Maphilindo Silat Questions

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Ashton, Aug 22, 2005.

1. tellner

tellner Valued Member

At its best the JKD approach gives you tools to analyze and incorporate or modify new things quickly and logically. At its worst it devolves into flavor of the week and throws together a grab-bag of unrelated techniques advertised as "the best of the best without all that unecessary fluff" but lacking depth. Which extreme the local teacher follows is a function of his personality and training.

When my wife and I were in the JKD clan we saw a fair amount of Maphilindo Silat. Mostly we couldn't make it work. The training methods and background that made it effective didn't come across in a seminar setting. Keep that in mind as you check out the class and you should do fine.

2. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. The Maphilindo class I recently found out about is run by a Sayoc Kali training group near where I live. I didn't know about the Maphilindo class until quite recently. I sent them an e-mail but haven't received a reply yet.

One other quick question from the Silat newbie: the other Silat systems that I've been looking at incorporate weapons training----what does Maphilindo incorporate as far as weapons training?

3. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

Marcusknight,
    That would gnerally be Lacoste -Inosanto Kali for the weapons. I used to study Maphilindo silat way back when, and still enjoy it.

4. Dr. Heineken

Dr. Heineken New Member

Great day to all!

Selamat,
    My name is Christopher Gielen and I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. It sounds like you've been busy! Lots of interesting posts, and what a great article! Congratulations.
    Hey Mike, Joe, Buddy, Bobbe...hope all is well!

Christopher

"...Bob Vanatta, who claims to have learned Serak, yet really learned only Tongkat." :bang:

5. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Hey Chris, good to see you. Still cooking?

6. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

Hey Chris,
    Good to see you around!

7. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

And... "Dr. Heineken" is Bahasa for which martial art, exactly? Welcome back to the Internet, where all things are possible.

8. jeff5

jeff5 Valued Member

I have a question. Does anyone know if there are set Sambuts or Djurus in Maphilindo? I'm wondering if Guru Dan, or the folks at his school, teach their stuff in set progressions.

9. Dr. Heineken

Dr. Heineken New Member

"Dr. Heineken" is my earned rank in the art of Jack Fu. The power lies within the green bottles!

Still cookin, and coaching waterpolo. That takes up most of my time, but gettin some training in every now and then!

Christopher