Martial Art v.s. Martial Sport

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by American HKD, Mar 16, 2005.

1. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Nice, I think you left out your rank & in what, Also your age.

Martial Arts Style:
    Jujitsu - Tai Chi - Shotokan - Muay Thai
    Biography:
    I've been at it for 6 years, and i love every minute of it. all and any info is absorbed. I'm a real UFC wannabe. i love being the underdog.

In 6 years have you a black belt or equivilent in any of these Arts. Or are you still a Kyu grade?

Won any championships in competition amature or pro?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  2. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

A mountain of credential are not needed but One Respectable Will Do!

Why is it people with NO CREDENTIALS are usually the ones who claim you don't need them?

While I'll agree some people are very good without credentials, they're few and far between and are the exception not the norm! I'm sure most of you are not the exceptions.

My comments are not directed to anyone, however "if the shoe fits wear it".

3. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

I started this tread to have a good discussion, we quickly realized the people here could'nt handle anything other than thier own opinions backed up by limited, age and credentials.

Many have no respect or maturity (not age), little knowledge, little insight into anything but tell us all that training with resistance is all that matters and thier sport ring full of rules.

These guys don't have over all expirience, time in any sytems to make any points, so they all gang up on you with childish rants and baseless comments.

To top it they tell you, you dont know what your talking about.

Kevin I calling on all of them to show us thier credentials and accomplishments. They either got to put thier wares or stop act like Keyboard Masters cause real Masters thier not!

4. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello Stuart,

OK, I understand. Let's just get on with the discussion - I KNOW you have stuff to add other than the back and forth banter... :)

Does part of your training approach involve continued learning of technique all the way through the dan levels? When does "new technique" stop for you - as an add on question?

5. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Kevin,

I respect what your trying to do so Ok, you have my respect.

For anyone else wanting to have a quality discussion I'm willing to do so with you.

I'm not sure what you mean can you re-phrase

6. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Dear Mr. Spikedude,

What will you call your schools the "Spikedude of Academy of 7 Martial Arts" .

I see you trained in 7 systems so far at 19 years old.

Martial Arts Style:
    Tang soo do, Hapikido, Grapling, Capoeria, Muay Thai, kung fu, and some judo

Are you a certified black belt & instructor in all these systems, if so please list your actual certificates or credentials because maybe I'm not giving you the proper respect.

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

So he needs to have grades and certificates before you respect him?

Many systems do not use belts and certificates and the like, they just train (and compete, possibly).

I believe people like you who are hung up on certificates have gotten trapped in the politics that make training in MA so frustrating at times. It's sad, really.

And I wholeheartedly concur with Spikedude's sentiments and those of the cat he quoted.

8. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

I don't think you read the whole thread to what what led up to this.

After more than 25 year learning one art, I'd paid my dues no politics involved.

Many of the people here have no respect and also many claim you have to earn thier respect!

How can you earn respect here when people of limited backgrounds don't give the common courtesy and respect to seniors or anyone from the start???

The only respect I will give to certain people posting here is some sort of proof of accomplishment be it a Dan rank, sash, any type of grade as proof of some level of something other than mastering the MA keyboard.

When people realize respect is a two way street right from the start things will be better.

BTW I see you have little posted about yourself, rank, age, why not?
    Kali has rank, Choy li fut has rank. so does HKD, TSD, Caperioa, Muay Thai ?

No politics what's your personal accomplishements, I would love to see you worked real hard and achieved some respectable level in the Arts?

Are you a Black Sash, A Guru in Escrima or what other form of recognition do you have from your teachers?

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

actually there is no ranking in muay thai. some schools divide students into beginner or advanced but there is no belts except in the ring. and i am not sure about ranks in capoeira either. besides, who cares what belt you have, i care about how much someone knows. if you cut people off just because they dont have a rank, its going to be your loss.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I'm a Black Belt in Jujitsu. i only briefly did Tai-chi. i just started shotokan and MT a few weeks ago. I'm 16 years old. I've won a few amature Jujitsu tournaments and i plan on competing in MT as soon as the opportunity arises.

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

for once scarlet is right, Randy Couture has credentials, but he dosen't advertise them. does that mean you don't respect him or his abilites?

12. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Thank You,

The truth is you have been one of the more respectful people here, Keep it Up! :)

What style of JJ do you do?

I did shotokan for 3 months before I started HKD, it's a nice Karate system, why did you pick Shotokan?

13. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

Now we're getting some where.

I never came on this forum saying I'm this or that..

Peoples blatent disregard for common coutesy and respect led me down this road. Of course I respect Randy.

Don't mis the point of all my posts, its about equal respect for all from the start, no name calling and acting superior etc.

I don't give a rats behind what belt anyone is, but it's nice just to post your acturate credentials in your profile.

Lets grow up here men!

14. Keljian

Keljian New Member

Mister Rosenburg,

I understand the time you've spent dedicated to your art. For me, I use the innocent till proven guilty theory of respect. That is, I respect a person a moderate amount until they give me due cause to give them more or less respect depending on their actions. Thus I judge them on their own merits.

In regards to my history, I've already posted a thread on such here:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29903

So you could say I have trained for 3 years with a 12 month break in there due to injury. I'm 3rd kyu for reference (in Yoshinkan Aikido).

But respect itself is not anything to with grades in martial arts, I daresay my(brown) belt is nothing but something to keep my gi from coming open. I train to train, my belt, or my grade does not mean much to me. Sure it's a rough guage of achievement, but there is much scope for flexibility in the grade, there are some who are better than me at 3rd kyu, and some who are worse. I daresay some who are worse than me at 1st dan, and many who are better.

I should say I have the same respect for those who are 10th kyu on the mats and those who are 6th dan as they all are here to train and are all doing their best. Sensei is a teacher/instructor, he is no better or worse as a person. I respect him both as a teacher and as a person regardless.

I will not simply grovel because I am where I am in life, that's demeaning of me and doesn't credit my true worth. There is more to my life than Aikido, there is more to my life than MA, and there is more to me as a person than either aswell. This is not "self love" as someone else put it, this is being respectful of myself.

I wish you well

R.

15. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Mister Rosenburg,

I understand the time you've spent dedicated to your art. For me, I use the innocent till proven guilty theory of respect. That is, I respect a person a moderate amount until they give me due cause to give them more or less respect depending on their actions. Thus I judge them on their own merits.

I agree

In regards to my history, I've already posted a thread on such here:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29903

So you could say I have trained for 3 years with a 12 month break in there due to injury. I'm 3rd kyu for reference (in Yoshinkan Aikido).

But respect itself is not anything to with grades in martial arts, I daresay my(brown) belt is nothing but something to keep my gi from coming open. I train to train, my belt, or my grade does not mean much to me. Sure it's a rough guage of achievement, but there is much scope for flexibility in the grade, there are some who are better than me at 3rd kyu, and some who are worse. I daresay some who are worse than me at 1st dan, and many who are better.

I agree

I should say I have the same respect for those who are 10th kyu on the mats and those who are 6th dan as they all are here to train and are all doing their best. Sensei is a teacher/instructor, he is no better or worse as a person. I respect him both as a teacher and as a person regardless.

I agree

I will not simply grovel because I am where I am in life, that's demeaning of me and doesn't credit my true worth. There is more to my life than Aikido, there is more to my life than MA, and there is more to me as a person than either aswell. This is not "self love" as someone else put it, this is being respectful of myself.

Now were talking

This thread went down hill so fast into major BS and lack of courtesy.

I don't care about belts, training is more important, but courtesy and respect in the Arts is even more important.

We went down this long road of all the BS just to get to the points I was making early on in this thread, but no one wanted to hear it and kept acting like asses.

I have no hard feeling towards you.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I did Waboku jujitsu.

i've heard nice things about Shotokan, and so far the classes are holding up. i choose shotokan because it and MT are teh only things around here that aren't TKD, granted had other opportunities been available, i would more than likely have choosen the it anyway.

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

ok thats the answer i was looking for.

18. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

No I don't care about rank read my last few posts.

I trained at a Kali school that had Capoeira and they had belt ranks or more acturately rope ranks because they wore some kind of training pants and a colored rope belt.

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

wow, i'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. i know i use the UFC as alot of examples, but i think that usually best illustrates my point.

Rhetorical Question:
    what is more important?
    A) That Randy Couture is a respectful, well mannered fighter who congragulates his opponents and wishes them the best in their future, even after very clearly beating them.

or.

B) That he can beat the hell out of his opponents.

i don' need to answer this for you :rolleyes: ........

20. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

The UFC is a sport and Randy is very sportsman like.

In the street he might not thank them so fast.

However in HKD, Ji Han Jae teaches us don't break someones arm if you don't have to. Why make a life long enemy out of another man, ruin his ability or use od a limb for life, if you can control the situation and let him go you might change the person.

You never know?