Martial Art Pretenders: A History of Imitators and Snake Oil

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GSHAMBROOKE, Jan 13, 2015.

1. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

The Seagal & LeBell part was hilarious!

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

pretty funny article. but also, while trying to point out the frauds, still uncritically passes on mythology of "martial arts".

there is nothing inherently more honorable about "martial arts" than any other human endeavor. you could just as easily say that one's "career" is about honor and lying on your resume is an "unforgivable sin"--well, it is.

to me this is one of the problems with "martial arts". there's this mythology out there, that comes from a variety of fictional sources, that somehow training is something more than what it is--in essence, a gym membership. and you can learn a lot from a gym membership: discipline, loyalty, hard work, tenacity. at the end of the day, it's still just a gym membership.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Says you.

I'm a real life power ranger.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

1:10 scale obviously

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I completely agree.

But -- looking at it another way, getting choked out by Gene LeBell is like getting submitted by Rickson Gracie, or knocked out by Mike Tyson, or the like. I'm a UFC fan so I think of GSP, Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, etc. We don't make fun of the guys these champions beat because, "LOL, Gracie/Tyson/etc beat you!"

I'm not saying that Seagal isn't an ass off the mat, and I'm not saying that he wasn't choked out by Gene LeBell. I'm just saying that getting choked out by LeBell is not a reason to make fun of him ... though it can be an amusing story.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

actually getting choked out by lebell because you believe that you can use a magic technique to escape an RNC (nut elbowing) is something to be laughed at.

not acknowledging the limitations of your skill set and being abnoxious about your limited skill set is absolutely something to laugh at.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

[​IMG]

9. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Is that drawn to scale or actual size?

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I always get a sad chuckle out of Dillman's stuff. The fact that people believe his song and dance makes me question whether oversized grey matter is worth the price of being human if people won't use it!

11. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

I watched the Dillman video today just to cheer myself up really!

I'm not one to slag off other martial arts styles and in karate I am sure he is very good at what he does but as for a no punch knockout or throwing chi balls I just find it implausible...

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'll mess you up!

[​IMG]

13. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Implausible is the strongest word you would use lol

The whole thing is 100% impossible and it's not like people havnt tried to prove it but you can't prove what ain't there.

14. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I'm not a power ranger but I play one on TV!

Wait a sec...

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

One of the linked articles commented about Steven Seagal getting cheesed off being like him getting Cheeto dust on someone. I laughed. :D

I have to say though I'm strangely surprised at the MMA frauds. Ridiculous as it sounds, it's like I expected the fraudsters to solely focus on arts where they could claim centuries of "teh str33t l3th4lz!" tradition and so forth.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Only if you're talking about defrauding people with hocus pocus.

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

MMA is mainstream now. Expect cardio MMA, little dragons MMA and non-contact MMA to be imminent.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

And not forgetting XMMA!

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

So...tricking battles then?

...So...Capoeira? :p

I was hoping you were joking. I just managed to google up a group that offers non-contact boxing & MMA training, cardio MMA videos that make you want to cry and yes, little dragons MMA for kids.

*shudder*

Now all we need is MMA done in an alternative dance form for the theatre.

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Tricking - Capoeira for people with no sense of rhythm or style! :p