Martial Artists VS Street Fighters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Karate Freak, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

for the record, i have not started classes yet :bang:

i admit though, i do feel a little stupid making a serious reply to a thread called "martial artists vs street fighters"...just the thought of training in TKD must be killing off brain cells :cry:

2. A_Munk3y

A_Munk3y Valued Member

well heres what i mean again..
    ive already posted but let me post again...
    hers example
    i have had very little ma experince... only when i was 7-10 i did a little tkd
    nothing really to learn
    anyway last year i went to a very well known tkd school in florida
    i went as a trial for 2 days...
    now one of those days i cant remember which they had a fun tournament (well not exactly a tournament but just some fights) in class between fighters.... it was just 1 fight for each person and it was just randomly picking pepole to fight each other
    lucky for me i got teamed up with the highes ranked black belt in the class..
    now b4 we went to fight he had told me that they have these very often and he had never lost..
    anyway time came for our fight, they gave us the special head thing and foot and hand thingies...(the cushions i dont know what they are called) so we dont injure each other and we began to fight..
    he got in his stance and started jumping..
    now i dont have ma experience but ihave gotten in allot of school fights by that time.
    anyway he started kick and punching but i was just running away pretty much then i jsut rushed at him and just pretty much did a haymaker to his jaw he tried to move out the way but there is no way in hell he was gonna do that, guess hed never really gotten in a real fight and he never got rushed at like the way i rushed him.. he fell down, and was wobbly and the guy just ended the fight..
    thats my point... i h

3. Lily

Lily Valued Member

A_Munk3y, do TKD people really wear cushions?? Skrom, what are you getting yourself into?!

I don't even think there is such a thing as a 'str33tfight3r'. More like chavs, dropkicks and other assorted nuts of our society who can get violent.

Ms. Lily's Lesson for the Day: (spanking optional)

Fighting in the school playground does not a streetfighter maketh

4. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I remember a police study posted over on KungfuMagazine.com (cant find the link now, it was years ago) that looked at people assaulted in the street and categorised the 'winner' (my term not theirs).

The findings were (if I remember correctly)

Martial artists with no street experience almost always got beat up in the street, by every other category listed, even by young guys doing a random sports.

On the other hand, Martial Artists who also had street fighting experience almost always won, they 'won' almost as ofton as people who had long criminal records and got into fights as a weekend hobby.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Sounds about right.

Doing MA gives you false confidence, without street experience, you'll have no idea what works or doesnt. For example, Karate focusses on 1 hit strikes. Strikes that drop your opponent in one hit. If thats how you train, and you get into a street fight, your one hit will do bugger all, and you'll be so shocked you wont know what to do. A harsh beating will insue.

Now if you have been in a few brawls in your time, you will learn some lessons and be able to adapt your style around street fighting. Boxers know how to punch, they know how to punch damn hard. They know how to get past people's guards, how to duck a punch and counter punch, and they know how to take a punch. With a few street fights under their belt, they should be able to handle themselves quite nicely, as could all maist.

My first ever street fight was when I was like 7 or 8. A guy across the street picked on me one too many times, so I went out to fight him. We had a good old fashioned brawl and I came out worse off. I remember turning my head away from him (I couldnt see where I was swinging or where I was getting hit from). I did this because I naturally turned away from the threat on my face, I didnt want to get hit in the nose. Obviously, it was stupid. Its random fights like this that you learn from. You dont make the same mistake twice after a seriously painful lesson like that. The next fight I had, I made damn sure I looked where the punches where coming from.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Agreed. People use the term 'streetfighter' as though it was some sort of gang or something. Chances are that everyone has a slightly different definition of what it is.

Lots of people get into fights for lots of different reasons. Many of those fights take place in streets. But what makes some of them 'streetfighters'? Is it it just making a habit of it? Or someone who goes looking for fights?

If someone does an MA but goes looking for fights then are they (a) an MAist, (b) a 'streetfighter', or (c) confused? :confused:

Good lesson!

Can I take the spanking option, please Miss?

;)

7. NaughtyKnight

Street fighters are people that intentionally fight in the streets. They go to the pub, get drunk then go out looking for fights. Its a sport for them.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

:rolleyes:

Dude, is this one of those "My MA PWNZ0r YOU ALL!!!11!" arguments?

"Your fancy white pyjamas won't save you on the street, kid!" etc etc

Yawn

9. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

sigh...in a world of glock 18's, even MMA+FMA+TMA+uber shaolin monk arts become pretty damn useless. Lets bring back the ol' gangs of new york/ fisticuffs era ^^

10. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Yeah - Karate is one hit kill. So we never bother with anything else. In fact, all I do in karate is perfect my chi fireball punch that brings complete pwnage to anyone who masters it.

I wont mention the self defense/restraint class we had last night....

11. NaughtyKnight

Did I say that?

Karate was the style of the original poster, hence why I used Karate as an example. Its annoying when people get all quick to defend their style.

12. Yuske Urameshi

Yuske Urameshi Valued Member

Well, if someone feels their style if being downed, (even if it really isn't) they are gonna defend.

As for my oppinion, just like how no Martial Art is "supperior", neither is one "genre" of fightting is supperior.

Being well rounded would be the best option. A little of each! :D

-Yusuke

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Johnno you better put some TKD cushions on :eek: (Skrom has a set he can lend you).

NK - I only partially agree with your statement. I still would not call an untrained trouble maker a 'street fighter' (it reeks of the 80's, too many B grade movies and too much video games). You're also saying that 'all streetfighters are drunks'. In that case, a well-trained MA'ist could avoid the situation.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  14. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Make mine a G23 w/hollow points. That's where I start (assuming my shotgun isn't within reach), but if all else fails, then it's H2H and the other weapons hidden on my person. ;)

15. NaughtyKnight

So what is a "untrained trouble maker" who fights called?

16. Lily

Lily Valued Member

A criminal

17. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

An idiot.

A fool who gets bounced out of my bar all too easily.

The "Street Fighter" is a myth.

18. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

I agree with MadMonk here< I was a bouncer for years in college and later did bodyguard work. You do have idiots who are adrenalin junkies who do start fights, but thet tend to pick their victims pretty carefully. And in truth, they are just looking for a victim instead of a fight and their greatest weapon is the sucker punch.

19. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Don’t underestimate a sucker punch.

The reason that unexperianced 'Martial Artists' largely get beaten up in the 'street' is that they don’t know they are about to be sucker punched (the guy didn’t even bow!!), when every one around them knew that it was coming 15 minuets ago.

20. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Oh and you got that interesting piece of info from the last census did you liokault :rolleyes:

Madmonk - right on