutsu for over 10 years. Give us a chance to help you. You have to take the first step.

Country Ninja,
    Tracy Crocker

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

This, people is what this site is about. Regardless of our differences, we all work together to help others.

Tracy gets a gold star.

9. waya

waya Valued Member

Andy you ought to work with him in person lol

Believe me, between him and Papa-san you walk away with a new outlook on things (and a few bumps hahahaha).

Rob

10. Andy Murray

Any particular reason Rob?

11. waya

waya Valued Member

The way they explain things... You actually feel what is supposed to happen.... Everything is done realistically, and they both have alot of experience with how the applications, as well as the mind should really work. It's more than just being shown a physical technique, you actually learn the why, and the mental aspect of doing it right and making everything flow naturally instead of being a jerky, thought out motion.

12. Andy Murray

Is it that this is the first time you have been taught like this, or just that they are so exceptional?

13. waya

waya Valued Member

I have been taught that way before, but they were really exceptional as well

14. Andy Murray

Then let's have some articles Tracy. Input, we need Input!

15. Chazz

Yeah please do

16. shadowknight

shadowknight New Member

Hi folks, I am Billy T. Sullivan (shadowknight). Tracy Crocker's (ninjabumon) student Yep,I'm the guy with the disability who Tracy mentioned.My advice to you Kyokushin Girl? Pressure points,anatomical w eaknesses! Without having met your friend, I can only give basic advice. You say she only has use of one arm? Try working with block/strikes using the same arm. For example. And this is assuming she can walk, The opponent comes in w/standard punch, defender: outside blockw/forearm, step in,claw to the eyes/or punch to the throat. She can also trap/grapple w/the arm as well. Look at simple ways to take the attacker down. Eyes. ears, throat/neck are all good areas to attack. From a grab, peel the thumb away and pull it down and break it off! The thumb is the weakest part of the hand. The idea is to control the opponent, so he'll stop hitting you and take him out if necessary. You and your friend will have to look at standard techniques and ADAPT them to her needs. This is going to be a slow and experimental process. You both must be patient and committed. I wish you both the best. If you need help brainstorming, my email is billymacfionn@webtv.net. I will be glad to help.
    With Truth and Honor, Billy T.Sullivan

17. Cooler

:) Welcome to the boards Billy look forward to more input from yourself.

Cooler

18. shadowknight

shadowknight New Member

Thanks Cooler, A quick question,just 'cuz I'm curious,do you speak Gaelic?

19. Cooler

No. :)

Cooler

20. waya

waya Valued Member

Billy,
    Good to see ya in here. Look forward to seeing you when I finally make it down to train more with Tracy.

Rob