Martial Arts a way of life or a hobby

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tai-gip, Sep 3, 2003.

1. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Like my highschool teacher always said "you only get out what you put in" how does this equate in terms of physical practice and mental outlook....:eek:

2. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

It's a hobby for me.

You learn english at school to get by in life and what not, but does it make it a way of life? We are not warriors who have to be ready to fight 24/7 on the battle field, but we're prepared to fight if the need arises.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Martial Arts used to be away of life for me.

Now it's just a hobby.

I feel SO much better :D

4. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Mental outlook: definitely a way of life
    Physical practice: so far, hobby-level, but I'm working at ramping that up. Four classes a week is the most I can take right now, but there is plenty of home-study and practice to do.
    It's been a long time building, so I'm fairly serious about it.

5. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I think a lot of the things I've learned in it apply elsewhere in my life, but I don't really fancy myself as any sort of warrior. The days of melee combat alone fighting wars are long over.

6. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

MA principals are a way of life & have been for 27yrs. now, but physical practice is one manifestation which gets a little harder to keep up with each passing year.:(

7. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

lol i im only 27 but i hear that cal;)
    and yes to me its a way of life in terms of applying the same principals to other things like driving or my job as musashi wrote a master of an art any art has the same focus as a master warrior (not an actual quote but a literal translation)
    my reflexes alow me to give quite a few motorbikes a shock at traffic lights :D

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'm 27 too! I'd like to say its a way of life, thats what we want it to be is't it? But if thats true it should probably take up more of my life!

9. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Even though times have changed, it's still a way of life. There are many ways to be a warrior. Find any post by Kurohana and check out his signature. That's the Warrior's Creed.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It was a hobby until I realized that I could seemlessly blend a particular martial art (for me it was aikido) into Christianity and my own world view. After that point in time martial arts became my way of life. I think of myself as a martial artist even (but not a very good one -- but I'm trying every day to get better and better).

11. God

God New Member

well, i don't practice 4 times a week (only two), but i like to think i'm more dedicated than most of the students. i mean, i like to think that.

12. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

And thats a good point its about how we learn and apply some people can learn quicker than others eg they want more from it so they get it others are happy to go with the group..

13. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

tai-gip; I don't think the subject that you are talking to God about is what aikiMac nec. meant. I could be wrong, but trying every day to be a better MA'ist isn't nec. the same as training every day. But keep up the dialog and let me know if God answers you. :D

14. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Cal thats what im saying its "how" you put in when putting in that makes the differance some people dont get much out of a years training others get more from one month ...

15. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

I understand what your saying, & I beleave that you know what I am saying. But, I don't think you understand what I mean. I feel that the inference is to shaping your life according to the principles of your MA, and not to frequency of training or rate of learning.

p.s. although if you apply MA to you life and don't train at all, I don't think you can define yourself as a MA'ist. You lead a principled life & the esoteric side of MA is your resource.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

way of life here, six days a week nine to ten hours of training each day. if it wasnt a way of life then id be wasting my time huh?

17. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

It's a big part of my life.

Not the way, a hobby, or anything like that. Just in element in a conglomeration of mundane things that I do on a daily basis. Sleep, School, Various things, and Martial Arts, as it goes.

18. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

not for me i look at that stuff as there nothing else. i hate school but i dont hate martial arts.
    i emphasise more of my life to martial arts than school or what not.
    signing off for the night.
    bye

19. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Cal that would be the "how" you put in i guess sory i didnt put it clearer but thats exactly what i was trying to say..

20. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

^ looks like a troll, seems like a troll, starts trollish threads, makes trollish posts...

see what I'm getting at? :)

Sorry, I've just been reading the forums for a half hour and I'm getting a little irritated..