Martial Art v.s. Martial Sport

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by American HKD, Mar 16, 2005.

1. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Always nice to see traditional hapkidoists opening their minds to combat hapkido.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Well he is wrong. Unless you have actually competed then you dont know what its like. Its still fighting, just different ruleset. Obviously its nothing compated to the likes of k1 or UFC, but I'll leave it up to the dominant mmaist init. ;)

3. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Dear SD,

You are welcome to come to my school for a class, we are Traditional Sin Moo and KHF Hapkido.

I'd like to check out your Hapkido, also you might learn something new, who knows?

4. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

1) I do not think I know everything. Why would I even be training if I thought I knew everything?

2) Maybe the 'kids' have a point. Adults judge young people and pour prejudice and condemnation on them when they have no idea what it is like to be a teenagers any more, they have forgotten. For example, one stereotype of young people is having rage against the establishment, and they are dismissed when the criticise it. But actually they do have a valid point. The 'system' seems to criminalise young people just for being young people - look at Ireland where Billy Kelleher is pushing to introduce curfews on ALL under16s to 'reduce crime'. Regardless of whether they are actually causing trouble.

3)No, they have not been there, done that and moved on. My life is exactly that, my own personal life, not an automated process that everyone goes through.

So please have some respect for young people instead of insisting that we are inferior and lesser no matter what.

So that's why younger MA'ists are supposed to respect the old farts, because they have an inferiority complex about their abilities :D:D:D:D:D

5. Spikedude

Spikedude Valued Member

Thank you very much for the invite, sadly im on injury at this time but in a month or so, but sooner then later sounds like a good plan.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well, that was just my opinion on point fighting if you were using it for its competitive outlet, but thats just my opinion. if you think i'm wrong, thats your opinion, i remember you and i discussing background and i know that with the background you listed {weather or not its true is another matter entierly} you would be more than capable, why didn't you post it in your bio? also, if you are offended by my opinion, feel free to take me up on one of the 2 options i listed.

7. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

Yeah i've seen some really nasty TKD full-contact clips, and trust me they could hit damn hard. Nearly all the fights I saw of this skinhead guy (the current full-contact champ I think?) were KO's. he was a good fighter.

8. American HKD

American HKD New Member

When ever the invite stands, you can even come and we'll do easy stuff.

9. American HKD

American HKD New Member

I'm not talking about YOU specifically I'm speaking generally.

Stop being SO sensitive!!!

BTW Your answer is just what a kid would say ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  10. Spikedude

Spikedude Valued Member

Will do as soon as possible, I just have a Staff infection so i dont want to get any of your students or yourself the same.

11. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Speedy recovery that's a bad infections.

12. NaughtyKnight

Relax man, I wasnt offended, just telling you that tkd is more than just kicking a dot. Thats the Olympics, we fight full contact without thoes stupid pads at my school.

Whats this about you doubting my martial arts?

Because I havent trained in thoes arts individually. They are parts of the overal JKD style that I learn.

13. shotokanwarrior

Nice tactic. Doesn't matter what I say or whether I have a point, you can rebut it by saying 'You would say that. Predictable.' I believe you already used it in this thread when you said that people would probably refute you, but that would just show that you were right and that they were immature.

I like it. I think I'll go off to a social venue and spout the sickest piece of racist doctrine I can lay my hands on, then when people object, tell them 'That's exactly the answer I'd expect from you. Your reaction just proves I'm right.'

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

then your school get props for not being generic and useless.

oh, i remember you posting all those styles and i was like WOW. but i guess i read it wrong if that was cirriculum as opposed to individual training.

I freaking HATE the olympic stuff. I don't understand why MMA isn't an olympic sport yet. but i am certain it will be eventually. TKD, judo and boxing are. i don't see why MMA isn't i should contact sombody about this and do one of shotokans anger letters that will never get through! :D

15. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings

Relax I said I was joking.

Your opinions are always right KID!

I'm sorry couldn't resist :D

16. NaughtyKnight

If MMA was ever in the Olympics, they would water the crap out of it, thats what they did to TKD. In fact I hope that MMA is never in the olympics, would destroy the art.

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

it used to be- pankration was basically mma. but yes I would hate to see it re introduced because lets face it, for a sport to be in the olympics it has to be look nice and clean. hence the lame points method used in olympic boxing and tkd, and the horrible ruleset for judo.

18. NaughtyKnight

Pankration was the sport of all sports to the greeks, that how they proved that they were men. Nowerdays, sport is supposed to be safe and watered down. Pretty boring I think, but I would like nothing more that to go back in time to the greeks and watch a few gladitorial games. :D

19. shotokanwarrior

No hard feelings then, American HKD.

Good Lord, I thought we'd never hash that out.

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

WATCH, HA, i'd love nothing more than to COMPETE in a few gladatorial games!!!! oh, that would be a dream come true. provided i could get a set of bracers and a pair of Sai that is. or a pair of gladius.

Sometimes i think i was born in the wrong time period!!!