Martial Art v.s. Martial Sport

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by American HKD, Mar 16, 2005.

1. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello Tekkengod,

I have read many of your other posts and seen your point. This post is not the same. Sorry to say, but this post shows a level of arrogance and ignorance that I feel is below you. Your other stuff never showed such distastful referneces to people with whom you had trained. Bad form here.

I have had my share of bad instructors , and crazy ones, but to say I could beat them up - pure stupidity. Could someone "out-spar" me? I dare say yes, I don't play fight and tap punch and slap kick - but this hardly addresses what I would do in a real confrontation - as what your instructors might likewise do.

Here is what I feel is the pitfall of martial sports - people assume that in a ring, with guidlines, they are fighting (not saying this of you tekken - don't know you) - but nothing could be further from the truth. When I train with my senior students (some of 15 years +) we train in "attack - defend" mode - someone attacks, the other defends - no script, no rehearsal - unfortunatley lots of pain.

Frankly, I train so I don't have to fight. I have no need to increase my aggression with simulated fights more than the training that I do.

If martial sports means thinking somehow that you can "whoop" your instructor - I'll be glad when the fad ends.

2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

that is true, there is much wisdom through experiance. pro-ball coaches are a good example. and i said, he'd been training longer than i'd been alive, just not in a way that i was comfortable with. i do not train with him anymore and my lack of respect fir him is one of the reasons i no longer do so. i want to respect and admire the people i train with, and with him it was not the case and he too did not repect my ability as a fighter and as a grappler, that is his mistake and his loss.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

hi there. glad to see you seem to think highly of me :D. this post is not the same, you are correct, but in this instance, i am speakin on a diffrent topic, in prior posts, i was talking about martial sports and martial arts, here i am directly talking about the people i was unfortunate enough to train with, i haven't done much of that before, so it might look like i'm all negative, but i'm just telling the truth. when i say i can "beat" my TKD instructor, i was mainly reffering to martialmans post in reguards to age, but when i say "beat" i mean it in the most literal sense of the word. in an MMA match, in an MT match, in a one on one in an alley. he just didn't posses enough of the qualites or the thinking process to be successful on top of not knowing the basics of a real fight and lacking the proper knowladge and technique to do so. he truly and honestly lived in a fantasy world. in his eyes "pad fighting" or "hitting the red dot" as i like to call it {point sparring} was "hardcore" and realistic, and when i'd do a lock or grapple or an "illegal" strike he was almost offended personally, granted i only did it once or twice to prove a point. and when i approached him a few days before i quit and asked him to fight in an MMA style match or at the very least grapple with me he denied it, and on many ocassions when i'd demonstrate a technique that was obviously easier and more efficent than the one hed shown us hed say "no! grappling no good!!" which was when i just decided this man was a total idiot and left. he trained in a very unrealistic manner with a mindset that simply cannot be applied to MMA or a "street" {tm} fight. he had the gual to market olympic TKD as an actual self-defense class, surely you can see why that is a bold-faced lie and a vast overstatement. i like your "attack and Defend" meathod, i did alot of that when i was at my jujitsu school, only he reffered to it as "real time training" as for the sport "fad" i think its alot more than a "fad" much of what sport fighting has done has revolutionized fighting and MA in general. events such as the UFC and pride do us a great service in the sense that MMA provides an open to all area with realistic training which provides pressure testing and realistic competition for us to truly test our skills. many people such as your self scream "simulation" or "but there are rules" well that may be true but MMA and the UFC are the closest we can get while maintaining a degree of safety. which is nessecary. sport fighing is much more than a fad and encompases more than just MMA, you've got MT, K-1 freestyle greco and things of that nature. weather the TMAists like it or not. sport fighting has done a wonderful thing and its here to stay. -tekkengod-

4. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Where are you getting this information about my experience?

5. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello Tekkengod,

Thank you for your expansion of your post. Glad to see most of what you said was tongue in cheek, so to speak. You seem to have a good direction in what you would like your training to be, good job for making that decision.

Continued progress and personal growth in your training. :)

6. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

It's NOT about you personally, I have no crystal ball.

It's kind of like when a grown man hears kids & teens talking about stuff, the teens think they know everything and the adults are out of touch!

The adults are rolling thier eyes at the kids. Why because the adults have already been there done that and moved on.

People are always the same and the cycle of young to old has been going on since the cave man.

It's all about ones persective!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

That's a sack of bull crap. That even goes against the argument you have been trying to make.

8. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Dear Scarlet Mist,

I agree, but please watch the way you say that, be respectfull

Thank You

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

isn't that pleasent? no, losing is a sack of bull crap, maybe you haven't been listening to my argument, tell me scarlet, what is it you think i was arguing and how that dosen't fall in line or accompany a strong will to win?

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thankyou very much :D.
    same to you. improvement and evolution are wonderful things.

11. Spikedude

Spikedude Valued Member

Dear American HKD,

I am actually two months away from getting my Blackbelt in Tang Soo Do and Hapkido. For which I have been training for ten solid years. Why not the others you may ask? Well my best friend is a world champion in BJJ and We train each other reguarly and plan to open a school in the future. The Judo, kung fu, and capoeria training is by many visits from my master's friends. for proff I will add the links as soon as I find them. Thank you

P.S. "Spikedude of Academy of 7 Martial Arts" dont know if sarcasm or joke but either way nice touch

12. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Dear SD

How about the "Seven Fisted System" sounds very Kung Fu-ish? :)

Who's your HKD teacher and what style and Assoc. does he belong to?

13. Scarlet Mist

You made two obviously misguided statements. 1) Wining is everything
    2) Winning should be the major force in directing your martial arts training

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but you state it as if it were fact.

If winning is everything, do you gain anything by training hard and losing? Obviously you do. Do you gain anything by not training hard and winning? A prize, probably.

Those red dot, point sparring cats you criticize so much, they care very much about winning, which is why they train to hit the red dot and not to be hard like bull. You say red dot sparring sucks, but they win in their circles, so it must be cool. Yeah?

Not to mention that obviously you WILL lose unless you are the best in the world for the entire duration of your competive career. Also, everyone can't win, someone must lose. If you are motivated only by the desire to win, and you teach other people that, you are doing worse to them than someone who advocates red dot fighting as a viable means of training self defense.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

1) winning should be a driving force in martial sports. {you don't train for 3 months straight everyday with the intention of getting bowed in the face do you? no, you train to bow the other guy in the face first} there is much to be learned in a loss, i know that first hand. but you have to understand, in true athletes, failure is all to bitter to swallow, we train so that we do not taste it again. i know everyone has to lose eventually, its part of life. by winning the "prize" you get is recognition, enjoyment, fulfillment, and victory, if you've ever fought a hard match and won, you'd know how sweet victory is. there is a differance between being motivated to win and being motivated to be the best or one of the best. thats simple enough isn't it. Red dot fighting serves no purpose other than to be a means of competition for those who dont' have the balls to go the extra mile and do full contact. in my eyes, its a "combat-sport" for the quitters. bash and yell and scream all you want to, thats my opinion, if anyone is truly offended, heres 2 options. 1) come down here and prove me wrong. 2} fight a full contact MMA or MT match, win. post the results and prove me wrong. i'm not saying that point fighters can't fight either one, cause i know how prevelant cross training is, i just don't believe in half assed effort and i don't celebrate mediocraty. i don't tell would be fighters "winning is everything" i tell them "sweat more, bleed less" and "fight to win" meaning fight with heart. and even if i did, i don't see how that would be more harmful than promoting point fighting as self defense.

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Whats all this about winning is not everyting in sport? Thats the whole point of competing. Sure you learn more from losing, but your main drive in the end is to be the best.

As I said before, martial arts and martial sports is the same thing in my opinon. Wether you train for the sparing or for some other reason, its all sport. Unless you are learning martial arts for the military, its always going to be sport. The self defence side is purely a bi-product. If you are learning martial arts for the military, its called military combatives now, not martial arts, so there is no "real" martial arts/sport discussion, its one and the same thing.

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thats my point!!! all of these people who lack adrenal glands, testosterone and a competitive edge, stick with red dot fighting and cricket!! :woo:

17. Scarlet Mist

I think red dot fighting is for people who don't want to fight in a hard contact tournament. I know some really hard people who do TKD red dot fighting.

I've won competitions and I've lost them, in some cases, you gain more from losing than winning. For the sake of martial ARTS (not the sport), winning is of no consequence, it's the training you put into the competition that matters. A self motivated person does not need competition to inspire them to train hard, even if they may welcome it.

18. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Mate, if your training to be the best, then your not training hard enough.

I do TKD, and im a hard person. ;)

19. Scarlet Mist

So is there something better than being the best?

According to Tekkengod, TKD or point fighting is for people who don't have the balls to step into an ring.

20. Spikedude

Spikedude Valued Member

lol....I like the name, my Instructor is Buzz Minagin for world karate studios, I study mostly Sin Moo but we also use some combat hapkido as well. I didnt even know you were in south jersey as well. about the name though how bout We got seven ways do.