Martial arts and dyspraxia

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hatamoto, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Hey gang.

Was talking to a friend last night about my recent something-approaching-success with ladies, and he said he has dyspraxia which doesn't help his confidence in approaching people. I said I've heard of that, it's lack of body awarness and coordination isn't it? He said that's part of it, yeah.

So I was wondering, given the coordination and balance and awareness bit, would a gentle introduction to martial arts perhaps help him develop some stability? I was thinking of showing him a few tai chi forms, not that I'm qualified to teach by a long way, but just to show him something like cloud hands so he can work on co ordinating his hands and feet, or get used to knowing where his one hand is while he's looking at the other. Would this help at all, do you think?

I'm playing Jim'll fix it again coz I hate to see someone struggling, but I thought martial arts can develop coordination, might it not help dyspraxia any? Would appreciate your imput and suggestions.

2. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

I was horribly uncoordinated before martial arts (didn't know it was a disease). It helped me considerably.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

One of my friends has dyspraxia. When she started karate she couldn't even do left from right. She's now going for her second dan in a month.

She still sometimes has issues with learning the odd technique, but she is the scourge of kumite. She will end you.

So in my experience MA will help. Though I can only say that for a very structured form of karate...

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've taught and still teach several students with dyspraxia. They find MA challenging but benefit from it enormously.

Mitch

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We had a student with dyspraxia. My instuctor (after several years) said to his mother, "he is not really making gains".

His mother said that he should definately keep training, as it had helped him enourmously.

He has now left school and works in a gym.

6. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Thank you guys, I'll let me friend know, if nothing else I'm hoping it will encourage him, knowing it's possible to improve :)

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Learning to break fall helps as does fast techniques with rapid changes in direction. I used to teach a girl in the junior class when I trained who had this condition. Her parents tried to make it an excuse to plead for special treatment. I promptly ignored their pleas and tossed her around the mat like every other child I taught.

8. crystal waters

crystal waters New Member

the company i work for helps lots of people with issues like dyspraxia... and i have seen lots of improvements to kids and adult lives with the use of specially priscribed spectacles and exercises (vision theraphy).
    alot of theese exercises do have a little martail arts look to them...
    I do think that teaching your friend some tai chi can only help.. i found it very helpful with co-ordination and cofidence...
    ask your friend if he is interesting in getting some proffessinal help with his dyspraxia then to google Behavioural Optometrists..

9. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Me too. In only a month's worth of training, I saw a much good improvement in my overall posture and coordination. I think it would definitely help! Just be patient with him.

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i got coordination problems caused by my small cerebellum.

martial arts does help. :)

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm pretty sure I had dyspraxia growing up, clumsy, uncoordinated, didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was 9 etc, etc, started MA at 15, many problem free years have followed.