Marijuana the cure for tobacco?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Obewan, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

2. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

I agree that pot shouldn't be overindulged in teenagers, the same as alcohol shouldn't; but they're going to do it anyway. Personally I'd rather my kid smoke pot in high school rather than cigarettes if I had to choose. If they treated it like alcohol and only did it at the occasional party, I'd be fine with it. If they smoked every night I wouldn't allow it, the same way I'd react if they were drinking booze. Either way, they can grow out of smoking pot; cigarettes--as we know--are much harder to stop. I'd rather my kid risk a poor memory than cancer, but I guess that goes without saying.

3. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Though the article didn't cover this, actually pot is known to suppress the urge for nicotine in someone trying to quit smoking. It's a viable stop smoking aid.

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

That I didn't know. The problem I see with using it to stop smoking (I know that wasn't the point of the article) is the risk of weight gain. Again I think the education dept. should teach healthy habits along with other life skills. Instead of trying to make everyone a rocket scientist, we should be educating the basics of human existence, and engage the students to make their own decisions on academia.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's not like his lungs are going to come out in top form if he choose smoking dope over smoking cigarettes. Pretty much either way it's a superheated gas that's sucked into the lung and damages the pulmonary alveoli. Cannabis smoke actually contains higher concentrations PAHs's (carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) than does tobacco smoke - combine that with the longer hold on a deep inhale of a bong or a joint and you hardly have something that is great for the lungs. If you're really worried about cancer and your kid.... smoking pot isn't really a great place to take it. It wouldn't have to be pot or cigarettes to cause problems... he smoke hay or any other substance and the combination of heat and chemicals where they're not supposed to be will pretty much cause problems at some point.

Not preaching don't smoke pot/smoke pot... but rather addressing the common misconception that smoking dope doesn't have a risk factor for the lungs when it clearly does.

As an example:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

People I knew in high school that smoked tobacco, HAD to have a cigarette after they smoked pot..I dunno why..

7. slipthejab

here's another one that chips away at the 'it's natural' argument for dope smokers.

8. slipthejab

Yeah that's often case. Though oddly enough the chronic bong-heads that I grew around... didn't smoke cigarettes. Though perhaps there was only so much room in the lungs for smoke so they figured it might as well be dope smoke over tobacco smoke.

9. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I wonder if consumption of marijuana would have the same effect on suppressing nicotine urges or if the Smoke is what does it. I'd say consumption is a safer option.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Most mary-jane I've smo...erm...seen other people smoke has been mixed in with some regular backy anyway.
    Let's face it...the inhalation of the smoke from ANY burning substance is rarely, if ever, going to be good for you.

11. John R. Gambit

How embarrassing, I looked it up and it was opiate addiction it helps curve, not nicotine. My bad. In my defense, I've been incredibly sick and running fevers, so I'm hardly myself right now. And it was injected THC, not smoked or consumed.

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

You mean you were stoned.

It's OK, we understand. ;)

13. John R. Gambit

That too.

14. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Yeah, I may have read that somewhere too;)

15. PlatinumPi4u

PlatinumPi4u Valued Member

My doctor recommends this and I have had success with it.

My use of the computer every day (and night - oh God help me) tends to agitate my arm.

About 20 to 25 years ago, I had broken my thumb (large brick tumbled onto it) and sprained my wrist (forgot how) and broke my arm (radius), all within a short time frame of about 3 or 4 years, on my right arm.

After being on the keyboard for 20+years sometimes it begins to take a toll. My mouse hand has huge mouse / wrist muscles compared to my non-mouse hand. Squeeze your mouse wrist with your other hand, and wiggle your mouse hand's fingers - you can feel a difference on both wrists if you use the computer alot.

If you can swing it, I 'highly' recommend getting a doctor's recommendation for this. I sleep like a baby every night.

edit: never smoked a cig or taken a hit off a cig...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I've told you before about those sort of websites.....

17. PlatinumPi4u

PlatinumPi4u Valued Member