Martial Arts and Eyesight

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by WhiteWizard, Jan 8, 2004.

1. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

An update on things on my front i got contacts last week and i'm finding them very good so far used them in last weeks class and i felt a bit more comfortable i used to spend half my time adjusting or cleaning my glasses so i could see what i was doing.

Aparently they are talking about a new treatment for people who can't get lazer surgery like me. this involves them grafting a contact onto the back of the eye so it just becomes part of the eye. Only heard a bit about this but sounds interesting

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

just an update, got contacts around a month ago and they're canny for training. now i dont have to worry about my spex flying about when i do back-kicks and the like. havent done any sparring yet so i dont know if ill be any better with them.

WW, give me a shout if you hear anything else about that new treatmet because it sounds interesting.

3. TigerAn1

TigerAn1 A Southern Praying Mantis

Just curious- were those soft or hard lens contacts? I had hard lenses and had problems wearing them in contact sports. I switched to soft lenses and never had a problem.

4. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

They were soft. I never had any problems for years, but as my Dr. said , sometimes your eyes grow tired of the lenses. It is different for lots of people. I thought that I had it made with contacts, but it was not so.

5. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

from what I see.....I think I still have good sight. My eyes don't bother me

6. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

um i seeen thes like glasses goggles there good cuz if un get hit in em there fine but contacts migh brake

7. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Grappling completely blind is possible. We've done this, using blind folds.

There have been a few high level Judo and Wrestlers that where blind.

The only thing you have to do is start in a clinch. Seperated you are at a big disadvantage. I think in wrestling there is a rule about that. If one competitor is blind you have to start in a tie up.

You would however need a lot of one on one, or helpful training partners, not being able to see the demonstration like the rest of the class ;)

8. Mordred

Mordred New Member

I am short sighted with astigmatism in one eye. I wear glasses all the time. When I take them off initially everything is blurry (that is everything futher away than 2 meters) but it gets better after a while.

I do not train with glasses, I take them off, its too easy to either break the glasses or injure yourself with them on your face.

In jujutsu I don't have any problems not wearing the glasses, although sometimes I can't exactly see details of what my sensei is demonstrating, he knows this and will help me out whenever I missed a detail.

9. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

I am pretty blind without my glasses and wear goggles in class. At times I have problems with them steaming up. I have a balance problem and use visual clues to help maintain my equilibrium so sparring blind was a total disaster.

When I spar I do have a blind spot that I have had to adjust my hand position for or else I walk into everyones hand pads.

10. Chase

Chase New Member

Hi Sai, I practice from a chair, as I have Cp & big blind spot directly behind the chair. In fact, I've noticed that my push hands turns into Chi Sao the more things get behind me. I taught a very visually impaired student, & realized as a natural solution to the problem that he had to "feel" thru contact my movement. The emphasis on sensitivity might be easier.
    Ingat ka, ;)

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

i know an easy eye exercise:
    open eyes, close eyes, open eyes, close eyes. repeat quickly until you fall asleep.

:D