Maphilindo Silat Questions

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Ashton, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Ashton

Ashton Valued Member

Hello All,

I've long been interested in the Indonesian arts ever since reading Bob Orlando's "Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals" book. I have the opportunity to train with a local group that teaches Maphilindo Silat. I've done searches on the web & seem to keep coming up with the same material over and over again (namely that it is Dan Inosanto's personal style, that it is drawn from Malaysia, the Phillipines, Indonesia etc).

I'm looking for information on the various component arts of Maphilindo Silat---in other words, what Silat styles does it emcompass. What are the principles, techniques that I might be learning? What makes it unique among Silat styles?

I was also told that there was some Kuntao inherent in Maphilindo & was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of Kuntao that might be & how it influences the Maphilindo system.

It seems to me that Sialt would likely complement all the FMA I'm doing. I know I'm asking for a lot of info here, but I can't seem to find much elsewhere and I haven't had a chance to discuss it in depth with the local teacher. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ashton

2. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

>>

As far as I could tell when I studied it and when it was being taught to me.......

Buktinegara, Serak, Mande Muda, Bersilat, Muay Thai, Empty Hand Kali Dumog, Pangamut & Panatuken

3. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

I also remember doing elements of Harimau, Kari and Sha Bandar, but maybe those arts are included in Mande Muda. Any Mande Muda pesilat care to correct me?
    I believe there are silat groups in southern Thailand that mix Muay Thai into their arts,anyone care to comment. At one point Guru Dan mentioned he was leaning more towards Thai style entries rather than Kali entries.
    Guro John Lacoste reportedly learned silat from 3 Filipino tribes in Mindanao, and from there comes some of the Filipinio style silat.
    Nowadays I think there would be a heavier inclusion of Serak. At least when I saw Guru Dan Inosanto in Las Vegas this past June he was doing that.
    Hasn't the name been changed to Majapahit Martial Arts? I seem to recall some other organization using the name prior to Guru Dan's usage, so he changed it.
    Hormat,
    Mas Serakmurid

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  4. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Those are taught in Mande Muda along with Cimande, Sera and pamonyet, Macan. Mande Muda teaches all these things seperatly and completely. Guru Dan is doing a more of "Blend" of the silats with Thai Boxing.

5. Silk Road

Silk Road New Member

Guru Dan, aside from being a phenomenal teacher and practitioner, has a broad understanding of many martial arts - silat included. Plus, he is always happy to recommend a teacher, should you choose to specialize in a particular art.

He can give you a solid foundation in concepts from several silat styles, and then if you want to take it further, he'll direct you to a good source.

Good Luck,
    Silkroad

6. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

Bersilat?

Peace to all,

Dear Silatyogi,

Bersilat means 'to do silat'. For example, 'Rahim sedang bersilat di halaman rumah.' Meaning 'Rahim is doing/practicing silat in the courtyard.'

I think what you are trying to convey here is 'Malaysian Silat'.

My question is which Malaysian Silat style was blended in the Maphilindo/Majapahit silat?

Thanks in advance.
    Peace

7. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Yes you are right. Guru Dan however called it Bersilat. I think one of his silat teachers was a Seni Gayong player. I am not sure I remember Guru Cass Magda telling me Guru Dan had studied Seni Gayong as well as other styles of silat. He studied with the late pak Herman Suwanda, Pendekar Paul Dethouars & his brothers, Guru Steven Plinck, Eddie Jaffri, Juanito Lacoste, John Dejong, Rudy Tinderlin, James Ingram. There are probably more that who taught him that most of us are not aware of. I am sure he is still researching his Silat. I know Guru Cliff Stewart braught Pendekar Steven Benitez to the Inosanto Academy. I am sure Wali Songo made an impression on Guru Dan.

And Yes Guru Dan is a great teacher and a great person and he will deffinetly point you in the right direction if you want to go further in your training.
    If it wasn't for him many of us in the US wouldn't even know about SILAT. He has always been a huge influence on the US in Southeast Asian Martial Arts.

Adat & Hormat,
    silatyogi

8. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Ustadz Dan Inosanto?

With all due respect to Mr. Dan Inosanto I find it strange that he carries the title Ustadz, but I never hear of him techingthe reading of the Qur'an. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks

KC.

9. SilatSeeker

SilatSeeker Valued Member

Kiai, I'm a bit confused. I read the whole thread here - even did a search - no where can I find Danny Innosanto referred to as "Ustadz" except in your referrence. Did someone delete a post? What am I missing?

10. Kiai Carita

Not mentioned on this post, I have seen the title elswhere on the web.

KC

11. tellner

tellner Valued Member

The question isn't "What has Guru Inosanto learned?" It's "What hasn't he learned?" The man has been just about everywhere and studied just about everything, mastered most of it and has remained a wonderful human being. If anyone deserves the title Pendekar it's him.

12. SilatSeeker

Kiai,

Could you please reference the websites where you said Dan Innosanto refers to himself with the title of "Ustadz" or Pendekar?

13. Kiai Carita

I will when I come across one again, I did not note them but it has popped up more than once or twice while I surf. I do not mean any disrespect just curious whether the full meaning of the word was understood.

Salam,
    KC

14. Kiai Carita

A quick google search on ustadz did not match any documents but with ustad dan inosanto Mr google led me to the www.serak.com site, and a list of others below it. These guys seem to have the name Serak registered as a brand? With the R in a circle after the name? What does this mean?

Peace,
    Kiai Carita.

15. Silk Road

Silk Road New Member

Dan Insanto is most definately a Pendekar in every sense of the word. And as another poster has already stated, he is one of the most humble and approachable martial arts masters you will find. I have also never heard of anyone calling him 'Ustaz' except for that particular group. Perhaps they are unclear on the meaning of the word - which would make them just about as confused as many others in the western silat community regarding Malay culture.

16. SilatSeeker

Here is the context for this referrence...

"Here is one for the books, Sifu Bruce studied with Guru Reeders in the late sixties, and yes he studied Serak from him. It is hard to deny the fact that it is so, undeniable hand written notes depicting Sambut Lima and Sambut Buwang Satu and many Copies of personal notes given to me by Ustad (Senior Serak Teacher) Dan Inosanto. With permission from him, those handwritten notes are displayed on the VDT Academy Honor Wall."

Guru Dan was not referring to himself as "Ustad". The writer is a Dutch Indo. He's actually Dan's instructor in Serak. It's very possible they may not understand the word the way you do.

Yes, they have the word Serak(R) trademarked. If you are not aware of the politics of silat in the US between the different quarling factions - then there is not enough digital ink in this forum to cover it all. Seriously - you could make a movie about it. Brother against brother - school against school. Sad actually.

I'll let others educate you on this one - it will only turn to a flame war.

17. tellner

tellner Valued Member

He doesn't, which doesn't detract from the reality and underscores the man's very real modesty.

18. tellner

tellner Valued Member

To say that there is quarreling, fitneh and dissension in the American Sera/Serak/Serah community would be so gross an understatement as to be actively misleading. Guru Victor de Thouars trademarked that particular spelling as part of the unhappy events. You probably don't want to know much more than that. Lord knows those of us closer to the whole thing got tired of it years ago.

19. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

Kiai,
    Selamat. Guru Dan is a student of Pak Victor de Thouars (Also my teacher) in Pentjak Silat Serak. He has a private class every Tuesday, when possible, with Pak Vic. Guru Dan speaks very very highly of the art. He is now learning the last Phases of the art (as Pak Vic has arranged the material I believe), which when one understands what that entails, is extremely impressive when one remembers Guru Dan just turned 69 in July!
    Pak Vic registered the name Serak as a trademark because of certain individuals' flagrant misuse of the name. It is not my place to comment any farther on this issue.
    The word "Ustad" as I understand it from Pak Vic means "Wise" in the context of our aliran and has no Muslim connotations, nor would Pak Vic wish it to have any. I mean no offense by this statement, just giving the facts. Pak Vic gives this to Guru Dan to honor him and insure Guru Dan receives the recognition he most assuredly deserves.
    Hormat to you.

20. Monyet Nakal

Monyet Nakal Valued Member

I'm probably mistaken as I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but from what I understand the term 'Ustad' is not strictly Islamic in use. I sincerely hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but from what I had heard the term is of both hindu and urdu in origin and has proliferated to many cultures throughout southeast asia and the eastern middle east taking on different forms with specific meanings depending on the culture that is using it. But in general (if it is possible to 'average out' cross-cultural word usage) it seems to be used as a term for "someone who possess and shares great knowledge." Although the majority of instances I've seen it used it has been in connection to Moslem individuals, I've also seen it in reference to such diverse people as Zoroastrian theologists and hindustani musicians and poets.