Martial Art for weightlessness/ Calling alll space cadets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Oldmike, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

While watching a documentry on the International Space station I got to wondering how any of our usual martial arts would work in weightless conditions.

I imagine a kick would tend to make the kicker spin unless he hit his opponent in which case both fighters would bounce around like pool balls.. Same with a punch. Grappling might work but judo not so much since gravity isn't there to assist your throws.

Fma? same issue with Newton's Third law of Motion.

Karate/ TKD style chambered punch? You'd spin in the directionof the punch unles your retracting arm perfectly balanced the force of your punch.

if we get an handle on this, we could set up and asronout martial arts program :)

Any thoughts? Frivolous replies welcome.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

BJJ for the win.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

We need monkeys. Lots of monkeys.

4. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

......................oh dear.

In this case BJJ actually does seem to be... what do they say? "T3h R34l D34Dly"?

Although I wonder how a "chi master"s chi balls would react in 0 gravity...
    Guess it depends on the type of fishing line used...

5. Osu,

Interesting question and it is funny to think about it.

Grounded arts would have problems Karate, boxing, etc...
    Grappling in zero gravity changes the problem entirely, probably making defense easier.
    TaeKwonDo might work with aerial techniques.
    TaiChi, with their slow movements, would be at an advantage... or at least in control of themselves...

I guess the winner would be Aikido

Osu!

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

You wont find me getting in to a fight on my next space walk

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Dude, I'll be pulling off all the moves that my too-friendly-to-gravity body cant do on Earth.

Street Fighter style Hurricane Kicks
    A REAL Superman punch!
    Raiden style torpedo attack!
    Wong Fei Hung (Jet Li version) Fut-san-mo-ying-guerk! No Shadow Kick!

8. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

Hum, not to mention the slo mo Matrix style hang in the air thing:)

Oh yes instead of the octagon would they have a round cage? Call it the polydecahedron?

Seriously though (in as much as this thread is serious) you have the whole rotational thing. For example in zero g, they can't use a standard screwdriver. You attempt to turn the screw but you rotate instead. A straight punch would send you back ward. A cross punch or a round house kick would start you spinning. Maybe you could brace yourself against a wall and spring at your opponent?

I'm betting that some of the wilder bramches of NASA or the NSA have actually looked into this stuff.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

And lots of velcro.

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i imagine me tryin to give a oi zuki and me go flyin backward...........

11. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Judo! Hahaha

12. ember

ember Valued Member

They use standard wrenches inside the vehicle. I don't see why they couldn't use a standard screwdriver inside. However, inside there are a lot more handholds/footholds/bracepoints. Outside, the suits are bulky, workstations are harder, and they're usually using power tools.

Not NASA to my knowledge. NASA's goals are peaceful. Military, I don't know.

13. ember

ember Valued Member

Re: the OP:

Capoeira, perhaps? For external MA's, definitely the acrobatic types. Internal MA's, might not be a problem...

14. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I'd imagine any type of grappling art would work best or at least similar to how it does normally.

15. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

Aikido!