Martial Art v.s. Martial Sport

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by American HKD, Mar 16, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

that would SUCK!! but if the fan base is big enough, i'm sure adjustments could be made, if they ever did that it wouldn't really be MMA anymore.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

And Olympic TKD isnt TKD, but many people still beg to difer.

3. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

TKD was developed as a Military Art as most MA were.

Modern "sports games" of any kind is the driving force behind the change from Real MA to Sports arts.

I believe the sport aspect is ruining many Trad systems and the new people comming up are not be taught the differences therefore don't understand what's being lost.

4. NaughtyKnight

Martial Arts have been Sports since the dawn of guns. Its just that now, they have been destroyed by stupid rules, all in the name of "safety".

TKD used to be a very powerful sport, it still is when taught properly, but the bad schools far outweigh the good. My mate from Indonesia used to fight full contact in martial arts competitions all over the asian pacific. His style more resembles kick boxing than TKD, as TKD should do. I have made it my goal to learn the art properly and my master is helping me do this.

I hate Olympic TKD. :bang:

5. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

I strive to teach "Original Hapkido", today it's changed and watered down by everyone and thier mother, or jujutsuans call themselves HKD without the knowledge and principles of the system.

All MA were all developed for self defense and combat, I don't know of any started for sport.

Promoters set-up the sport game for the $$$$! There's alway someone who want's to see how tough they are.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  6. NaughtyKnight

I respect your cause.

All martial arts started as military combatives. Many people say that it started with the chinese, but that isnt so. It started with the Ancient Spartans, who introduced boxing, wrestling and mma into the Olympic games, aswell as into their own training systems for war. Martial arts have always gone hand in hand with sporting competition.

I was thinking about what I want martial arts for last night. Thanks to the mellow mood I was in (bottle of jonnie black :D) it helped me think more. I'm doing martial arts, not only for the sporting side, but also for the mental, spiritual and physical conditioning.

7. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

I do MA for many reasons.

1. It makes me feel good
    2. Health
    3. Sport in the sense of exercise
    4. Self defense
    5. Personal developement
    6. Love of the Art itself

I left out sport competition, I did more than my share of competeing in my 20's it's not important to me anymore at age 44. I don't care who tougher than who, I don't watch the UFC etc.

I'm very into being a coach passing on the system to the next generation, etc.

8. NaughtyKnight

When I have finished with either the army or the SWAT, whichever will have me, and when I have trained long and hard enough, I would like to open my own school and teach fighting. I remember when I was young (5-6) and very scared. If I had had some ma training I might of been more confidence and wouldnt of felt the need to prove myself on the street for 13years. Im glad I found ma, it gives me a structured outlet for my aggression and everyone benefits from it. I have been in alot fewer fights after ma and im actually relieved to know that I dont need to have to go out every weekend looking for fights. That, in my opinion is my fav part about ma.

9. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings

Your right once you know you have skills there's very little reason to ever use them.

You have aquired the confidence that you were missing before MA.